Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I hate carpets!
1  2  Next

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:13 am
My whole apartment is carpeted except the kitchen and bathrooms and I hate it! Life with little kids includes almost daily incidents of spilling, spitting up, accidents... and then we're stuck living with a splotchy, wet, smelly thing on the floor.

I haven't found any way to really clean it. Baking soda lightens the stains but doesn't remove them. Downy Unstoppables make it smell good for a few minutes when I vacuum. Cleaning sprays make it look and smell fresh for a bit, but then the stains are back.

And Friday night, we eat in the dining room and I can't sweep the crumbs afterwards. I have to leave the mess until Shabbos ends. Pesach is the worst- 3 days of matzah crumbs coating the carpet and cleaning it up is impossible.

End rant.

If anyone knows any magic solutions, I would love to know.

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:21 am
What's underneath?
I would rather have cheap vinyl than carpet. So I would get rid of it.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:22 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
What's underneath?
I would rather have cheap vinyl than carpet. So I would get rid of it.

Exactly this I got rid of all carpet and put in cheap lvt. It’s not great but I’m so much happier

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:28 am
Yes me too. Hate it hate it.

Buy a carpet cleaner. So worth it.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:34 am
Folex carpet spray.

FOLEX Instant Carpet Spot Remover + Daley Mint Cloth | Instant Rug, Upholstery, and Carpet Spot Remover Kit for Home, 32oz https://a.co/d/5e4yW6W

I heard about it from imamother. Works wonders on some of my carpet stains.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:45 am
I use sprays too but they don’t remove the dirt and smells just the surface stains.

I have a vax spot wash and I use it on all upholstery, rugs and carpets.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 8:49 am
Baruch HaShem in Israel it's rare to find wall to wall carpeting which frankly is just disgusting..

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 9:05 am
I got rid of my carpet. Long live wood flooring!

amother
Melon

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 9:12 am
I hear you. I refuse to put carpet in my dining room.

There is a "manual vacuum" that you can use on shabbos. I think it's called a fuller brush or something like that.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 10:00 am
But a bissel sweeper for shabbos

bsy

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 10:51 am
I can't understand carpet either. Gross. Who wants to step on something that is never washed?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 10:57 am
If you are renting, you can install linoleum or vinyl flooring over the carpet in areas of high use. This way you can remove before moving. I once saw someone had a flooring roll they spread out onto the carpet., not sure what material it was.

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 11:00 am
Me too!!! I can't stand it. And it's dark and ugly color. So stained. And smells. Dh doesn't want to pay to shampoo it. He said it's gonna get dirty again. TMI

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 11:33 am
Yep, when we moved into our house 4 years ago, there was carpet. At first we were going to leave it until it died as it was in good shape but I was getting so irritated trying to clean and sweep. And within weeks there were stains on the carpet I couldn't get out (I have no idea how the previous owners with 3 kids kept it so pristine)
After a few months we had the carpet taken up downstairs and vinyl flooring put down. It was the best $2000 dollars spent. The rooms suddenly looked bigger and more airy and it is so much easier to clean.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 11:36 am
Me too! When we bought our house, I took out the carpet in the living room/dining room area and hallway and kept it in the bedroom because I was really not thinking things through fully. It was the dumbest idea. I should have done it all at once. The carpet was impossible to clean, and was getting more and more moldy smelling over time. I took it out this week and it is life changing. Its the only solution.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 11:42 am
amother Silver wrote:
If you are renting, you can install linoleum or vinyl flooring over the carpet in areas of high use. This way you can remove before moving. I once saw someone had a flooring roll they spread out onto the carpet., not sure what material it was.

When I rented and had a really difficult landlord, I negotiated to get him to remove the carpet that was in the living/dining room which made a big difference.

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:08 pm
I love love love my carpeting. We sit on the floor all the time with the kids. 1. It’s only upstairs. 2. We have a strict no shoes in the house rule. 3. We have a strict food only at the table rule.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:42 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I hear you. I refuse to put carpet in my dining room.

There is a "manual vacuum" that you can use on shabbos. I think it's called a fuller brush or something like that.
Bissell carpet sweeper

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:46 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Yep, when we moved into our house 4 years ago, there was carpet. At first we were going to leave it until it died as it was in good shape but I was getting so irritated trying to clean and sweep. And within weeks there were stains on the carpet I couldn't get out (I have no idea how the previous owners with 3 kids kept it so pristine)
After a few months we had the carpet taken up downstairs and vinyl flooring put down. It was the best $2000 dollars spent. The rooms suddenly looked bigger and more airy and it is so much easier to clean.

Did you use someone or installed it yourself?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Mar 17 2023, 12:57 pm
Not everyone holds you can use a carpet sweeper on Shabbos. Ask your LOR.

I had carpet in my dining room for close to 18 years! Then I moved to my house, and I remember the first Pesach here, as I gleefully swept my wood floors.....(I used to try to "sweep" the carpet....it took all my energy, just about....)

I do have carpets in my living room, family room, and some bedrooms. I have a Bissel carpet cleaner, that I use every so often to freshen up the carpets. It doesn't get all stains out....but it does get it quite clean (the water turns BLACK...and that's after a good vacuuming) and it's always so soft and fresh after a cleaning. And it smells wonderful!

Just did this last Sunday...and it's so nice! I highly recommend, they are not super-expensive (we got ours once on a special for about $50, plus the costs of the actual solution...not expensive, really.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry