Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Turning over my kitchen for one day-possible?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:09 am
I’m thinking of turning over my kitchen for just one day next week, cooking for several hours and then turning it back.
My thoughts are that I can cover one counter, self clean my oven, clean and put an insert in the sink, and carefully cook in that limited area while my kids are not home (and turn it back once they’re home from school). Am I missing anything, are there any reasons (halachically/kashrus wise) this won’t work?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m thinking of turning over my kitchen for just one day next week, cooking for several hours and then turning it back.
My thoughts are that I can cover one counter, self clean my oven, clean and put an insert in the sink, and carefully cook in that limited area while my kids are not home (and turn it back once they’re home from school). Am I missing anything, are there any reasons (halachically/kashrus wise) this won’t work?

You can totally do that. My MIL does that sometimes.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:29 am
Kasher sink and counter? or don't use heat?

Do you have clean fridge/freezer space?

You have to think it thru well. You don't want any whoops, who touched that?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:46 am
yes - think through all the details before well but its totally doable. I work in high school and am off a few days before my little ones get off. I did this last year and totally plan on doing again IYH

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:53 am
Also remember everything has to be Ben Yomo before kashering, and you’ll have to kasher or change your sink spout.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:56 am
amother Papaya wrote:
Kasher sink and counter? or don't use heat?

Do you have clean fridge/freezer space?

You have to think it thru well. You don't want any whoops, who touched that?

Wait, why would I have to kasher the sink and counter if I’m covering them/using an insert?

I have clean fridge, freezer, and cabinet space in the basement.

I DONT want any “whoops who touched that” which is why I want to turn it all back over to chametz when the kids are home (I trust myself around a half chametz/half Pesach kitchen but definitely not my kids!)

Thanks for helping me work out the kinks!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:59 am
cookier wrote:
Also remember everything has to be Ben Yomo before kashering, and you’ll have to kasher or change your sink spout.

I don’t kasher for Pesach! My sinks are porcelain and counters are also non kasherable material. Why wouldn’t I just cover (as I do for Pesach) and then uncover.

Am I the only person here who doesn’t (can’t) kasher anything before Pesach and covers countertops and uses a sink insert?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t kasher for Pesach! My sinks are porcelain and counters are also non kasherable material. Why wouldn’t I just cover (as I do for Pesach) and then uncover.

Am I the only person here who doesn’t (can’t) kasher anything before Pesach and covers countertops and uses a sink insert?

I do the same. My counters and sink are actually kasherable, but I dont because its soooo much easier to just tape down my counter covers and plop in the sink insert. Done.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:13 am
amother OP wrote:

We have porcelain sinks and use inserts but we kasher the faucet/knobs.

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:15 am
amother OP wrote:

Well I was wrong anyway - I just checked CRC and a self cleaning oven can be kashered within 24 hours after last use.

Your stove will still need to be left to sit for 24 hrs after cleaning, if you plan to kasher it.

What do you do about your faucet? They need to be cleaned and kashered for pesach even if your sink can’t be.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:22 am
cookier wrote:
Well I was wrong anyway - I just checked CRC and a self cleaning oven can be kashered within 24 hours after last use.

Your stove will still need to be left to sit for 24 hrs after cleaning, if you plan to kasher it.

What do you do about your faucet? They need to be cleaned and kashered for pesach even if your sink can’t be.

We don’t kasher our faucet either. We clean it and put this like sock kind of thing over all of it and I would do this for the day I turn over as well

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:28 am
My sister has been doing this for over 50 years.

cookier

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:
We don’t kasher our faucet either. We clean it and put this like sock kind of thing over all of it and I would do this for the day I turn over as well

Interesting.
This king of thing? https://www.eichlers.com/fauce.....D_BwE

If that’s what you do, then it seems like your bases are covered. I might still check with a rav if he can think of any risky things, but it sounds like you’d be ok.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
Wait, why would I have to kasher the sink and counter if I’m covering them/using an insert?

I have clean fridge, freezer, and cabinet space in the basement.

I DONT want any “whoops who touched that” which is why I want to turn it all back over to chametz when the kids are home (I trust myself around a half chametz/half Pesach kitchen but definitely not my kids!)

Thanks for helping me work out the kinks!

You should be fine. Different people have different ways of preparing. I know we cover counters and don't kasher.
But if you're using hot water/pour hot cooking liquid into the sink, faucet/spout should be kashered (possibly drain as well which can splash back hot water). Ask a Rav about your situation specifically.
If you'll just use cold water to wash, and won't spill in hot liquid from pots, you can just line the sink and that's enough for sure.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:31 am
I know someone that does it. It can work. Make sure you have all ingredients before so you don’t waste time running out to get some. Good luck!!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:32 am
You might want to take up cabinets and drawers. I once cooked for pesach before the cabinets were taped and out of habit reached for a chametz spoon to stir the pot...

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 11:57 am
In Europe, my grandmother used to kasher her oven on Channukah, roast a goose and collect the fat to render it into oil for Pesach. It can be done.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 1:01 pm
cookier wrote:
Interesting.
This king of thing? https://www.eichlers.com/fauce.....D_BwE

If that’s what you do, then it seems like your bases are covered. I might still check with a rav if he can think of any risky things, but it sounds like you’d be ok.

Yup that’s exactly what we use! I pick it up at my local kosher supermarket. We ALSO don’t use or pour boiling hot water/liquids in the sink over Pesach (something about “bliyos” I think?)

birdie1

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:07 pm
Does self clean automatically kasher the oven?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 3:35 pm
birdie1 wrote:
Does self clean automatically kasher the oven?

As far as I know
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics