Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Smart phone to Dumb Phone "upgrade"

What kind of phone do you have?
Smart Phone  
 67%  [ 66 ]
Tagged/filtered Smart Phone  
 9%  [ 9 ]
Kosher smart phone  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Dumb phone  
 22%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 98

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 10:12 pm
I'm looking to downgrade to a kosher phone (upgrade?)
Currently have a smart phone but I'm feeling like I'm ready to take the plunge. I want to be a better role model for my girls.
I'm scared! Isn't that silly?
Are there flip phones that have Waze and WattsApp?
Ahhhhhhhh
Should I do it?
Share your thoughts.
Want to switch with me?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:03 pm
Take the plunge - do it all the way. Its hard but you will get used to it. You can have watsapp on a computer and a separate waze device. I did it and it was hard. but it is defintely worth it.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Mar 18 2023, 11:11 pm
Kudos to you!!

All dumb phones are basically smart phones now so you can buy them from a frum store, put a filter on it, etc. You can definitely get a phone with Whatsapp or Waze but it may just be a tiny bit inconvenient since it's not such a big screen and usually not touchscreen. Alternatively, you can have a separate device with only Waze on it.

Waze device example

https://www.thesafecell.com/pr.....ustom

losingweight

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:05 am
There's a phone that's very filtered and has waze, banking and uber and email. It's sold in stores in brooklyn, I'm not familiar with the name of it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:05 am
Thank you both!
Unfortunately I need WattsApp for work @Cerise . . . So it does make it a little bit more complicated.
I could say no wattsapp but it would make things inconvenient for my co-workers . . . Maybe I will anyway.

@black thank you for that link!!!!
Brilliant.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:07 am
losingweight wrote:
There's a phone that's very filtered and has waze, banking and uber and email. It's sold in stores in brooklyn, I'm not familiar with the name of it.

I forgot about banking!!! Oh my goodness this is crazy. My phone makes life so convenient. This is a real nisayon. No joke.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:37 am
Cant you just get your phone extremely filtered through gentech and then have TAG white list some of your apps and app store?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:49 am
I have a flip phone plus a galaxy tablet for waze, banking, emails, etc. PLUS it's synced to my phone so I can text from it! (Thru verizon) That's the biggest thing for je, being able to text normally if I have anything longer than one sentence to write. Obviously not as convenient but that's the point!

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:06 am
I've taken the plunge. Really not easy, it took me very long to get used to, like learning a new language. Was totally worth it though. Adds a lot of quality of life.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:37 am
amother Gold wrote:
I have a flip phone plus a galaxy tablet for waze, banking, emails, etc. PLUS it's synced to my phone so I can text from it! (Thru verizon) That's the biggest thing for je, being able to text normally if I have anything longer than one sentence to write. Obviously not as convenient but that's the point!

so then you're paying for 2 plans each month!

and even those who just use waze device - need to pay for that data - so again, you're paying for 2 plans each month. Hmm

And what about camera use?

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:07 am
amother Gold wrote:

Can you tell me how this works. Especially the texting

practically speaking how is this ser up.Can I have data on my phone and only wifi on tablet and tether to the phones plan?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:20 am
I have a flip phone (with a simple gps) called the sunbeam orchid. I still have my filtered smart phone but can only use it when connected to wifi. This is an idea if you don't need Whatsapp 24/7.;I can't get distracted in the car with it but can use it at work or home.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:15 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
I have a flip phone (with a simple gps) called the sunbeam orchid. I still have my filtered smart phone but can only use it when connected to wifi. This is an idea if you don't need Whatsapp 24/7.;I can't get distracted in the car with it but can use it at work or home.

Do you feel like youre able to stay away from the filtered smart phone? Does it stay in a drawer or is it out a lot

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:46 pm
amother Honey wrote:
so then you're paying for 2 plans each month!

and even those who just use waze device - need to pay for that data - so again, you're paying for 2 plans each month. Hmm

And what about camera use?

Bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics