Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o anyone else still wear shells?
1  2  Next

Anyone else here still wear ahells?
I do  
 81%  [ 195 ]
No. I decided to stop on my own  
 16%  [ 39 ]
I stopped for peer pressure  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 240

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:06 pm
I do Hi

ectomorph

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:07 pm
Yes, and I'm even brave enough to post it under my user name. Do I get a prize?

ap

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:10 pm
Not sure of the question, did ppl stop buying sweaters or any dress that needs a layer under?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:11 pm
I do. I'm MO and I also live in a smaller community, so I have no idea what's in style in Lakewood or Teaneck. I see quite a few shells around where I live.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:13 pm
In some cases where the neck is too low, yes. To complete an outfit without sleeves, no.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:14 pm
I don't think it'll go out of style. Some tops need a shell...

pause

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:15 pm
I wear shells under tops/dresses that are see-through or have holes (keyhole, large knit fabric, etc.). I also wear shells under vests which were pretty "in" the last few years.
I don't wear jumpers, sleeveless or short sleeve tops/dresses (remember cap sleeves) with shells under them.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:15 pm
I wear the black modal ones like a t-shirt under a cardigan. Not under dresses or tops.

cookier

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:17 pm
I abhor shells. I largely stopped wearing them 3/4 years ago. I didn’t like the way they looked, they were too constricting, and I got so hot in the summer.

I think in my community they’re still relatively common though. I’ll have to look out for them as it starts to warm up.

amother
Obsidian

I wear sleeveless shells all the time because I feel more comfortable with the neckline and not seeing things through my shirt. I don’t really wear long sleeve ones much anymore.

hodeez

My husband prefers the look of one piece shirts and dresses so I dont really wear shells as much, but I'm not opposed to the look.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:18 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I do. I'm MO and I also live in a smaller community, so I have no idea what's in style in Lakewood or Teaneck. I see quite a few shells around where I live.

In my neck of Teaneck, shells were never in or popular, but they serve a purpose, and are worn. The purpose still exists. I only see them less now because there are so many midi floral dresses with long sleeves at Nordstrom/Bloomingdale’s/Saks (and I am referring to their outlets stores-yay online shopping and the Bergen Town Center) that they are less necessary.
When these dresses are less available, more shells will be back.
I do not get ride of my clothes every 2 years. I wear them as long as they look nice and fit (fit is the hard part). If I have an older dress with a shell, I still wear it.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:23 pm
I wear one almost every day , but usually for neckline purposes.
Though in the summer I do have some maxi jumpers that I wear with shells as Shabbos robes .
I only heard about this fashion faux pas on imamother. And frankly I’m not into trendy looks. I have my own personal style and that sometimes involves a shell.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:43 pm
There's no option for "never wore them in the first place." If a shirt or dress needs another layer, I might wear a cardigan with it. Most likely, though, I'll just pass. I've
always managed to find clothing that is tzanua to begin with, and I prefer it. To me, shells are tight and uncomfortable, not to mention that I don't like everything to be layered.

But if you like shells, and they are comfortable and enable you to wear the clothes you like, then go for it. No one gets to be the fashion police.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:49 pm
My clothing is a mix some things need a shell some don't. I do a lot of cropped shells in the summer and when I am wearing something open like a cardigan I wear sleeveless. The few long sleeved shells I have are for really cold days.

At my age I can wear a certain top for years even if I get a few new things too I am not up and replacing everything I own. I don't just up and change my wardrobe because shells went out. Most of my friends dont either.

married1234

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:19 pm
The only reason I don’t anymore, is because of sensory issues. I feel like I’m being choked. All my other clothes are out of style so it wouldn’t matter anyway

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:26 pm
Yep. Nearly every day. This is my uniform: Slinky black skirt, black shell, zip up hoodie

Sometimes a sleeveless shell to cover a keyhole back or to give a little more coverage on a crew neckline dress for shabbos.

Everytime I go into the Shell Station I'm never the only one. So...

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:32 pm
amother Purple wrote:

Everytime I go into the Shell Station I'm never the only one. So...

Haha good point 😂

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:41 pm
What is this a spin off of?

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 1:42 pm
I wear shells for tznius purposes mostly. Either neckline, for see through things, or if my bra line is showing.
For fashion purposes- not really. I haven’t bought anything cap sleeves/sleeveless in a long time simply because stores stopped selling those. Except for maternity, I can’t be too picky;)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics