Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Darchei binah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:51 pm
Anyone have any recent experiences going to DB? I see a lot of people writing about how it was 10 years ago, but I want to know peoples thoughts from the last couple of years. What are the girls like, how did they act? Were the classes and teachers good?
Any info would be much appreciated.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:12 pm
My dd was there 2019 and 2020 (till COVID) BH she loved. great group from all over. not a concentrated tri state crowd.
the classes were all levels....she loved. lots of personal connection with teachers...going to their homes etc. shabbosim are one wk at eim bayit and one at rabbi for those who want to stay in so that's a good solid options/backup.
it's Def not by ie no uniform, smart fones are fine. but for the most part girls are tsnius etc....but working to do better in all areas. hope this helps

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:15 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
My dad was there 2019 and 2020 (till COVID) BH she loved. great group from all over. not a concentrated tri state crowd.
the classes were all levels....she loved. lots of personal connection with teachers...going to their homes etc. shabbosim are one wk at eim bayit and one at rabbi for those who want to stay in so that's a good solid options/backup.
it's Def not by ie no uniform, smart fones are fine. but for the most part girls are tsnius etc....but working to do better in all areas. hope this helps

Ok great thank you so much!!

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:28 pm
Online school has become VERY common since COVID, so many of the larger seminaries will have encountered this by now. A super selective seminary could be selective about all kinds of things and this would only be one of them, so it is worth doing research on seminaries to make sure that they are a good fit. Darchei Bina is I think a great choice in this regard, if it's the kind of place that would be right for your daughter.

In general, the main things to bear in mind are a) if there are any extenuating circumstances, explain them to the school and b) make sure to get letters of recommendation from any rabbanim or teachers who can speak to your daughter's continued engagement in Jewish learning and Jewish community life. Because you don't have the seminary guidance structure you would have had in a high school, you will need to do a LOT of legwork and will want to get people (your rav, any of your daughter's former teachers who might be willing) to vouch for her and give them a nudge. Plenty of students do get in from online school so it is very doable!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Online school has become VERY common since COVID, so many of the larger seminaries will have encountered this by now. A super selective seminary could be selective about all kinds of things and this would only be one of them, so it is worth doing research on seminaries to make sure that they are a good fit. Darchei Bina is I think a great choice in this regard, if it's the kind of place that would be right for your daughter.

In general, the main things to bear in mind are a) if there are any extenuating circumstances, explain them to the school and b) make sure to get letters of recommendation from any rabbanim or teachers who can speak to your daughter's continued engagement in Jewish learning and Jewish community life. Because you don't have the seminary guidance structure you would have had in a high school, you will need to do a LOT of legwork and will want to get people (your rav, any of your daughter's former teachers who might be willing) to vouch for her and give them a nudge. Plenty of students do get in from online school so it is very doable!

Thanks so much for the advice! your message was very helpfull.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info