Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My Son is short
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:18 pm
OP, my son was also a very low percentile and even though he didn't have a deficiency the endocrinologist prescribed growth hormones. Personally I think it's worth it, we finally saw him growing and when it's a low percentile you have a higher chance of insurance covering it.

momsprince

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:23 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Op I’m selling a supply of natural growth treatment with good results. I bought it for my own son but since he’s starting hormone shots I decided to pause this treatment for now.
Is this only for a deficiency? Can you pm me please? I have some questions.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:32 pm
amother Dill wrote:
A good endo will also check for other causes like crohns and celiac. My brother grew a lot after being treated for crohns.

Seconding this, one of the first things the endocorologist said to us was that they always suggest seeing a GI to rule out those issues when you have a child that’s not growing as expected. If you really don’t want to see a GI or it’s hard for you to get to one, your pediatrician should be able to order the GI panels. I suggest waiting until you have both prescriptions and doing everything at once so your child doesn’t have to get pricked twice.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 6:48 pm
Got to a pediatrician endocrinologist.
He took blood work and monitored ds growth age with xrays of his hand.

Dh was diagnosed with Precocious puberty. He went on Anastrozole for about 2 years. It's an oral medication. Bh ds is about 5 5. His predicted growth originally with no intervention was 5 feet

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 7:44 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I was very short as a child, had a growth spurt at 14 and am now 5'2". My son, otoh, was very short as a child, the endocrinologist assured us he would be at least 5'6" and he ended up 5'3". He found a wife anyhow. Wink

My son in law to be is five three. My daughter is five six. She’s happy.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son is 8, and BH he is "on" the charts for height, but he's bounced between the 1st and 5th percentile, and very short compared to other kids his age. I happen to be short too. I asked his pediatrician recently about possibly seeing an endocrinologist to look into growth hormones, but he told me my son has always trended upwards on the chart, and since my husband is 6 ft and my in-law family is on the taller side, he didn't think it was necessary. However, my son is overall an underdog in a lot of ways, academically, socially etc, and I would hate if his height ended up being something in addition to his other issues that cause him grief as he grows older.
I guess why I'm here, is I was wondering if other people had children who started out very short on the chart, and eventually had a growth spurt?
Did anyone here have a pediatrician that didnt encourage looking into growth hormones and you now regret it? Or you went anyway and did growth hormones and are now happy with the decision, that you went with your instinct?
Those who pushed for growth hormones, are you happy you did? Any regrets?
Would love to hear experiences from other moms in similar situations.
Thanks in advance

My son was the shortest in his class all through elementary. He’s 20 now bh and taller than most of his peers. I think he’s about 6 feet.

Happykind

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:33 pm
My son is on growth hormone shots. He was always off the charts. Now he’s on the charts. Bh the shots have been working great!

I gave it to him because it was bothering his self esteem to no end.

We’re trying to see how much we can catch in before he hits puberty. ( he already is beginning)

Happykind

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:35 pm
https://www.google.com/search?.....afari

We use her she’s great. Side note most are women drs. My son is uncomfortable but we haven’t found a male dr yet.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:37 pm
If you're in New Jersey Dr. Craig Alter in Chop is absolutely the best.

mandr

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:45 pm
There are sooo many other diseases and syndromes that cause short stature without GH deficiency. So if blood test shows no deficiency doesn’t mean GH treatments should be off the table. Take a look at Magic Foundation’s website and you’ll see some examples.

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:47 pm
I always wondered about this. I see so many people nowadays - in the general public - giving hormone shots.

Unless there is a problem, how much of height is simply genetics?
I mean if both parents aren’t too tall, how tall can your child expected to be already?

farm

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
I always wondered about this. I see so many people nowadays - in the general public - giving hormone shots.

Unless there is a problem, how much of height is simply genetics?
I mean if both parents aren’t too tall, how tall can your child expected to be already?

The kids get GH if they are deficient. Not if they are genetically short. My personal theory is that a lot of ‘genetically short’ parents/grandparents were GH deficient. And so are their kids. But BH now we can do something about it!

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:18 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Op I’m selling a supply of natural growth treatment with good results. I bought it for my own son but since he’s starting hormone shots I decided to pause this treatment for now.

what is natural growth hormone?
why dont people take it instead of the shots?

can you just buy it anywhere or does it need to be prescribed?

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:20 pm
farm wrote:
The kids get GH if they are deficient. Not if they are genetically short. My personal theory is that a lot of ‘genetically short’ parents/grandparents were GH deficient. And so are their kids. But BH now we can do something about it!

I was thinking the same thing.

who knows what deficiency ancestors had that were passed along?

is there such a thing as plain short genes?

sometimes it can be a gene deficiency which cant always be helped but its not plain genetic?

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:32 pm
My son was very short so before starting GH his pediatrician ran a blood panel to rule out anything else and it came back positive for celiac. B”h he’s grown quite a bit since then.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 9:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son is 8, and BH he is "on" the charts for height, but he's bounced between the 1st and 5th percentile, and very short compared to other kids his age. I happen to be short too. I asked his pediatrician recently about possibly seeing an endocrinologist to look into growth hormones, but he told me my son has always trended upwards on the chart, and since my husband is 6 ft and my in-law family is on the taller side, he didn't think it was necessary. However, my son is overall an underdog in a lot of ways, academically, socially etc, and I would hate if his height ended up being something in addition to his other issues that cause him grief as he grows older.
I guess why I'm here, is I was wondering if other people had children who started out very short on the chart, and eventually had a growth spurt?
Did anyone here have a pediatrician that didnt encourage looking into growth hormones and you now regret it? Or you went anyway and did growth hormones and are now happy with the decision, that you went with your instinct?
Those who pushed for growth hormones, are you happy you did? Any regrets?
Would love to hear experiences from other moms in similar situations.
Thanks in advance

I have a family member that was discouraged from taking growth hormones and is now an adult and both he and his parents regret it (his parents likely regret it because he does. He really wishes he had the additional 2+ inches growth hormones likely would have given him)

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:25 pm
My son is 10 and is very short (below the charts) but we did the tests and he is not GH deficient. The X-rays showed that he measured 1.5-2 years younger than his age, so at least he’ll have some extra time to make up the height…unfortunately insurance will not cover GH hormone shots since he is not deficient. It seems that other peoples insurance does cover it? It’s definitely disappointing, bc it’s about 30k per year if not covered by insurance.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:27 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I have a family member that was discouraged from taking growth hormones and is now an adult and both he and his parents regret it (his parents likely regret it because he does. He really wishes he had the additional 2+ inches growth hormones likely would have given him)

Here's 2 inches, for a lot less than $30k.
https://www.amazon.com/Battle-.....T8P45

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:27 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
what is natural growth hormone?
why dont people take it instead of the shots?

can you just buy it anywhere or does it need to be prescribed?

It’s not a hormone. It’s a herbal remedy.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Brown wrote:
Here's 2 inches, for a lot less than $30k.
https://www.amazon.com/Battle-.....T8P45

My brother was looking for this thanks!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics