Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What device for DD interested in illustration?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 12:49 am
I'm looking to not spend too much but she does seem to have a genuine interest and talent and I'd like to support it on some level... she is 12 years old and currently self-taught using pencils and markers. She's been asking for a good drawing app but all I have is a very very old iPad that doesn't support anything current.

Interested in a standalone tablet she can use with a stylus and digital illustration app (procreate?) But I was also already looking for an inexpensive Chromebook or laptop for the kids to use to type school reports and the like (they now borrow mine but I don't like the competition for timing and I also want a stronger filter for them) so if it works better to get a drawing device that connects to a separate computer I'm open to that. But I don't want to spend a ton on a powerful graphics computer when I was currently looking at budget chromebooks...

Not sure where to go with this that won't break the bank but also won't lead to a frustrating user experience but rather something dd can learn well on.

Any input or advice is appreciated. I know a tiny bit about this stuff from basic googling (like the fact that there are drawing tablets that work with a computer, that a popular app is called procreate, that a cheap chromebook might not support graphic software) but I know none of the specific details and I don't have time or brainpower for real research.

professor

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 7:54 am
https://estore.wacom.com/en-US.....D_BwE

My dd has this. There's also an illustration course on zoom Berlingerart Academy an Israeli teacher who gives lessons on how to illustrate using technology

Oops... just saw that your dd is 12. This course is for adult women, but meanwhile she can draw and illustrate with a tablet I guess

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:12 am
Gulp. I was hoping to invest waaaaay less than that... it's just a hobby

Frumme

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:29 am
One that connects to a computer will be less expensive than one that has a screen, but one that has a screen can often be used without a computer.

Huion H1060P or Wacom might be a good inexpensive screenless cheaper option.

For one with a screen this one looks decent:
https://a.co/d/hdi5ekm

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:34 am
Ipad with an apple pencil is amazing for drawing. Ipads are the only device that can run procreate. Unless that has changed within the past year.

With a computer you'll probably need a subscription to Photoshop. Procreate is $10 one time.

Not sure how it would work with having limited internet or word processing on an ipad though.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:47 am
Years ago when I was interested in this, I bought a usb tablet that allowed me to use it like a mouse and draw on the computer. I'm not sure what it was called and I used it with photoshop but I don't know enough about what's out there now and the best programme to use. I didn't have mine connected to the internet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics