Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Cost of Pesach

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:36 pm
I am a widow with one child still at home. We will have guests for a few meals but not large groups of them. We eat turkey and chicken, no beef. I don't buy any prepared food or nosh. We do eat hand matzah but other than the sedorim, we don't eat huge quantities. Mostly we just make hamotzi. I don't know what other corners to cut and have it feel yom tovdik. And yet I would estimate that this one week will cost us a solid $600. Is this normal? What are you spending and how large is your family?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:41 pm
There is an organization that covers the cost of all meat, chicken and maybe also fish for widows. called keren almones. I’m not sure what their contact info is but hopefully someone on imamother knows.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:45 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
There is an organization that covers the cost of all meat, chicken and maybe also fish for widows. called keren almones. I’m not sure what their contact info is but hopefully someone on imamother knows.

Thank you but I already finished all of my shopping except produce. This was a query re whether I am doing something wrong/overspending.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:49 pm
Sounds about right to me. Pesach is expensive because you need to buy so much at once even if you don't buy a lot.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you but I already finished all of my shopping except produce. This was a query re whether I am doing something wrong/overspending.

I want you to have it for the future though. It’s a really beautiful organization. I believe they cover the costs all year round for widows to purchase meat and chicken.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 9:51 pm
$600 sounds very little to me! Youre doing great. I hope you can buy yourself one nice thing for pesach.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:08 pm
It’s a lot of meals that are bigger than your regular pasta and cheese or challah and chicken soup.
Even machine matzah is more expensive than challah and you have to have 6 meals in the first days alone! That’s like 3 weeks worth of shbbosm.

$600 is completely normal, I’d say even on the low end.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Mar 23 2023, 10:27 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I want you to have it for the future though. It’s a really beautiful organization. I believe they cover the costs all year round for widows to purchase meat and chicken.

I got their contact info! kerenalmones@gmail.com or call 718-782-5349.

They’re very busy at this time of year coordinating everyone’s pesach food but please, please reach out to them after pesach to sign up for their services. They cover fish, meat and chicken all year round for widows. You are dealing with so much pain, you and your family deserve this help.

You can find some more info at this link: https://drive.google.com/drive.....pli=1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics