Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Extra set of oven grates for Pesach

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 4:42 am
Why do some purchase an extra set for pesach? I put my grates in the oven when I self clean. So easily kashered!

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 4:45 am
ttbtbm wrote:
Why do some purchase an extra set for pesach? I put my grates in the oven when I self clean. So easily kashered!

They get discolored in the self clean cycle and the coating that allows pots to glide easily from one burner to the next without lifting the pot becomes matte and the finish doesn't allow for gliding anymore.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:02 am
Some people don't hold in Kashering grates. My in laws don't and they were aghast that we kasher them.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:04 am
My parents grates has small rubber pads that hold them up so you can't put them in the oven.
It also ends up saving a huge amount of time, and they last longer this way.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:07 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:
My parents grates has small rubber pads that hold them up so you can't put them in the oven.
It also ends up saving a huge amount of time, and they last longer this way.

Mine had the rubber too. It came off in kashering. But I didn’t care. I think most people that do have a second set are those that don’t want the original finish to come off.

ttbtbm

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:00 pm
Thanks for explaining 😊

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:12 pm
We were told not to kasher our cast iron grates. Years ago when we had regular metal grates we did kasher them. We only bought pesach grates for 2 burners because they are so expensive.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:46 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Some people don't hold in Kashering grates. My in laws don't and they were aghast that we kasher them.

I didn't realize there was any opinion that held you couldn't kasher metal.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:51 pm
besides for the finish coming off/chipping/discoloring and the rubber feet melting, I know a few ppl who's grates cracked in the self clean. they are not meant for self cleaning - if you do it's at your own risk, and its not cheap to replace. also the companies usually go out of stock before pesach - so don't wait till right before to self clean them if you don't have a backup option

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 6:44 pm
We got an extra set so we can kasher the sinks and counters while the oven is self cleaning. Saves us time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics