Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kitniyot in Pesach pans?

Golde

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:42 am
We don't eat kitniyot on Pesach and so my Peasch pots and pans have never been anywhere near kintniyot. However I always struggle with what to feed my family in the days before Pesach when I've turned my kitchen over. So I started thinking... could I cook kitniyot in my Pesach pots and serve in the days prior to Pesach? It seems very wrong to me but anyone knows if it would be permissible?

For now this is only an hypothetical question as I would definitely ask my rav before actually doing so. I was just thinking and wondering about this.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:49 am
AYLOR. Some say it's all right, some say no. It's not a crazy question.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:49 am
Obviously ask, but I wouldn't. Doesn't feel right to me at all.
Why don't you buy an electric burner, set it up outside of your kitchen, and use your chometz pots to cook the same kitniyos? (Then wash the pot in the bathroom sink.) That way, you're still safe if something gets around your house.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 7:52 am
Do you have disposable pans to bake some rice in the oven? Or can you use your chometz microwave or slow cooker to make it in?

Golde

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:00 am
pause wrote:
Obviously ask, but I wouldn't. Doesn't feel right to me at all.
Why don't you buy an electric burner, set it up outside of your kitchen, and use your chometz pots to cook the same kitniyos? (Then wash the pot in the bathroom sink.) That way, you're still safe if something gets around your house.

Yes I guess I should. I'm trying to hold back on expenses as Pesach is expensive enough as is but I guess this would be an investment that will help keep me sane in all those Pesachs to come! Thanks for the idea

Golde

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:01 am
ra_mom wrote:
Do you have disposable pans to bake some rice in the oven? Or can you use your chometz microwave or slow cooker to make it in?

I don't have a microwave but the slowcooker is an excellent idea! Thank you! Why have I never thought about that before...

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:22 am
Def ask your LOR. I have a child who needs kitnyos on pesach and we were told to use seperate dishes for her food. (in reality disposables). There's a lot you can do with minimal dishes (just leave out a crockpot)/ ready to serve foods (like canned corn and containers of chummus) on paper though

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:10 pm
We have an urn & toaster oven in the corner of the dining room, although we don't have so many to feed.

I wanted to roast some veg on disposable pans. They weren't even kitniyos, just open in fridge (which by the way had no chometz that I can remember) but DH didn't want me to use the oven for 24 hours before kashering. Not that he is a posek, he can sometimes say to do something more machmir because why not? Well maybe because it inconveniences me, but neither of us can be bothered to call a rov....

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:12 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
We have an urn & toaster oven in the corner of the dining room, although we don't have so many to feed.

I wanted to roast some veg on disposable pans. They weren't even kitniyos, just open in fridge (which by the way had no chometz that I can remember) but DH didn't want me to use the oven for 24 hours before kashering. Not that he is a posek, he can sometimes say to do something more machmir because why not? Well maybe because it inconveniences me, but neither of us can be bothered to call a rov....

Not using the oven for 24 hours before kashering is a real halacha

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:54 pm
Quote:
I know that, but I have a feeling it might only apply to chometz...

cbsp

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Quote:
I know that, but I have a feeling it might only apply to chometz...

If you're heating the non kashered oven it's activating the chometz in the oven (even if you're only heating it to cook non chometz food). That then turns the oven into a "ben yomo" and you have to start the 24 hour count again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics