Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
DD self harm

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:46 pm
I don’t even know what to say. I could just use some chizuk. She calls it a habit and seems motivated to break it but there are so many steps backwards and I’m scared for her.

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 10:59 pm
I’m sorry you’re going through this. You must be terrified.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t even know what to say. I could just use some chizuk. She calls it a habit and seems motivated to break it but there are so many steps backwards and I’m scared for her.

I'm sorry OP, it is so scary and hard. It's not impossible to stop, but it's not usually just a habit, and there's likely more to it.

If she's not in therapy yet, get on the phone tomorrow to get her some support. Also get some support for you too. Find out what you need to do if things escalate. Work with her team to develop a safety plan that includes you. There has to be some sign that she shares to inform you when she needs more help and needs professionals. And find out if she needs a referral to a psychiatrist.

dena613

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:01 pm
So hard!!! Hugs..

Are you in touch with professionals? Is she seeing professionals?

Maybe call amudim(?)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:02 pm
Thank you, yes I really am and I’m so thrown off because she’s always been/seemed like such a happy kid so it feels very new and very confusing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:03 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
I'm sorry OP, it is so scary and hard. It's not impossible to stop, but it's not usually just a habit, and there's likely more to it.

If she's not in therapy yet, get on the phone tomorrow to get her some support. Also get some support for you too. Find out what you need to do if things escalate. Work with her team to develop a safety plan that includes you. There has to be some sign that she shares to inform you when she needs more help and needs professionals. And find out if she needs a referral to a psychiatrist.

Yeah, I got her a therapist immediately and we made a safety plan that we shared with the school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:06 pm
Her friends are the ones that point out when she scratches herself which upsets me for two reasons. 1/ that’s a big burden for her friends to carry and 2/ she says she doesn’t notice until they point it out. As I said we have a safety plan thank Gd..

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:37 pm
Is it a skin picking thing? She uses her own fingernails?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:56 pm
Is it self harm or just OCD, sensory etc?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 11:58 pm
She’s always been sensory but now she can’t be around anything sharp.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:08 am
I'm not so clear, is she using her nails and scratching herself or has she been cutting herself with something? Either way sounds like a tough situation, sending love and support

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 12:12 am
amother OP wrote:
She’s always been sensory but now she can’t be around anything sharp.

But is she really harming herself or just picking skin with it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children