Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3-day yom tov with ONLY CHILD - help!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:31 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Ask your LOR, but afaik no one can do puzzles on Shabbos. It's considered like drawing.

Allowing it for young kids but not adults is a pretty common psak, and I even know adults who do puzzles.

(Side point is my kids don't know how to do jigsaw puzzles because we can't teach them on shabbos and don't have time during the week- otherwise thwyre super advanced, just don't know how to do puzzles)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:37 pm
kermit wrote:
I need links for what to buy that will actually keep him occupied for large periods of time

I know pesach is 3 weeks away but I'm already having anxiety

it's just so. many. long hours -- mornings, afternoons, and evenings.

My son is 7, I'm willing to spend on items to keep him busy bc it's pikuach nefesh for me but I need ideas that will actually work

-He LOVES to read graphic novels (but already read most of what library has including dogman, hilo etc etc open to suggestions of series tho)
-He loves playing cars (but already has all the hot wheels stuff)
-Board games are too short to be useful, I'll do 3 rounds of chutes and ladders with him and it's only used up 30 minutes Sad
-Too young for lego; too old for Playmobil he doesn't like it anymore

We have cousins 10 minutes away we can visit for a bit, but that's it. We're home alone first days. Tried inviting people for meals cuz that takes up most of the day but no one is else I know in walkable distance is staying home Sad

So far, I'm thinking we'll walk all the way to Sunset park one afternoon, that's going to take up a long time.

I'm just flummoxed. my brain can't even process how I'm going to handle these upcoming hours and hours and hours.

Does he like to build, enjoy imaginative play? MagnaTiles (brand name) are wonderful.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:38 pm
cookier wrote:
I was probably about that age when I got my first Lego set. I’ve bought them for 5 year olds before (with their mother’s permission, because you will be the one cleaning up at that age). He might not be too young unless he has fine motor issues.

Here are some other building toys: https://www.lakeshorelearning......D_BwE

https://www.lakeshorelearning......D_BwE

TINKERTOY - Retro Building Tin - 100 Parts - Collectible Tin - Ages 3+ https://a.co/d/1N5DxP6

FEBFOXS magnetic ball run https://www.walmart.com/ip/1042742755

PicassoTiles 100 Pcs Magnetic Building Block Mini Diamond Series Travel Size On-The-Go Magnet Construction Toy Set STEM Learning Kit Educational Playset Child Brain Development Stacking Blocks PTM100 https://a.co/d/9xe1IH1

https://www.lakeshorelearning......D_BwE

Maybe one or two of these and a few new books?
Same situation here.
Thanks for the links!!

behappy2

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 8:52 pm
Some games he might like

Bumping boats
Even Stevens odd
Mastermind
Checkers
Chess
Racko
Bears and bees
Skipbo
Touring
Cover your assets

Lots of 100 piece puzzles are great for kids this age

Maybe get him a Lego set that is supposed to be a car or truck instead of classic lego

Bikes, scooters, roller blades and balls are great

Big trucks

Maybe get him into some new skill. So for example next level puzzles, books, learn sign language, Spanish, something that will get him involved and excited for a long while.

Maybe try inviting over someone you dont know. Call some organizations that may know ppl who need to get hosted, like divorcees, almanos, etc..or post on neighborhood chat.

Hatzlocha!

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Allowing it for young kids but not adults is a pretty common psak, and I even know adults who do puzzles.

(Side point is my kids don't know how to do jigsaw puzzles because we can't teach them on shabbos and don't have time during the week- otherwise thwyre super advanced, just don't know how to do puzzles)

You don't need to teach kids how to do puzzles. Just provide puzzles and they'll learn when they're interested.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:16 pm
Here are some things that have gotten us (mostly) happily through many Shabbosim and Yomim Tovim with just our nuclear family in a small apartment:

[*] I find I'm a much happier mommy when we get out and get to shul at least for a little bit. I need to see and talk to other humans
[*] I pre-make "scavenger hunt" lists for walks (find a red bird, a garbage truck, count how many dogs you see, etc.). We don't mark what we find, just keep a mental note, but I'm sure there's a y"t appropriate way you could, like paper clips or something, if you want to. You could also make this for things around the house (e.g., find something with an M on it, something made of wood, something with wheels, etc.) and then you can sit on the couch while he runs around to find things
[*] If the kids have lots of energy and we can't get outside to a park for some reason (raining or whatever), I make an obstacle course in the apartment (hop over the pillow, do ten jumping jacks, hop on one foot 10 times, skip around the table, then come back and tag me)
[*] Could he be responsible for a job (or two) each day? Peel and cut with a kid-appropriate knife lots of different fruits for a fruit salad? Get toothpicks and arrange the fruit pieces into fun fruit sculptures to eat?
[*] Charades -- act out the Pesach story, act like different makkos and try to guess, etc.
[*] My kids think it's super fancy when I make a "charcuterie" board of snacks for them -- I basically just cut up some fruit/veggies and put it on one of my regular cutting boards in a fun pattern with nuts or raisins or cheese or whatever. It stops the constant whining for snacks... for a little bit at least
[*] When all else fails... chocolate! We are usually a limited-sweets family, but all bets are off to get through Shabbos or Yom Tov. I've already stocked up on little chocolates from Bingo for just this purpose. I've also bought other special KLP snacks -- applesauce squeezers, dehydrated fruit, etc. Have at it, kids!

So many great books and games mentioned here already. Here are a few you might be able to get at your public library. They are kosher enough for my family, YMMV, but they're very tame.
[*] Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel
[*] Little Bear series by Else Holmelund Minarik
[*] Unlimited Squirrels series by Mo Willems
[*] We also like to get a lot of the big "coffee table" -type books (DK publishing company makes a lot of them) that have beautiful pictures and facts -- things about animals, different countries, etc. Even if the children can't read all of the text independently, they're fun to look through alone or together and learn different facts

I am also really anxious for the upcoming gauntlet of three-day yomim tovim. I so desperately want my children to have happy, positive associations with yiddishkeit and not remember their mommy being a grouch the whole time. I'm trying to do things that will make it nicer for them... and for me. New robe, lots of books on hold waiting for us at the library, buying some new toys, special foods, etc.

Let's all of us mothers daven for each other that we should have patience and joy for Pesach and beyond. I know I feel really anxious and isolated sometimes on y"t, but knowing we're all in this together and davening for each other makes it not so lonely. Hug

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:27 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Ask your LOR, but afaik no one can do puzzles on Shabbos. It's considered like drawing.

There’s deff a diff in opinions here.
I’m yeshivish and I follow very respected rabonim and they allow children to do puzzles. Everyone can ask their own rav.

twogees

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:28 pm
My 7 yr old (also an only child) has a ton of Lego. He plays with them alot.
Here is a bunch of games we have that he plays:
-Set- When we play, we play a few rounds before I have enough but that's usually 4 rounds which can take a while.
-Rummy can also take a while bec it's still a newer game(for us) and I will mix some math problems in at times.
-Othello is another option.
-Rush hour is something he can play by himself
-blokus
Some of these games he plays by himself as well.

naomi2

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:32 pm
Go to shul in the morning
Go to the parks in your neighborhood
Arrange playdates
Arrange Visit family for longer for the evening of the last day when there is nothing to prepare and no meal ahead.
Go for a walk
Make a brachos party for the neighborhood kids

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 9:55 pm
What about 1 player games like rush hour.
Even two player games he plays himself. My son plays chess against himself. Othello also...

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 10:13 pm
My 7 year old dd loves the kichels comics we bought the newest one for pesach

mfb

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 10:24 pm
Not sure if it was mentioned but years ago the maze balls used to keep my kids really busy.
If he can read then the amazing facts and feats book takes time to read and gives some knowledge.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 10:33 pm
How about tintin comic books. Hit Jewish but my kids love them even the little ones who can’t read

sbil

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 10:37 pm
Mazeball
Scooter
Othello
I spy books

mfb

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 10:42 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
How about tintin comic books. Hit Jewish but my kids love them even the little ones who can’t read

Yes these are amazing!!!
Mine are so used I could probably use a new set. My kids look at them over and over again.

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:10 pm
My six year old and I enjoy uno, monopoly deal, sequence and sorry. Hatzlacha!!!

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:42 pm
My 8 year old has been playing with marble rush by v-tech that he got as a gift. I actually added another set to it. It keeps him entertained for hours. (used to have another company that has the same idea but the pieces would tip over and come apart, these are made really well)
Mitzvah miles is also a great game but its for more than one person

Last edited by amother on Fri, Mar 17 2023, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

twogees

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:10 am
My son also likes uno flip. The flip aspect adds a fun twist to it.

rowo

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:29 am
Another vote for trying Lego again.
A new Lego set where you follow instructions is very different to playing with a box of mixed Lego.

Adding to existing sets like playmobile definitely reignites interest in the old pieces.

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:29 am
amother Latte wrote:
Are you sure he's too young for Lego? My 6 year old can sit and play with Lego for hours

Agree my son plays with Lego for hours since he was about 4/5
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics