Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Serendipity reopened *update*
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
If serendipity could take just clothes not more than a year old it would eliminate some of the sorting. People could even match their kids this way by filling in missing sizes. The older clothes should be given to larger out of town communities at a cheeper price. Even the most yeshivish lakewood family has children who need up to date clothes to fit in with there peers. lakewood is not what it used to be. It probably takes them a long time to go through all the bags and by that time the clothes are dated. and that's why they are selling new clothes.

Many out of towners want to match their children currently too.
I'm out of that parasha, but just saying.
And meanwhile, there are many Lakewooders who want to match their kids but would be happy doing so in last year's styles.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Banana wrote:
She didn't say they don't deserve nice clothes. She is saying maybe an oot community which doesn't have such high standards (which is a positive thing imho) would benefit from it more and it could be sold to them even cheaper.

I wasn't offended when I read it but just wanted to say that it's not so simple anymore.

imasinger

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 9:44 pm
I hope this gets resolved soon. I'm wearing a sweater and skirt I got there last time I was in town, I love that store.

$4 for clothing is still dirt cheap.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 10:20 pm
I'm sorry that people took my comment the wrong way. Just because something is in style in Lakewood doesn't mean it's trendy everywhere.

Here is an example:
I remember one year headbands with ears being popular in Brooklyn. It never became popular in Lakewood. My sisters kids wore the style for 2 years and then it would look stupid and old fashion to wearit anymore so she sent it to me in Lakewood but it wasn't popular in Lakewood and my kids would look funny wearing it. A neighbors out of town relatives came and they got so excited to have such a cute headband. The style was actually still popular in the non Jewish world and they just saw a similar one in children's place.

Hope people understand this example and I'm not confusing anyone.

I'm sure the people operating serendipity work hard running the place and the profit is justified putting nice clothes to good use it should be balanced tashchis.

Please note that if you want to really help poor people out and you have extra time there are gemachs meant for poor people that give clothing for free without profiting. The Westgate Gamache listed above is one example.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 10:42 pm
Miriams wrote:
I donated a bunch of pretty girls shabbos dresses and boys suits and they were so so nice and thankful! I brought everything on hangers and just hung them right onto the racks so they wld get used right away. I’m so impressed by that store- don’t know why anyone wld say anything bad.

Wow that’s called going the extra mile when doing a mitzva. That’s beautiful! We should all learn from you!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 11:11 pm
This is sad. I have been shopping there for many years.

The women who runs this store is a selfless Tzadekes, put her kishkes into that store, often using her own money to keep it running.

It just got too big to run.

I wish they had put up a notice years ago, that if you have really nice items in good condition, to bring it into the store, instead of putting it in to those bins. Just costs too much to sort through, and many times just held garbage.

Was planning on making a special trip to Lakewood just for Serendipity.

Huge Yasher Koach to the owner.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 11:12 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
When they were on Birch street many years ago, they donated the profits to local tzeddakah organizations! There was a sign on the back of the door with huge donation amounts saying "thanks for continuing shopping and dropping!"
It has steadily gone downhill slowly and gradually since then. It's almost comical to me that they have "today's return policy". That policy changes based on someone's menstrual cycles 🤣

They stopped giving to other organizations so they can fund themselves.
Their return policies are based on the abuse they get from costumers who ruin it for everyone else.

The woman who started and runs serendipity is a huge tzadeikes who does so much Chessed besides the store.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:33 am
any updates?

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:16 pm
I have a friend starting something similar after pesach. Starting only with kids clothing and toys but eventually maybe also women’s. She will be doing it out of her basement. She will take donations and organize everything to make shopping easy. And sell for very cheap. I can send address to drop things off if people need a place. Will open sometime after pesach.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:44 pm
I got this text:

Serendipity store and Deja New collections are temporarily closed. We hope to resume shortly and will keep you informed.
Reply stop to stop

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:45 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
I got this text:

Serendipity store and Deja New collections are temporarily closed. We hope to resume shortly and will keep you informed.
Reply stop to stop

Thank you. Plz post any updates you get… would love to know when they reopen.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:55 pm

mrsnistar

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 1:55 pm
amother Amber wrote:
10 kletsk hill rd. Basement. Enter from parking lot in back
Phone: 732 328 8180

Thank you! can you share any info on how it works, hours, etc.? Does it have baby stuff?

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 11:32 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
So I guess if you live OOT you don't deserve nice clothing. Only old stuff. Got it. My kids don't deserve nice in style clothing just because we live out of New Jersey.

Dont shoot the messenger

She is just saying what the metzius is

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:41 pm
amother Amber wrote:
10 kletsk hill rd. Basement. Enter from parking lot in back
Phone: 732 328 8180

Does pinwheel have women's clothing as well? And anyone know of any other recommended gemachs in Lakewood that have women's and baby clothing?

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Does pinwheel have women's clothing as well? And anyone know of any other recommended gemachs in Lakewood that have women's and baby clothing?
yes they have womens too. I think erev yom tov hours are 10-6 and 8-10 at night.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I have a friend starting something similar after pesach. Starting only with kids clothing and toys but eventually maybe also women’s. She will be doing it out of her basement. She will take donations and organize everything to make shopping easy. And sell for very cheap. I can send address to drop things off if people need a place. Will open sometime after pesach.

Can we drop off donations now? If so, what is the address, please.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 2:04 pm
I believe that Mrs. Finkel at 1212 Chalet Terrace, Lakewood allows for donations of clothing and house hold items in excellent condition to be left on her front porch.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:29 am
Tls posted that serendipity has reopened and deja new is still closed. Not sure what the difference is.

easyshare

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:01 pm
EZSHARE was created as an alternative to deja new. When people don’t want to just dump their clothing in a bin. They worked hard shopping and coordinating and their stuff is still in good condition after just one season….on the other side it’s much easier to get a box of clothes from someone then having to look for piece by piece.

You can reach EZSHARE
easysharenj@gmail.com
Call/Txt 732-730-7769
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries