Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Turning over today and tomorrow
1  2  Next

chouli

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:21 am
The title says it all. I'm turning my kitchen over today, maybe finish tomorrow. Start cooking and freezing then. We have lots of guests, big family and I don't want to get into pessach exhausted...we will still have some chometz in the dining room. Am I crazy?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:32 am
I mean, maybe? It sounds crazy for me, but you have to do what works for you. We are 8 people first days. I am working Mon and Tues next week. Normally I turn over 2 days before. This year bc of how it falls out I'm turning over "early" on Sunday night.

I make my most of my mains in the slow cooker. First one first night, 2nd during the day, 3rd the next night, 4th on the second day. 1st night I do sides and kugels, second I do desserts. Erev YT make whatever else is needed to get through seder and first days.

That works for me, but everyone has to do what will keep them and their families somewhat sane.

chouli

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:36 am
Thanks for your reply. I must add that j don't cook on yom tov. So all the food for our family of 10 plus guests for almost every meal has to be prepared in advance

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:49 am
chouli wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I must add that j don't cook on yom tov. So all the food for our family of 10 plus guests for almost every meal has to be prepared in advance

I understand. I also don't cook on yt. You have to do what makes you feel sane and happy. For me I'd rather pack all the cooking into the days before rather than the week before plus an extra weekkof making everything from scratch, which would be impossible for me bc I'd be working then.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:54 am
chouli wrote:

Doesnt sound crazy at all.
I would love to do the same.

What are you actually doing today?
Need some advice.

I want to start but I dont know what to do first!!

I guess first thing is moving everything out the kitchen....?

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:58 am
Who cares care what anyone else thinks, this is what works best for you.

I personally am on the same page of starting early and setting up for chometz in the DR. Turnover is stressful whenever you do it, and I'd rather have some recovery time between turnover, preparing house for guests, getting the advance cooking done, and the sedarim.

(Amother orchid, I start by cleaning everything -- checking through all cabinets, deep cleaning fridge and freezer, stove, oven. Once the kitchen is kashered, it's more annoying to wash the chometz stuff, so I also cook and freeze for the final week before Pesach. I clean and check all silverware getting kashered, and set it aside. After that's all finished and cleaned up, and our stainless steel sinks are cleaned and closed, during their 24 hours off, I do the counters and floors and the moving. I take microwave, toaster oven, electric burner, and hot pot into dining room, set up for minimal dishwashing in the downstairs bathroom, then clear and line the cabinets and drawers I'll be using for Pesach. I start the laundry of the dish towels and potholders. I bring down a laundry basket of large towels, set up the kashering stuff (stove finished, Pesach electric kettle, tea kettle, huge Pesach pot all filled and boiling). DH does the actual kashering. I run the self clean cycle on the ovens whenever it works best. After kashering, we cover and unpack.)

OP, you have great reasons to do what you're doing, and kol hakavod on being almost there!

Last edited by imasinger on Tue, Mar 28 2023, 5:14 am; edited 3 times in total

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 5:03 am
I think you are doing the right thing. I turned over on Sunday. We’re 19 people and I’m in the kitchen myself. It’s an awful lot of work. The last 2 days I’ve been in the kitchen round the clock that my bones are aching…. And I’ve barely started.
I set up a folding table in the dining room for our chometz. There’s an urn, microwave, toaster oven and an electric burner. Under the table are 3 boxes containing our chometz food. So far it’s working out. It does make me a little nervous when I’m pouring pesach soup into containers for the freezer and some asks for help in the dining room with a sandwich. I’m using the bathroom sink to wash up after chometz.
At this point with pesach a week away and so many people to cook for I think this is the only way to do it. I guess it would be easier if I had a pesach kitchen… for now my regular kitchen has become the pesach kitchen.
Good luck with all your preparations.

chouli

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 5:10 am
Thanks, this is what works best for me. We have a panini maker that we only use before pessach so it's special for the kids. Once or twice takeout and the rest of the time real food cooked in my pessach pots and transfered to plastic to be eaten in the living room

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 6:38 am
Not crazy. I had a baby last year and turned over rosh chodesh, cooked and froze till I went into the hospital. We wouldn't have had food otherwise.

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:02 am
I think advance prep is smart, not crazy! I’m planning to turn over tomorrow.

If I’d turn over after Shabbos, I know that Pesach shopping and putting away the groceries would take hours on Sunday, so that would leave me just Monday and Tuesday to cook. On Wednesday I only plan to make salads and clean up, possibly nap!

While two full days of cooking may sound sufficient, what if there’s an unexpected time-consuming errand or I’m feeling low energy one of those days? I’d rather turn over this week than risk going into Pesach staying up very late and being ultra exhausted! Also, my family likes a variety of Pesach cakes and cookies that I always bake, so it’s not just cooking!

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:43 am
Really depends how close your kitchen is to the dining room and if you have little kids dragging food around

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:19 pm
We are 20 ppl for the whole pesach. I turned over on Monday and started cooking today.
Chanetz is on a table set up in the dining room with whatever bread and stuff I had, plus Betty Crocker and microwave.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I make my most of my mains in the slow cooker. First one first night, 2nd during the day, 3rd the next night, 4th on the second day. 1st night I do sides and kugels, second I do desserts.

Id be thrilled if you can easily share your main dish recipes. Thanks!

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:37 pm
I’m halfway turned over. Will be done tonight bezH.
I love to prep ahead, I go into it so much more relaxed! I’m also very early on in a pregnancy bH and anxious to do my meats and chickens before the nausea kicks in LOL And I want to accomplish whatever I can before the kids get off of school. BH I was able to get ahead at work over the last few weeks so I have more time now.
I still have a small chametz area with almost full cooking abilities so we don’t feel the pinch too much.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 3:46 pm
chouli wrote:
The title says it all. I'm turning my kitchen over today, maybe finish tomorrow. Start cooking and freezing then. We have lots of guests, big family and I don't want to get into pessach exhausted...we will still have some chometz in the dining room. Am I crazy?
nope I am doing the same as you. The only difficulty would be having good recipes from now till pesach and not having chametz in the home to be safe... (BH we are able to have matza kitniyot etc.. so we have more of a variety) For shabbos , make kiddush in plastic becher and discard and have challah in a corner area with some dips , then completely clean up table with all crumbs and either bentch and have rest of the seuda later on a klp table or really clean well and serve pesach dik food.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:21 pm
My plan is to change over after cleaning up from Shabbos. So, being ready to start Sunday morning.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:28 pm
Iymnok wrote:
My plan is to change over after cleaning up from Shabbos. So, being ready to start Sunday morning.

I think a lot of people are gonna do same this year.

But honestly dont care what anyone does. Whatever works. Everyone gets there in the end.

amother
Freesia

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 4:34 pm
Not crazy at all.
I usually turn over a week in advance but only my Fleishig side. Like that we still have access to normal food on the milchig side.
Works for me. Been doing that for years. I can cook in peace and don't have to frantically rush the last few days.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 5:02 pm
I'm doing the same and I'm cooking for 7. I cleaned fridge and freezer and cabinets and counters. Will wash the floor and kasher sinks and self clean oven tomorrow. And then cover the counters and bring up the pesach stuff. I dont have strength to stay up late cooking everything in 2 days. All ways are fine! We all get to the finish line in the end!

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 5:04 pm
Ok just came here to say that this thread title is wayyyy too triggering for me every time I see it on the home page 🤦‍♀️
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics