Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Monsey- looking for pesach food



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:11 pm
Not eligible for tomchei shabbos (very "rich" because I have a house and my utilities and tuition are paid).
Anywhere I could get some things?
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:20 pm
Same here but we don't even own a house.....
I get very frustrated this time of the year, because all help goes to the same people. People get from many different organizations while there are so many middle class families that can use the help but there's none available.
Back to top

CPenzias




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:00 pm
What? Tomchei doesn't ask about your finances. Have you actually contacted them?
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:37 pm
CPenzias wrote:
What? Tomchei doesn't ask about your finances. Have you actually contacted them?


Tomchei shabbos does ask for income/financial information. They don't give blindly.
Back to top

CPenzias




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:06 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Tomchei shabbos does ask for income/financial information. They don't give blindly.

I'm not saying they give blindly but I got a long time ago and they didn't ask for anything from me. I think the Rabbi knew our situation 🤔. I really thought they give it you ask.
I was in school for my masters and we had moved in with my mom. Bh now I can give. Not a ton but every bit helps.
Back to top

amother
Ivory


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
Tomchei shabbos does ask for income/financial information. They don't give blindly.


We're poor middle class and don't qualify for any programs or insurance. Nothing from the government or any chinuch distributions. Nada.
The one thing we get is Tomchei Shabbos and we are so, so grateful. Maybe they're reserving it for people that don't own a house?
Back to top

CPenzias




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:14 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
We're poor middle class and don't qualify for any programs or insurance. Nothing from the government or any chinuch distributions. Nada.
The one thing we get is Tomchei Shabbos and we are so, so grateful. Maybe they're reserving it for people that don't own a house?

Could be. I just want to tell you that I feel you 100%. My husband and I are both professionals and still middle class. I would have had more kids but it's extremely hard. We both grew up without extra and it scared him. Bh we have 2 kids but most money goes to expenses. Middle class gets screwed. And now pesach
Back to top

amother
Trillium


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:17 pm
Can you call your Rav? Does he have a discretionary fund? We give to ours to help in situations like this.
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 7:39 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
We're poor middle class and don't qualify for any programs or insurance. Nothing from the government or any chinuch distributions. Nada.
The one thing we get is Tomchei Shabbos and we are so, so grateful. Maybe they're reserving it for people that don't own a house?


We don't own a house. We're classic poor middle class. We basically live paycheck to paycheck. Bh bh a million times, we have no debt.
Back to top

amother
Catmint


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:28 pm
Contact RSK - they will help !!

https://rsk.org/
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 8:30 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Contact RSK - they will help !!

https://rsk.org/

RSK is a financial management program under tomchei shabbos. (Afaik)
Back to top

amother
Begonia


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:16 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
RSK is a financial management program under tomchei shabbos. (Afaik)


Not at all!

They're actually very different from tomche shabbos. They are specifically geared towards helping the middle class undergoing temporary financial hardships. By the way they do it in such a beautiful and respectful way. I think this is exactly what the op is looking for.
Back to top

amother
Tanzanite


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:18 pm
I believe RSK offers financial coaching at a reduced rate. I don’t think they can actually help OP unless she’s making irresponsible financial choices and needs guidance, plus has a few hundred to spend on getting advice.
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:20 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Not at all!

They're actually very different from tomche shabbos. They are specifically geared towards helping the middle class undergoing temporary financial hardships. By the way they do it in such a beautiful and respectful way. I think this is exactly what the op is looking for.


Right, but it's a project of Tomchei shabbos. They help with temporary financial hardships only if you do their financial coaching program. They help temporarily while you're doing the program.
Back to top

Ruchy




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:30 pm
It's 2 separate programs. RSK has nothing at all to do with tomchai shabbos.
A) They offer scholarships for the coaching
b) they offer financial coaching at a reduced price, and
C) you don't need to be in the financial coaching program to get assistance.

If you need food, pm me for the number of someone who can arrange it.
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:31 pm
Ruchy wrote:
It's 2 separate programs. RSK has nothing at all to do with tomchai shabbos.
A) They offer scholarships for the coaching
b) they offer financial coaching at a reduced price, and
C) you don't need to be in the financial coaching program to get assistance.

If you need food, pm me for the number of someone who can arrange it.


I understood from them that it's a project from tomchei shabbos.
Back to top

Ruchy




 
 
    
 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
I understood from them that it's a project from tomchei shabbos.



Whoever told you that has wrong information.
Back to top

amother
White


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:34 pm
I'm in the same boat but in Brooklyn. Actually a little diff than op cuz we don't own a home.
It's so hard not to be in chinuch or kollel and have zero access to any resources for pesach. and my sisters in law in kollel/chinuch are shocked when I tell them that I don't buy new clothing for myself or my kids for YT...they get food boxes and gift card and envelopes with cash and I don't even get paid time off for pesach so I lose 2 weeks of income during the most expensive month
Back to top

amother
Cognac


 

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:36 pm
Ruchy wrote:
Whoever told you that has wrong information.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Erev pesach check list
by amother
2 Yesterday at 7:12 pm View last post
Pesach 1,2,3 cookies - no oil?
by amother
20 Yesterday at 5:24 pm View last post
If you bulk fry onions for pesach... 9 Yesterday at 5:18 pm View last post
Pesach - Sugar Free Dessert
by MummyT
4 Yesterday at 4:45 pm View last post
Sick of my food
by amother
10 Yesterday at 4:05 pm View last post