Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
At what age would you allow your child to play outside alone
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:38 am
I’m the only parent watching my kids on a block with a hundred or so kids playing outside. Parents, you have NO idea what your kids are up to when you’re not looking. Especially the boys. If your kids are worth anything to you, please watch them!!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:46 am
It’s not just about cars, there are crazy crazy people out there.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:52 am
amother Seablue wrote:
I live in Flatbush on an all frum block and let my 4 yr old outside alone but constantly check on him and he is very responsible never goes in street etc. So much depends on block and the kid

I grew up in Flatbush on an all frum block and please don't do this. A four year old needs parental supervision when outside in Brooklyn.

Have a frum man that ds never met drive by and call ds over to the car. See what ds does.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:03 am
This fear of allowing kids to play outside

Was created by the media who make it sound

That kidnapping is common. It is extremely rare.

Your child is much more at risk driving in a car,

Than walking to school or playing outside.

Until recently, everyone allowed kids to play outside

From age 4 or 5.

Dennis the Menace was age 4, played alone outside.

Peter from The Snowy Day was around 4, played alone outside.

Ramona and Howie walked to school at age 5, including crossing streets without a,traffic light.

I let From age 4 or 5 if there were a group of other kids playing outside.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:11 am
Around five. When they’re old enough to come and go by themselves and to not run into the street.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:16 am
amother Dill wrote:
I’m the only parent watching my kids on a block with a hundred or so kids playing outside. Parents, you have NO idea what your kids are up to when you’re not looking. Especially the boys. If your kids are worth anything to you, please watch them!!

This used to be me. There is always that one.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:26 am
These things are so cultural and individual.
I once got blasted on here for having my then 9 year old run errands when I was pregnant in 90 degrees before YT. She is now nearly 11 and running errands all over town with the baby in the stroller. Before Pesach The streets are full of girls her age pushing strollers. Huge help bh.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:33 am
top mom wrote:
A 4 year old is very young, even if it seems like he's cautious by nature. At that age they lack the maturity for dealing with many situations.
My mature, extra cautious 6 yr old dd ran right into a car when I was picking her up from a playdate.
She's ok now bh,but no mother should ever have to witness that sight.
Trusting a 4!!! year old?
I wouldn't.

He happens to be way more cautious regarding cars coming into the driveway etc than my 7yr old. I have an eye around my property as well and checking on him every few min.
I am the cautious mom in my development lol. Moms letting their 2-3 yr olds play on their own......
It's not facing a road....

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:38 am
amother Dill wrote:

That used to be me, too.

I hated being the policewoman on the block and being responsible for everyone elses children.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:45 am
7? absolutely not. maybe 12-13.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:57 am
I live in center of bp in a very yiddish neighborhood. There are all ages playing outside without supervision. There are 5 year Olds watching 2 year olds....

Parents have no clue of what is going on.

The real danger is not the cars or the driveways. It's the other kids.....

I've seen boys playing doctor. One child was the patient and all the kids got to see him naked. Nothing happened beyond that but that is bad enough. I informed the parents, kids admitted it and "said" they won't do it again and all of them continue playing together outside unsupervised...

I've seen kids call hotlines the parents don't feel is appropriate for children ....

Parents seem to rely on miracles. They're so oblivious because life is hard, it's easier to send them out to play alone.

Years later, they can't imagine where they were exposed to xyz...

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:19 am
amother Milk wrote:
That used to be me, too.

I hated being the policewoman on the block and being responsible for everyone elses children.

I’m not the policewoman and I do not feel responsible for anyone else’s kids. I’m just saying what I watch. The real danger isn’t strangers, or even cars. The real danger is what kids are doing to other kids, and what kids are getting into.

Some real things I watched, and this is not an extensive list at all:
Kids playing with the rat poison box
Kids shoving a dead rat around
Kids climbing fire escapes from the ground up
Kids climbing on and around trash cans
Kids pushing each other into the road
Running after balls in the road
Two year olds being “watched” by six year olds
Baby in stroller being totally ignored by older sibling who’s “watching” them, in some cases the stroller rolling into the road

Before you say my kids would never do these things, don’t. If you’re not watching them, you have no idea.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:24 am
amother Teal wrote:
7? absolutely not. maybe 12-13.

You don't let a 10 year old leave the house on his own ever? Not even to play in front of the house? Wow

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:25 am
amother Dill wrote:
I’m not the policewoman and I do not feel responsible for anyone else’s kids. I’m just saying what I watch. The real danger isn’t strangers, or even cars. The real danger is what kids are doing to other kids, and what kids are getting into.

Umm if someone falls down or got badly hurt I wasnt going to ignore so yes, that made me the policewoman.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:25 am
amother Freesia wrote:
I live in center of bp in a very yiddish neighborhood. There are all ages playing outside without supervision. There are 5 year Olds watching 2 year olds....

I've seen boys playing doctor. One child was the patient and all the kids got to see him naked. Nothing happened beyond that but that is bad enough. I informed the parents, kids admitted it and "said" they won't do it again and all of them continue playing together outside unsupervised...

I've seen kids call hotlines the parents don't feel is appropriate for children ....

Parents seem to rely on miracles. They're so oblivious because life is hard, it's easier to send them out to play alone.

This happens indoors too, under your own watch sometimes. It’s not specific to the outdoors.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:27 am
amother Milk wrote:
Umm if someone falls down or got badly hurt I wasnt going to ignore so yes, that made me the policewoman.

Not my circus, not my monkeys. If a parent was watching their kids and had to run inside for a minute and asked me to watch their kids, of course I would do it. Otherwise, no. There’s no way for me to be responsible for over a hundred kids outside.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:29 am
I allowed from age 4 to play in the backyard without me being outside , yet I keep an eye out every so often from the window.

I’m getting very stressed that my daughter sees our new neighbors playing in our cul de sac. I’ve never let her out of my driveway until now. I start allowing street crossing at age 7-8 usually. Rural area. Now I found her playing in middle of the road , with cars coming in and out and she doesn’t understand why it’s safe for someone else but not safe for her. She threw a full blown tantrum when I told her that she may not go into the road. It’s going to be a challenging spring and summer.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:32 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
This fear of allowing kids to play outside

Was created by the media who make it sound

That kidnapping is common. It is extremely rare.

Your child is much more at risk driving in a car,

Than walking to school or playing outside.

Until recently, everyone allowed kids to play outside

From age 4 or 5.

Dennis the Menace was age 4, played alone outside.

Peter from The Snowy Day was around 4, played alone outside.

Ramona and Howie walked to school at age 5, including crossing streets without a,traffic light.

I let From age 4 or 5 if there were a group of other kids playing outside.

My concern isn't kidnapping. It's cars on the street and backing in and out of driveways. Kids aren't always aware if they are super involved in their playing and drivers can miss seeing a kid run after a ball suddenly. There have unfortunately been tragic stories.
BTW I wouldn't raise my kids based on the way fictional story characters from the 50s lived. A lot less drivers and traffic on the road, totally not comparable to today. The Quimby's lived in a quiet residential area, too. Not exactly like most frum communities these days with cars zooming around and distracted drivers on phones or texting.

(And you might want to look up the real Dennis the Menace and see how his life turned out....not well. Poor parenting and lack of involved parents definitely contributed to his sad life story.)

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:48 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I told my son that he could play between Aryeh’s house and Dovid’s house. If he wants to go inside anyone’s home, he needs to ask. Same with going further with a friend.
This was a few years ago. We are in Israel which is different. He is 11 now and has much more lax rules.

Because parents think it is different, unfortunate stories have happened. Please, please rethink safety rules...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:20 pm
amother Freesia wrote:

And when your children have a play date over, on a rainy day, are you supervising the entire time? Do you not go into another room to use the restroom or switch the laundry or cleanup etc?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries