Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dr. Shmuel Mandelman
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 5:42 am
I never heard of him but read Mishpacha's article this week. He may be just what we need. My dd has been to various professionals with no clear diagnosis, but challenges, and we ended up with the adhd stamp and meds even though it wasn't a clear case. This have recently spun downward, and I would be interested in seeing what he has to offer.

Does anyone here have first-hand experience?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:25 am
It was an excellent article in the Mishpacha. Hatzlocha with what you decide to do.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:27 am
There are other threads…
After seeing many professionals and not getting any real diagnosis for my son, we went to Mandelman. Once again, no diagnosis. It’s a few years later and it’s obvious that there is something very wrong.
He was kind of the last straw we were holding on to…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:43 am
Thanks. I just did a search and see there are quite a few posts. None of the threads are very recent, so if anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate it.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:29 am
Where are you located?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 7:46 am
I'm confused. I thought his name was Eli.

I spoke to a Dr. Mandelbaum the psychoneurologist referred by Relief.

He gave me of his time on the phone for free. I was really touched by his kindness and altruism.

He couldn't get us a diagnosis. He did help me realize that what I see and live with is the reality regardless if there's a specific diagnosis or not.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:03 am
We had a very good experience with him.
He got the problem in one session and seemed very knowledgeable.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:04 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I'm confused. I thought his name was Eli.

I spoke to a Dr. Mandelbaum the psychoneurologist referred by Relief.

He gave me of his time on the phone for free. I was really touched by his kindness and altruism.

He couldn't get us a diagnosis. He did help me realize that what I see and live with is the reality regardless if there's a specific diagnosis or not.

That is Eli Mandelbaum. This is Shmuel Mandelman. Different last names and different first names.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:22 am
I wasn't aware that he works in lakewood. Did anyone see him there, or know if he takes insurance at all? Also have u gone to him just for diagnosis and treatment plan, or does he stay involved in continued care. Thanks

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:28 am
Lakewood? I had to drive from Lakewood to Brooklyn. It was a one time thing.
Maybe he moved here like everyone else…

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:29 am
I went to him, probably about a year ago. I hear d so much about him, I was hoping for a miracle.
waited so long for the appointment and so much disappointment. Just one more stop in my journey...

He was very nice and said a few very things we hadn't heard before, but really nothing earth-shattering.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:55 am
Not a positive experience. Talked to dc for ten minutes.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:32 am
I didn’t find that he did a real evaluation… spoke a little for a few minutes without me in the room then called me in… I left feeling very frustrated that I took my child out of school, drove to Brooklyn and after years of getting no where, I put so much hope in this meeting but it was pretty worthless. I know some people are very satisfied and that’s why I made an appointment …but I can’t say he helped us.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:02 pm
Anyone seen him recently? Bec the article in mishpacha says he has an office in brick and is there a few days a week (?) That wld be a whole lot more convenient than shlepping to NY. Also wondering about whether he accepts insurance

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:26 pm
AFAIK he doesn’t take insurance

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:40 pm
I have no experience using him but please don't give up.

Keep trying until you get the help you need, I've been in therapy for years and the one that really sped up the process was a student so you don't always need to rely on the big names.

Having said that maybe Mordechai Weinberger's office can help out? I'm not sure how it works with them nowadays but it's worth looking into

This is in response to the person who wants help for her child and hasn't found the right therapist/psychiatrist yet

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:42 pm
Had a horrible experience with him. Spoke to my 7
Yr old for 3 min and labeled him. Bh for more experienced professionals that got our son the help he needed but felt so unheard by him.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:46 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Had a horrible experience with him. Spoke to my 7
Yr old for 3 min and labeled him. Bh for more experienced professionals that got our son the help he needed but felt so unheard by him.

How did he label him in 3 minutes?? What did he tell you to do next?

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:50 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
How did he label him in 3 minutes?? What did he tell you to do next?

Said it’s not adhd it’s anxiety. Didn’t even fully assess the situation enough to know him.

Anyways I know others that went that had a different experience but I don’t think that he is the “be all end all” there are a lot of other amazing compassionate and knowledgeable professionals out there. We’ve been thru it and got to know them

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Said it’s not adhd it’s anxiety. Didn’t even fully assess the situation enough to know him.

Anyways I know others that went that had a different experience but I don’t think that he is the “be all end all” there are a lot of other amazing compassionate and knowledgeable professionals out there. We’ve been thru it and got to know them

And does he have adhd?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics