Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler burned hand on iron!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:27 pm
what do I do? I put on vaseline, is that good? It looks very bad and developed a scab Sad my poor baby

can anyone recommend something to clear the burn and/or prevent scar??

please no judgement, im already judging myself really hard Sad Banging head

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:30 pm
Vaseline is the worst thing you can put on a burn

Wrap the hand in grated potatoes with Saran Wrap on top

Get MR cream asap if available in a health food store near you

Edit : I’m so sorry I promise I’m not judging you

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:31 pm
The burn lady in Israel has recommended in the past to put freshly shredded potatoes over the burn and wrap it in saran wrap. change every few hours

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:33 pm
I’m not an expert and I don’t have much experience with burns (other than a second degree sunburn) but I don’t think Vaseline is a good idea. I believe it traps the heat.

mikayla18

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:34 pm
We would put silvadene if you have or vitamin e pills (pop with a pin and put the salve on the burn)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:40 pm
I should have mentioned... its been two days... I didn't even think to post on here, im so embrrased and ashamed

where can I get mr cream? is that still good if its been a couple days?

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I should have mentioned... its been two days... I didn't even think to post on here, im so embrrased and ashamed

Yes mr cream is magical and works even days later
Supreme health food store Carries it

Highstrung

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:43 pm
If my toddler burnt themselves I’d call the pediatrician . Often they want to see the child and treat it .

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

Get it checked out at the pediatrician.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:53 pm
Raw potato

Motrin will also take away the sting since it lowers fever and helps

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:55 pm
I did this when I was a kid. Don’t be ashamed. Accidents are accidents and not planned.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:55 pm
Poor baby, poor mama.

Have you seen the doctor yet? A big broad burn that's been there two days already may need antibiotics.

As for scarring - there are gemachs for burn care. Ask your doctor about the nearest one to you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:57 pm
Aloe from the plant at this point can be soothing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 4:57 pm
my pediatrician is not very approachable... in the process of finding a new one. I sent a photo to my nurse friend and she said not necessary to go to the doctor... reading these comments makes me rethink that... Banging head

Highstrung

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
my pediatrician is not very approachable... in the process of finding a new one. I sent a photo to my nurse friend and she said not necessary to go to the doctor... reading these comments makes me rethink that... Banging head

The reason for having a doctor check it out is so that they could monitor it to make sure it doesnt get infected, as burns are prone to infection.
When my toddler got burnt we first called Hatzolah, who bandaged him and then they told us to go see the pediatrician. We did that day. The doctor checked out the burn, determined it was a second and partially 3rd degree burn , rebandaged my toddler and had us do follow ups every other day for about a week until it started to heal and made sure there was no infection .

I did hear that MR cream works miracles. So maybe try that.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:14 pm
After two days this is less applicable, but this is a summary of first aid for burns should anyone need it in the future.

In addition to what us recommended here applying raw grated potatoes, as mentioned above, will help to rapidly draw the heat from a burn and facility healing. Honey is also valuable as first aid, in that it help cool the burn, and covers it with an antibacterial layer, while also providing enzymes which facilitate healing.

https://www.webmd.com/first-ai.....tment

For First-Degree Burns (Affecting Top Layer of Skin)

1. Cool Burn
Hold burned skin under cool (not cold) running water or immerse in cool water until the pain subsides.
Use compresses if running water isn't available.
2. Protect Burn
Cover with sterile, non-adhesive bandage or clean cloth.
Do not apply butter, oil, lotions, or creams (especially if they contain fragrance). Apply a petroleum-based ointment two to three times per day.
3. Treat Pain
Give over-the-counter pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Panadol, Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin), or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn).
4. When to See a Doctor
Seek medical help if:
You see signs of infection, like increased pain, redness, swelling, fever, or oozing.
The person needs tetanus or booster shot, depending on date of last injection. Tetanus booster should be given every 10 years.
The burn blister is larger than two inches or oozes.
Redness and pain last more than a few hours.
Follow Up
The doctor will examine the burn and may prescribe antibiotics and pain medication.

For Second-Degree Burns (Affecting Top 2 Layers of Skin)
1. Cool Burn
Immerse in cool water for 10 or 15 minutes.
Don't apply ice. It can lower body temperature and cause further pain and damage.
Don't break blisters or apply butter or ointments, which can cause infection.
2. Protect Burn
Cover loosely with sterile, nonstick bandage and secure in place with gauze or tape.
3. Prevent Shock
Unless the person has a head, neck, or leg injury, or it would cause discomfort:
Lay the person flat.
Elevate feet about 12 inches.
Elevate burn area above heart level, if possible.
Cover the person with a coat or blanket.
4. See a Doctor
The doctor can
test burn severity, prescribe antibiotics and pain medications, and administer a tetanus shot, if needed.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

A burn can be serious even if it doesn't look serious. There can be permanent nerve and tissue damage if it's not treated properly.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 5:32 pm
The herbal power 3 step with oil cream and powder. That helps magic. Don’t know where u live but they have a few people in different locations that are trained To apply it and wrap it well professional.

Rappel

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:35 pm
Elfrida wrote:
After two days this is less applicable, but this is a summary of first aid for burns should anyone need it in the future.

In addition to what us recommended here applying raw grated potatoes, as mentioned above, will help to rapidly draw the heat from a burn and facility healing. Honey is also valuable as first aid, in that it help cool the burn, and covers it with an antibacterial layer, while also providing enzymes which facilitate healing.

https://www.webmd.com/first-ai.....tment

For First-Degree Burns (Affecting Top Layer of Skin)

1. Cool Burn
Hold burned skin under cool (not cold) running water or immerse in cool water until the pain subsides.
2. Protect Burn
Cover with sterile, non-adhesive bandage or clean cloth.
Do not apply butter, oil, lotions, or creams (especially if they contain fragrance). Apply a petroleum-based ointment two to three times per day.
3. Treat Pain
Give over-the-counter pain reliever such as acetaminophen (Panadol, Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin), or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn).
4. When to See a Doctor
Seek medical help if:
You see signs of infection, like increased pain, redness, swelling, fever, or oozing.
The person needs tetanus or booster shot, depending on date of last injection. Tetanus booster should be given every 10 years.
The burn blister is larger than two inches or oozes.
Redness and pain last more than a few hours.
Follow Up
The doctor will examine the burn and may prescribe antibiotics and pain medication.

For Second-Degree Burns (Affecting Top 2 Layers of Skin)
1. Cool Burn
Immerse in cool water for 10 or 15 minutes.
Don't apply ice. It can lower body temperature and cause further pain and damage.
Don't break blisters or apply butter or ointments, which can cause infection.
2. Protect Burn
Cover loosely with sterile, nonstick bandage and secure in place with gauze or tape.
3. Prevent Shock
Unless the person has a head, neck, or leg injury, or it would cause discomfort:
Lay the person flat.
Elevate feet about 12 inches.
Elevate burn area above heart level, if possible.
Cover the person with a coat or blanket.
4. See a Doctor
The doctor can
test burn severity, prescribe antibiotics and pain medications, and administer a tetanus shot, if needed.

Excellent post.

OP, you never mentioned if it's a first, second, or third degree burn, and over how much area. Can you clarify?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 6:49 pm
Rappel wrote:
Excellent post.

OP, you never mentioned if it's a first, second, or third degree burn, and over how much area. Can you clarify?

The hand is normally considered approximately 1% of body surface area. In my experience burns from an iron are normally second degree (which is why I didn't copy the directions for third degree burns! It's there, if anyone wants to follow the link.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics