Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ice cream

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:15 pm
Would you let your teen go out more than once a week during the week school night for ice cream? I'm not talking Abt unhealthy. More about spending her money doing her school work helping out at home. Gets the largest size possible every time and gets upset when I brought up the subject and she couldn't go when I said once a week is enough.
I know maybe I sound crazy but isn't it excessive?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:18 pm
Even once a week is excessive to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:19 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Even once a week is excessive to me.

Thank you for validating me and making me feel like I'm not depriving her even though it's a harmless outing

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:23 pm
I agree. Once a week is far from excessive. Even that is a lot I think.

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:24 pm
Your title is about the ice cream, but your post indicates more than that...the excessive spending and not helping out at home.

I would not make an issue out of the actual going out for ice cream so often, but rather work on finding ways to have her help more at home. You can set a good example and role model healthy spending habits without mentioning the ice cream specifically.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would you let your teen go out more than once a week during the week school night for ice cream? I'm not talking Abt unhealthy. More about spending her money doing her school work helping out at home. Gets the largest size possible every time and gets upset when I brought up the subject and she couldn't go when I said once a week is enough.

Like everything in parenting, it depends. What is the norm among her friends? Is she going with them?

Who pays for the ice cream? What is your position on kids spending their own money?

How does she get there? Friends? By herself? Does she expect you to drive her?

What other outlets and activities does she have that she enjoys? Doing school work and helping out is important, but not necessarily enjoyable.

Also, seems like there is a food issue here. Can she benefit from some nutrition education? Eating large amounts of high sugar, high fat ice cream isn't so healthy.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

Why not? I would personally let. The novelty would likely wear off if she is permitted to go all the time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:36 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Why not? I would personally let. The novelty would likely wear off if she is permitted to go all the time. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I agree. Also it sounds like this is theoretically the teen's money? Why would mom control how a teen spends her money?

If she is spending too much time away from the house, that can be a conversation.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Wed, Mar 22 2023, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 22 2023, 5:37 pm
If it's a thing for the girls to get together and pop over to get ice cream for half an hour to an hour, a couple times a week, I think that's fine, as long as she doesn't insist you pay. This is teenage girls- it's mistly to hang, likely. There will be one who only gets fro yo,another who insists that doesn't gelp and gets nothing except for when she does, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics