Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
How much per hour for a babysitter?

dillie

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:42 am
I need a sitter to watch my 18 month old this summer- 4 hours every afternoon.
It's in a bungalow colony, and the girl will probably be around 13.
How much should I offer to pay?? I am totally clueless.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:43 am
Twenty dollars a day?

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 12:45 pm
Ask her or her mother what she charges.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:13 pm
I'd be nervous hiring a 13 year old to be alone with an 18 month old! Do you know her well?

I pay between $8.50 and $10.50 per hour... but all my babysitters have been 16 and older. And the 16 year old I only used once just for 2 hours. I'm a nervous nelly and tend to stick with the 18+ crowd.

batya_d

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:45 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
I'd be nervous hiring a 13 year old to be alone with an 18 month old! Do you know her well?

Ditto! I wouldn't hire a sitter that young for a baby, but I started sitting at that age for older children, say, 3-8. At that age I was making maybe $10?

I'm an adult, and I sit occasionally for friends, and make about $14 an hour.

Sara Y

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 5:26 pm
Id say you should pay her around 6 dollars an hour because she is very young and will be doing it steady. So it will add up to a lot for her and for you too! If you pay her more you may as well take someone older who can perhaps bathe him or fold your laundry for you as wel. I would ask the mother what se feels her daughter should get.

Lovemylife

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:18 pm
I usually get older babysitters but we use a 13 year old who we love and is great with the kids and she takes 8-9 an hour (which is a bargain in my neighborhood, where older teenagers take between 10 -12 an hour)

I'm not sure what your financial situation is like but my theory with babysitters (or any caregivers) is I always err on the side of generosity. Although I'm sure my friends pay their babysitters less the last thing I need is for the girl to feel gypped or cheated and be resentful towards my children. I want the girls to love my children and love coming to my house.

And for 2 bucks an hour more than anyone else is paying I have a babysitter pretty much whenever I need and I'm sure that they don't feel even slightly resentful if my daughter is jumping in her bed late at night, or if she made in her pants, or if my son's diaper leaks, or both my children are screaming simultaneously.
When someone doing a service feels shortchanged they will not be giving you the best service (not that love is buyable, but in stressful situations service is at a premium)

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 2:29 pm
I agree w/ the above poster about not making a babysitter feel shortchanged, but I remember from when I was a kid that making any money for me was like striking it rich! I dont think she expects as much as $10/hr - that's what I pay an adult 2 babysit for me. Probly more like $7-8/hr.

Also, have u thought about agreeing on a flat rate cuz she'll b doing it at a steady pace?
and definitely talk it over w/ her mom so there are no miscommunications or resentments.

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 4:22 pm
im so surprised if I would know that you people give 6+$ per hr even for a thirteen year old I think I would have babysat for your kids when I was thats age sorry now its too late im 20 and married but not so long ago I used to babisit ALOT all I got was 4-5$ or a fixed price depends how and what like I did an overnight as a 14 yr old I got 60 or 70 wtvr but 8.50, 10$ WOW!!!! I dont think 13 year olds or any age until 18 needs to ask for more than 5$ /hr "What hassoges!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries