Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sports bra for sensitive teen

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 8:50 pm
My daughter has been wearing the gap camis, with the piece under for some coverage. She complains about it being tight and bothering her. I made her wear them anyway. She's ready for the next step but she's already freaking out about it bothering her even more. She's very sensitive to clothing. So what's a good sports bra that will give her a bit more support for tshirts in the summer but she won't complain about too much? Any good options?

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:19 pm
Where do you live? You should take her to a store that will fit her with something she finds comfortable. I know stores in a few different areas that are helpful.
I can tell you what works for my girls but it might not be comfortable for your daughter.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:40 pm
We tried so many on Amazon, Gap and other places, and returned every one.
We end up going to Macy's and trying everything on in one place until she said this one in this size. No other way for us to do it with such sensitivities.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 9:40 pm
Another vote for take her to a store. My teen had a positive experience at MySelf in Boro Park but ymmv because this is so individual. My kid is medium-sensitive so I can't speak for a super sensory experience but the person who worked with her seemed gentle.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:12 pm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B.....ss_tl
My daughter will only wear these

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 10:38 pm
seeker wrote:
Another vote for take her to a store. My teen had a positive experience at MySelf in Boro Park but ymmv because this is so individual. My kid is medium-sensitive so I can't speak for a super sensory experience but the person who worked with her seemed gentle.

I was going to suggest myself in lakewood…

This worked well for one daughter
https://myselflingerie.com/col.....89101

This worked well for another
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071.....ss_tl

Really pays to take her to the store. I’m the type who likes to order everything online but this shopping trip is important. Once you know what she likes you can just order a few of the same one.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:01 pm
One reason sensory people especially are better off in a fitting store is because each time you try on the wrong one, it stresses out those sensory nerves. Even in a store I often need to quit and come back a couple of times, but I've found that the best stores are able to zoom in on the right piece for me without having to try on the wrong ones first. When I go to a place, whether on my own or with a fitter who isn't that experienced, where I need to try on a few things, I often end up with nothing or with the wrong thing because my nerves get all scrambled until I don't even know what's flying. Then the next day I either have nothing because I gave up, or I have something that isn't the right feel because when I tried it on I just didn't know what was flying anymore.

taketwo

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:05 pm
True&co have some very comfortable bras

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:23 pm
seeker wrote:
One reason sensory people especially are better off in a fitting store is because each time you try on the wrong one, it stresses out those sensory nerves. Even in a store I often need to quit and come back a couple of times, but I've found that the best stores are able to zoom in on the right piece for me without having to try on the wrong ones first. When I go to a place, whether on my own or with a fitter who isn't that experienced, where I need to try on a few things, I often end up with nothing or with the wrong thing because my nerves get all scrambled until I don't even know what's flying. Then the next day I either have nothing because I gave up, or I have something that isn't the right feel because when I tried it on I just didn't know what was flying anymore.

Agreed, but....
You definitely do not want a fitter who will want to touch. Many sensory people will not want to be measured- a good store will hand her the tape and let her do it herself with guidance. And be aware that especially in some of these stores where it's crowded with merchandise and often people, the whole experience is overwhelming. I like to have dd measure at home and order a bunch that look right. Then dd tries on one every day or two until she finds one she likes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children