Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Any good way to close keyhole openings?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:46 am
I've noticed a lot of nice dresses (for me and girls) that are nice and tznius except for a keyhole opening in the back. What's a good way to close this up other than sewing it closed and not being able to get your head in! Wink

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:03 am
Find a piece of knit fabric in a coordinating color and create a flap that is sewn in the left side of the opening inside the dress and snaps on the right side covering the key hole while you are wearing it. You would have to put on the dress and then snap it in place. If this is too much engineering, see if you can describe the problem to a seamstress and if she can create a flap.The other solution might be buying a camisole with a high back, but you'd need to try it to see if it covered properly. Finally, keep in mind that a sheitl or hair might cover the spot.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:21 am
I wouldn't rely on hair. Most people I know wear a shell, either sleeveless or the sleeeveless half ones. The hair covers enough that it's not always on display (though girls often wear theirs up), but it's still fully covered.

syrima

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:31 am
Some keyholes you can add a snap in the middle to keep it closed. But only if it's a small one

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:34 am
For a larger keyhole I've had a zipper put in. Depends on the shape of the keyhole but works nicely for most

hodeez

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:36 am
amother Cherry wrote:
Find a piece of knit fabric in a coordinating color and create a flap that is sewn in the left side of the opening inside the dress and snaps on the right side covering the key hole while you are wearing it. You would have to put on the dress and then snap it in place. If this is too much engineering, see if you can describe the problem to a seamstress and if she can create a flap.The other solution might be buying a camisole with a high back, but you'd need to try it to see if it covered properly. Finally, keep in mind that a sheitl or hair might cover the spot.

I did this myself with fabric from an old shell, didn't think to add a snap though. That is sound advice Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:35 am
amother Daylily wrote:
For a larger keyhole I've had a zipper put in. Depends on the shape of the keyhole but works nicely for most

curious, was this expensive to do?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 11:37 am
You can wear a cropped shell

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:01 pm
I usually only buy clothing with some stretch. I sew up the keyhole, almost to the button, so there's still some room. I find that with the button closed and the stitching, the slight section that isn't sewn is staying closed, and I can still get my head in and out.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:08 pm
I just wear a sleeveless cropped shell, I do that anyways to make sure I don't have any bra lines showing in the back with thinner or more fitted tops....

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:49 pm
I had something sewed in- I forget what it's called. it was a circle on one side and a hook on the other.

mommy12

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:58 pm
I just used safety pins. The neck was stretchy enough that I didn't need to undo them to get the dress on and off.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
curious, was this expensive to do?

The zipper is a. Couple of dollars or so. It's not an expensive job if you have a decently priced seamstress

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:20 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I had something sewed in- I forget what it's called. it was a circle on one side and a hook on the other.

"Hook and eye"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics