Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Sourdough starter

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:21 am
For those of you who have nice old, very alive sourdough starters and you don't sell chametz gamur - what are you doing? I feel so upset at the thought of throwing it out!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:22 am
It’s why I stopped makimg sourdough bread Crying

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:01 am
We threw it out.
I was just wondering what happened in the days before yeast on a year like this when you can’t make a new starter quick enough for shabbos? Did they just eat matzah for another week?

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:11 am
My Dayan said I can sell it.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:27 pm
How do you make new starter? I got starter from someone and am not so happy to throw it out because I don’t know if I’d be able to get again. So can anyone lmk how to make it from scratch? Thanks!

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
How do you make new starter? I got starter from someone and am not so happy to throw it out because I don’t know if I’d be able to get again. So can anyone lmk how to make it from scratch? Thanks!

Google it, it’s very easy, just takes a few weeks

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:35 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
We threw it out.
I was just wondering what happened in the days before yeast on a year like this when you can’t make a new starter quick enough for shabbos? Did they just eat matzah for another week?

Yes.

That is what they did.

Either matzah or pita.

agreer

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
For those of you who have nice old, very alive sourdough starters and you don't sell chametz gamur - what are you doing? I feel so upset at the thought of throwing it out!

I see someone on Instagram who says her Rav lets her give it to a friend as a gift before pesach.

After pesach, friend gives it back to her as a gift.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:40 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:

I made my own, it’s really simple and easy.

Start with
100G water
50G w/w flour
50G white spelt flour

Mix it well, leave it on your counter loosely covered, if you’re using a mason jar only add the top lid not the ring, if using a deli container just plop the cover on top without sealing it.
Every day you take off 50G of that mixture and add the same measurements of flour and water.
Mine took almost 3 weeks to become active.

Good luck!

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 2:55 pm
amother Peony wrote:
I made my own, it’s really simple and easy.

Start with
100G water
50G w/w flour
50G white spelt flour

Mix it well, leave it on your counter loosely covered, if you’re using a mason jar only add the top lid not the ring, if using a deli container just plop the cover on top without sealing it.
Every day you take off 50G of that mixture and add the same measurements of flour and water.
Mine took almost 3 weeks to become active.

Good luck!

I'm experimenting on that now. What tells you that it's active, IE ready to use?

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 2:58 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
I'm experimenting on that now. What tells you that it's active, IE ready to use?

If it bubbles up, doubles in size, within a few hours after feeding it

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 3:20 pm
It can start bubbling and doubling in size a few days before it is ready.
It takes at least a week before it is ready - most websites say anywhere from 7-14 days depending on the temperature in your house.
The true test is if it floats in water.
One year after Pesach I made the mistake of seeing it double on day 4 and deciding that it was ready - spoiler alert…it was not!
Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics