Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Where I went wrong last yr + Clueless + having Guests. Help!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:02 pm
Cooking is not my thing and I am having guests for Pesach, I am very overwhelmed and I have silly questions but I need step by step instructions and I remember where I "went wrong" last year but don't know how to fix it!

1. Anyone have a recipe for potato stick chicken that is baked? I put egg and then crushed potato sticks onto chicken cutlets and cover it and bake, but I never know how long or what temp and they end up somewhat well done (aka burntish) no matter what I do. So, What temp and for how long? (Edited to add that I use regular chicken cutlets (not thin)).

2. When I make potato kugel (in 2 5x7 pans) then the recipe says to bake for 2 hours on 400, but the top ends up burnt, so do I shorten the time? or lower the temperature? Help.

3. Any roasted vegt recipes to share? Can't use vegt that can't be peeled (for example, red pepper)

4. Any other really simple recipes for mains, I mean really really simple, just I need clear instructions and can't be gebrogst.

ynms

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:04 pm
2: bake the kugel on 475 for 45mins and lower it to 350 for about 1 and 1/2.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Cooking is not my thing and I am having guests for Pesach, I am very overwhelmed and I have silly questions but I need step by step instructions and I remember where I "went wrong" last year but don't know how to fix it!

1. Anyone have a recipe for potato stick chicken that is baked? I put egg and then crushed potato sticks onto chicken cutlets and cover it and bake, but I never know how long or what temp and they end up somewhat well done (aka burntish) no matter what I do. So, What temp and for how long?

2. When I make potato kugel then the recipe says to bake for 2 hours on 400, but the top ends up burnt, so do I shorten the time? or lower the temperature? Help.

3. Any roasted vegt recipes to share? Can't use vegt that can't be peeled (for example, red pepper)

4. Any other really simple recipes for mains, I mean really really simple, just I need clear instructions and can't be gebrogst.

1. If you are using thin cutlets, preheat the oven to 400. Spray coated chicken. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake uncovered 20 minutes.

2. For kugel, 350 for 2 hours for deep dark top and creamy inside.

3. Cube zucchini, butternut squash, beets, red onion, and slice carrots and parsnips. Toss with olive oil and salt on a cookie sheet (you can roast the beets on a separate sheet if you don't want the veggies getting pink). Spread out in one even layer. Roast at 400 for 40 minutes, mixing halfway through. Check if done, otherwise return to oven for another 8 minutes.

4. Tender flanken with homemade duck sauce.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....zines

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:11 pm
Breaded chicken cutlets should be baked uncovered.
Potato kugel I do 1 hour on 450, 1 hour on 350.
Roasted veggies: green squash, yellow squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots/colored mini carrots. Drizzle with oil & spices (salt, pepper, onion... whatever you use.)

bbhem5

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:13 pm
amother OP wrote:

1. Anyone have a recipe for potato stick chicken that is baked? I put egg and then crushed potato sticks onto chicken cutlets and cover it and bake, but I never know how long or what temp and they end up somewhat well done (aka burntish) no matter what I do. So, What temp and for how long?

2. When I make potato kugel then the recipe says to bake for 2 hours on 400, but the top ends up burnt, so do I shorten the time? or lower the temperature? Help.

We roast A LOT of sweet potatoes.
Also, squash (yellow and green - but they look the same peeled Wink ), carrots, onions (regular and purple), beets, butternut squash...
We peel and dice tomatoes (firm are easiest), mix with garlic and diced onions, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, and bake for a long time.

amf

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 10:19 pm
Roasted veggies- you can do onion slices, sweet potato cubes, carrot chunks, any other root veggies you like (parsley root, turnip, celery knob...just not horseradish;) )
Toss with oil and spices (onion powder garlic powder salt pepper paprika, or anything else you like.) Roast uncovered at 400 for 40 min or so. Timing will depend on the size of the veggie chunks. Try to keep them all around the same.

Alternatively, you can peel and slice a zucchini, toss with oil and spices, and roast on 400 for 15 min or so, checking often.

Mains:
Chicken and potatoes: in a heavy roasting pan lay onions and potato wedges on the bottom. Add a layer of chicken bottoms, try to fill up the pan. Mix oil and spices in a bowl and brush generously over the chicken. Bake on 375 for 1 to one and a quarter hr covered. (Time will depend on how crowded the pan is)

Carrot chicken: basically the same as above but use carrots and sweet potatoes, and add a little honey or white wine to the bowl before brushing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics