Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Candied Nuts

pause

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:15 pm
Last year I found a recipe on here for candied nuts that calls for slivered almonds and chopped walnuts with honey and sugar. It was my main snack last chol hamoed. I also used it as a topping for applesauce compote and lemon sorbet.

Alas, I didn't save it in my recipe box. Can someone be so kind as to find it for me or to post their own recipe? Thanks in advance!

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 8:31 pm
This is how I make it with 2lbs bag of raw whole almonds.
Put in pot 2c of sugar and half cup of water. Boil until sugar is melted. Add almonds. Stir on the fire. Sugar will first cristalise then melt to shiny. Spread hot almonds on big pan covered with foil. Break it up once cooled.
Super delicious and totally addictive!
Eta: Watch carefully that it doesn't burn!

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:21 pm
Candied Nuts

2 cup almonds
2 cup cashews
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
sprinkle of kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the almonds and cashews together in a mixing bowl.
Pour honey in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds to a minute, just until it starts to bubble and become liquidy. Remove and add cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and salt. Stir well.
Pour honey mixture over the nuts, and mix well, until the nuts are well coated. Pour nuts on baking sheet, and spread around evenly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the nuts are fragrant and nice and golden brown. Remove and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top. Add another sprinkle of salt, and let cool for just a few minutes.

**IMPORTANT! As soon as you can handle them safely, break the nuts apart and remove from the parchment paper onto the pan itself. The nuts will stick to the parchment paper if you let them sit too long.

Honey Roasted Nuts

4 cups nuts
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 300° F.
Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
Combine the nuts and honey in a large bowl. Gently stir well to coat the nuts.
Spread nuts on the baking sheet in a single layer – try to space them out so they are not touching.
Bake at 300° F for 15 minutes.
Remove honey roasted nuts from oven and let cool for a minute or 2. Then, sparingly sprinkle brown sugar over them.
Let cool for an additional 5 minutes. Then, dump the nuts off the parchment paper on the pan. Stir gently to separate and let cool 10 minutes.

NOTES
Only use a small amount of honey.
Watch the cook time as all ovens vary a bit. Check the nuts after 10 minutes to test for doneness.
The light sprinkle of brown sugar helps decrease the stickiness – don’t omit this step.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:50 pm
Thank you!

I'm still searching Imamother for the recipe I made last year, so if anyone can find that, I'd appreciate it.

(The search feature is so clumsy because if I could just search under my own SN, I'm sure I'd find it in a blink.)

Stars

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 9:52 pm
pause wrote:
Thank you!

I'm still searching Imamother for the recipe I made last year, so if anyone can find that, I'd appreciate it.

(The search feature is so clumsy because if I could just search under my own SN, I'm sure I'd find it in a blink.)

You can still see all of your own posts, if that’s what you mean.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:07 pm
Stars wrote:
You can still see all of your own posts, if that’s what you mean.

And scroll through nearly 500 pages? I guess if I'm really bored...

pause

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:15 pm
I just did it. Searched by pages of 5 until I got to Pesach time and then searched page by page. It took 7 whole minutes. Stupid! If only there was a search option...

Anyway, here's the thread. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25157. I guess there's a reason I didn't save the recipe in my box.

Stars

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 10:18 pm
pause wrote:
I just did it. Searched by pages of 5 until I got to Pesach time and then searched page by page. It took 7 whole minutes. Stupid! If only there was a search option...

Anyway, here's the thread. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25157. I guess there's a reason I didn't save the recipe in my box.

Ha

pause

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Candied Nuts

2 cup almonds
2 cup cashews
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons brown sugar
sprinkle of kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Mix the almonds and cashews together in a mixing bowl.
Pour honey in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds to a minute, just until it starts to bubble and become liquidy. Remove and add cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and salt. Stir well.
Pour honey mixture over the nuts, and mix well, until the nuts are well coated. Pour nuts on baking sheet, and spread around evenly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the nuts are fragrant and nice and golden brown. Remove and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top. Add another sprinkle of salt, and let cool for just a few minutes.

**IMPORTANT! As soon as you can handle them safely, break the nuts apart and remove from the parchment paper onto the pan itself. The nuts will stick to the parchment paper if you let them sit too long.

Honey Roasted Nuts

4 cups nuts
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 300° F.
Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
Combine the nuts and honey in a large bowl. Gently stir well to coat the nuts.
Spread nuts on the baking sheet in a single layer – try to space them out so they are not touching.
Bake at 300° F for 15 minutes.
Remove honey roasted nuts from oven and let cool for a minute or 2. Then, sparingly sprinkle brown sugar over them.
Let cool for an additional 5 minutes. Then, dump the nuts off the parchment paper on the pan. Stir gently to separate and let cool 10 minutes.

NOTES
Only use a small amount of honey.
Watch the cook time as all ovens vary a bit. Check the nuts after 10 minutes to test for doneness.
The light sprinkle of brown sugar helps decrease the stickiness – don’t omit this step.

Do you think I can substitute white sugar instead of brown in either of these recipes?

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Mar 28 2023, 11:34 pm
Should be fine. Add a sprinkle of salt to the plain sugar for the one that uses just honey and (brown) sugar.
Allow to cool until they are not sticky. Depending on the temperature, it should take around 1 - 3 hours for them to completely cool and dry out.

Or this one may be more suited to your ingredient list.
https://cookpad.com/us/recipes.....-nuts

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 12:03 am
pause wrote:

For crispy vs chewy you need to get the sugar mixture up to a higher temp (hard crack). Best to use a candy thermometer for most accurate results.

chams

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 1:57 am
I always have a hard time breaking up the nuts when it cools down and end up getting cuts trying to break it up. Any. Ideas I have used crumbled foil, parchment paper and a slip mat.
Thank you

pause

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 7:44 am
chams wrote:
I always have a hard time breaking up the nuts when it cools down and end up getting cuts trying to break it up. Any. Ideas I have used crumbled foil, parchment paper and a slip mat.
Thank you

Cover a hammer in silver foil and bang.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:59 am
pause wrote:
Cover a hammer in silver foil and bang.

Double heavy duty freezer bag contains them better than foil.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics