Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Can this skirt be saved?

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 12:29 pm
I mistakenly put a wool skirt in the washing machine. It came out looking kind of funky. Is there anything I can do to save it?

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 1:52 pm
Define "funky." Full of lint? Shrunken? Creased? Faded? Pilled?

If linty, dampen a new sponge and whisk it along the surface of the fabric, OR brush it with a clean lint brush of the sort men use to brush dust off their fedoras, OR run a Lint-Pic-Up roller all over the fabric, OR wrap sticky tape around your hand and do the same thing, OR use your vacuum cleaner's upholstery attachment.

If shrunken, soak it in lukewarm water to which you've added some hair conditioner or fabric softener. Rinse and squeeze--don't twist--out as much water as you can. Lay it on a thick towel, roll up like a jelly roll, and kneel on it to squeeze out more water. Unroll, place on a dry towel and gently stretch it back into shape and size. Air-dry till just barely damp, then press with a dry pressing cloth and a steam iron.

If creased, spray or sprinkle lightly with cold water, then press with a damp press cloth and steam iron.

If pilled, invest in a fabric shaver. Place on a hard,flat surface and gently shave away pills.

If faded, you're out of luck unless you're an acknowledged fashion leader and can pull off claiming that this is an upscale version of spatter-look jeans and the latest "look".

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:13 pm
Thanks for your help zaq. It’s creased in funny places and shaking it out isn’t helping. The hemline seems to be uneven. Should I send it to the dry cleaners tomorrow?

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 3:15 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
Thanks for your help zaq. It’s creased in funny places and shaking it out isn’t helping. The hemline seems to be uneven. Should I send it to the dry cleaners tomorrow?

Let an experienced dry cleaner look at it and judge if it can be new looking again.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 6:24 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Let an experienced dry cleaner look at it and judge if it can be new looking again.

Good idea. Will do. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry