Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
At my wits end 4 and 5 YO daytime
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:05 am
amother Pink wrote:
Aside from the pinworm issue which a lot of mothers here are giving suggestions about I just want to say it’s totally ok to go to pull-ups fully as a RESET. When you feel like things are 100% under control you can try again they will be just fine!

There no way they will wear that to school. Def not my 5yo.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:59 am
I don't have a solution for you. I'm going through the same thing with my son who is six. He just doesn't feel the need to go. Banging head

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:05 am
Have you checked for strep?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:40 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Have you checked for strep?

Strep? Ongoing for a few years? No symptoms?

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Strep? Ongoing for a few years? No symptoms?
Sure. Strep can become chronic and subclinical. If it doesn't show in a culture you can ask for titers. Treating for chronic strep has made a big difference here in terms of accidents and enuresis

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:49 am
amother Poppy wrote:
I don't have a solution for you. I'm going through the same thing with my son who is six. He just doesn't feel the need to go. Banging head

Oy. Yes he just doesn't care to go. At least at home.
What boggles and disturbs me most is why he does that in cheder too sometimes. He's told me lately that some kids are saying he smells. The kid who sits next to him always moves up bit away from him. His close friends no longer want to play with him because he smells. I honestly didn't dream he does that in cheder too. He does come home wet sometimes but I always thought it's from the bus (he has a long ride) because that's what he told me. He does seem to have control when he really wants to so I always thought he controls in cheder. When he told me the above about his friends I explained to him that even a bit can start smelling so he should go right when he needs. I really hope he got the message. He does come home dry most days lately. He says those friends still aren't playing with him.
My heart breaks. But what can I do??
My fear is that DD is getting older too and I really really don't want her to have the same.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:50 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Sure. Strep can become chronic and subclinical. If it doesn't show in a culture you can ask for titers. Treating for chronic strep has made a big difference here in terms of accidents and enuresis

Thanks. Another thing to add to the list for when I go to pediatrician.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:51 am
Also if your kids are mouth breathers or have enlarged tonsils or adenoids you may want to address that. Also pelvic floor therapy can help.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oy. Yes he just doesn't care to go. At least at home.
What boggles and disturbs me most is why he does that in cheder too sometimes. He's told me lately that some kids are saying he smells. The kid who sits next to him always moves up bit away from him. His close friends no longer want to play with him because he smells. I honestly didn't dream he does that in cheder too. He does come home wet sometimes but I always thought it's from the bus (he has a long ride) because that's what he told me. He does seem to have control when he really wants to so I always thought he controls in cheder. When he told me the above about his friends I explained to him that even a bit can start smelling so he should go right when he needs. I really hope he got the message. He does come home dry most days lately. He says those friends still aren't playing with him.
My heart breaks. But what can I do??
My fear is that DD is getting older too and I really really don't want her to have the same.

It’s not so mind boggling, it’s literally not within their control. It took me a while to realize that and I used to get so frustrated. But it’s really not their fault.
Btw, pinworms can cause UTIs in girls so that can add to the incontinence too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:25 pm
So it's confirmed. I spotted a pinworm in the uhh, let's just say toilet bowl earlier.

What now. Should I just do vermox? Did anyone have any side effects? I'm really not a medication proponent, but if that's what I have to do then I will.

Is detergent good enough to kill them for laundry or must I use hot water? What about the eggs?
Should I wash all linen the day of treatment? A day or 2 after? After every dose?

Do I treat only the 2 kids or everyone?

The biggest question - what can I do to prevent recurrence? Other than hand washing and keeping nails short.

Forgot to mention above DD still sucks her thumb. Duh. She says she's big and won't do it anymore (yeah right) but at night she takes it in her sleep. (She won't let me put the polish "because she really won't take it anyway" and when I did she still sucked in her sleep. I put bandages yesterday and she totally didn't seem to mind it. Found it in her mouth anyway...)

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 6:43 pm
Change linen the day after each dose. Take off the linen carefully. You must use hot water and high heat in dryer to kill the eggs. Vacuum well.
Best to treat everyone. It’s good to bathe them in the morning to get rid of as many eggs as possible.
Vermox is nothing to fear more than Reese’s. They do their job and that’s it.
Hand washing and hygiene is the biggest preventative thing you can do. Not gonna sugar coat it, the thumb sucking is a real problem in this case.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Change linen the day after each dose. Take off the linen carefully. You must use hot water and high heat in dryer to kill the eggs. Vacuum well.
Best to treat everyone. It’s good to bathe them in the morning to get rid of as many eggs as possible.
Hand washing and hygiene is the biggest preventative thing you can do. Not gonna sugar coat it, the thumb sucking is a real problem in this case.

You mean bathe the morning after or generally mornings?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 8:36 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:

Do you know if vermox is safe in pregnancy? (Will obviously ask my ob just wondering)

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 9:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
You mean bathe the morning after or generally mornings?

Generally.
I remember the Reese’s was ok for pregnancy, don’t remember about the vermox.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 3:39 am
A friend gave me some solutions to pinworms.
1) sugar bath. Fill the bath enough to cover the genitals, add a cup or two of sugar (I just dump from the bag). Have them sit in it for 20 minutes. Obviously wash well after.
Repeat this once a week for three weeks. The worms like sugar, so they come out.
2) garlic. Cut a piece of garlic lengthwise and insert it like a suppository. I the juice kills the worms it touches. DD sleeps better after we do this.
3) minimize sugar. Worms love sugar. Try to starve them.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:13 am
Cina homeopathic
Zahlers Paraguard for 30 days
Pumpkin seeds

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:01 am
amother Purple wrote:
You need to treat it for the first time. Again 2 weeks later. Then a 3rd time 2 weeks later. Is

Pediatrician recommends 10 day intervals. Which is better 10 or 14 days?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:06 am
So I spoke to pediatrician and she recommended doing Reese’s again, and doing a test after to see if was cleared. Was OK with doing 3 times when I asked her (she said 2). Medicaid stopped covering it...

For me and DH how many treatments should I do?

Now what can I do for maintenance? In addition to enforcing hand washing and being on top of their nails.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Pediatrician recommends 10 day intervals. Which is better 10 or 14 days?
14 days. Parasites reproduce along with the moon cycles. New moon and full moon.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
So I spoke to pediatrician and she recommended doing Reese’s again, and doing a test after to see if was cleared. Was OK with doing 3 times when I asked her (she said 2). Medicaid stopped covering it...

For me and DH how many treatments should I do?

Now what can I do for maintenance? In addition to enforcing hand washing and being on top of their nails.

As far as maintenance, use disposable towels or paper towels for hand drying. Wash bath towels often. Change underwear in morning (preferably after bathing) and evening.
If you can, make their teachers aware that they have caught this in school and maybe they will try to enforce better hygiene in school although sadly, in my experience, the teachers could not care less.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training