Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Honesty Question About Maternity Leave?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 2:33 pm
We asked our Rav an honesty shayla, and he's going to check into it, but in the meantime he advised us to talk around to people in different types of jobs to see what is "normally done" or what normal policy is. So of course I'm turning to imamother...

Let's assume that you don't get benefits as a part-time employee, but you do get them as a full-time employee. If you were working full-time before maternity leave, and you decided to start working part-time after maternity leave, would your maternity leave be covered under your work's insurance? How about L&D itself? Or would nothing be covered because you're not coming back full-time after your leave?

Please only answer if you're in the US, so I know we're comparing apples to apples here.

TIA!

(Posting as amother because we've discussed this with people and I don't want to give away my identity.)

Rivky

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 2:35 pm
honesty dono, I'm also gona be on maternity leave shortly but diff situation so dono

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 2:43 pm
I think you are still entitled to maternity leave since you were working full time up to your maternity leave. whatever happens afterwrds, in my opinoin, is a separate thing.

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 2:55 pm
I believe you're entitled to your full paid leave. What happens afterwards happens.

(I'm not in the US, but I imagine the law is similar. I KNOW that here - Israel - your leave entitlement is calculated on the hours worked BEFORE your leave, and it's stated clearly in the legislation. It's true in Canada as well, and while I'm aware that the US is a bit backwards in terms of maternity policy, I can't imagine it would be any different.)

Perhaps it's a question for a labour lawyer, as well as your Rav?

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 2:57 pm
Do you even know that they will be willing to let you work part-time in the future?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:05 pm
Okay, let me clarify my question. Please tell me what YOUR company policy is, or tell me if you actually KNOW what the law says. I know that in theory it would make sense to calculate it based on the hours you've already worked, not on the hours afterwards. My question isn't what makes sense - it's what most companies' policies are.

Yes, I know they're going to let me work part-time; otherwise I wouldn't be asking this question. Yes, I'm asking a rav (as I said in my original post); he said he has to get back to me, but in the meantime I should figure out what common business practice is - that I should talk around to people and see the policies in most companies are.

I know I'm only telling you half the story, but I dont' have time to write it all out right now (nor do I want to rehash the craziness). All I want is some people who can tell me what the policy is in their companies so that I can bring the info back to our rav (I'm assuming he's trying to figure this out at the same time but...)

And please don't say "I think it should be..." or "I can't imagine..." I know what makes sense. My question is, what do company policies usually say? In my experience, company policies do not always follow common sense.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:16 pm
I filed for disability insurance when I was out on maternity leave, and they calculate how much you get by your previous weeks salary. the point is that when you leave, you are still a full time employee and deserve to be treated as such. whatever you do afterwards is a different story.

and yes, I did the same. was working full time till my baby was born and then came back as a part time employee.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:18 pm
You should get full time benefits since you worked full time until birth. That is what I did.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:21 pm
Twizzlers and flowerpower - thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Don't let that stop other posters from responding - the more people's experiences I have to give our rav, the better...(and it would also be good to know if some companies do NOT do this, for some reason...)

Oh, and Twizzlers, just making sure (couldn't tell from your response) - did that apply to health insurance, etc as well? Or only to disability insurance? The health insurance is what I'm really worried about.

Thanks Tongue Out

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:24 pm
The only benefits I got a maternity leave in the US was disability pay (basically nothing) and paid for their portion of the medical insurance. I was allowed to have 8 weeks off. When I came back I was semi part time meaning I worked 30 hours of billable time a week as suppose to the 45 billable hours they would have wanted me to work.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:25 pm
Does your company have a Manuel that you can check? They must have a policy when it comes to these things.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:

Oh, and Twizzlers, just making sure (couldn't tell from your response) - did that apply to health insurance, etc as well? Or only to disability insurance? The health insurance is what I'm really worried about.

Thanks Tongue Out

health insurance came out of my paycheck (boss didnt pay anything except for the 5 weeks I was out on leave as a baby present) so I dont think that would help u

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 3:40 pm
Picklelady - They don't. That's why it's such a shayla...they're kind of making it up as they go along, because they've gone from being a tiny little business to a huge company, and they haven't gotten around to updating the handbook. It's really horrible - they keep on making up policies that never existed, springing them on us last minute, etc. To the point where my supervisor told me to do something that I wouldn't normally think was honest - she said it's the only way to make sure they won't spring another "made up" policy on me. Which is why we asked a shayla about whether I should listen to my supervisor. Which is why I'm now asking you "what's normal" because he pretty much seemed to say it would depend on what's considered normal in the business world...

Twizzlers - do you mean you paid the full price of the health insurance? I don't mean after your maternity leave; I mean during it. During those 5 weeks (which I'm assuming excluded the first week of your six weeks of maternity leave). When you say your boss gave it to you as a "present," does that mean the company paid for it? Or was he personally paying for it?

anuta

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 4:05 pm
I had my maternity leave, I was working full-time before. A few months after I came back to work, I scaled back to 30 hours a week from 40. This is still considered full-time for purposes of getting health insurance and all the other benefits.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 4:05 pm
NJ disability and private disability insurance was based purely what I was paid before I returned to work. It did not matter what happened afterwords. First time I returned full time second time I returned part time. (I really had no intention returning either time)
I paid partial health insurance and my company paid the other half. I know if I had not returned then they would have been allowed to ask me for their part back.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:

Twizzlers - do you mean you paid the full price of the health insurance? I don't mean after your maternity leave; I mean during it. During those 5 weeks (which I'm assuming excluded the first week of your six weeks of maternity leave). When you say your boss gave it to you as a "present," does that mean the company paid for it? Or was he personally paying for it?

yes, I had been paying the full price of health insurance but as it came out of my paycheck, I didnt have to pay taxes on that amount. the 5 weeks were the first 5 weeks after birth, after which I came back to work. my boss is the owner of the company so although it was actually a company check that went out, essentially it all comes out of his own pocket.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 8:14 pm
Both times I've gone on maternity leave (one was in the US, the other in Australia), I was told I was entitled to my maternity leave pay whether I returned to work or not. I assume that would also apply in the case of going down to part-time. When I was in the US, I also kept my medical benefits until I left officially (I.e. after my FMLA leave was up, I didn't go back). So, my birth-related medical was covered, as well as my baby's medical until she was roughly 3 months old. I did have to pay a small amount of extra money each month to add my baby to my medical plan, but I still didn't pay anything for my own medical insurance. If you are only getting the 6 weeks of disability pay, I don't think your company is actually paying you anyway; it's the disability insurance that you've paid for (out of your checks) paying out for the disability (unable to work after childbirth).

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 11:00 am
Where I work it would depend when I go "on the books" as a PT employee. If I were to give birth on July 1st, on June 30th I was a FT employee. On July 1st I start taking leave. My leave is considered FT until I CHANGE IT to PT. I could change it to PT on July 1st or July 31st or 6-12 weeks later when I come back to work. Whenever I change to PT status, that's when my benefits change, but it's up to me when I want to change to PT status.
Personally, I always worked PT. During my past maternity leave we changed our benefits because my work health insurance was more expensive than getting it privately.
I work in the public sector where we have many rules, regulations, policies, and procedures for these things.

Good luck and b'shaah tovah!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:09 pm
Thanks! These posts are really helpful. Keep 'em coming Wink

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:13 pm
flowerpower wrote:
You should get full time benefits since you worked full time until birth. That is what I did.

Yup.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics