Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/o Florida vouchers
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 3:10 am
Where in the USA do they have vouchers for frum schools? Please specify if income based. We have been considering different cities to move to and tuition may be a consideration if all other issues are comparable.

Florida just got 8000 a child, not income based.
Cleveland?
Anywhere else?

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 4:40 am
Can you also answer how much tuition costs? What's most relevant is how much **I'll** be paying for tuition.

$30,000 with an $8,000 voucher, is a lot worse than $10,000 with no voucher...

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 5:10 am
Doesn’t SouthBend Indiana have? Also Cinicinatti I believe.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 6:58 am
Florida.
no state taxes either B"H

and common sense policies
no nonsense B"H

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:45 am
The tuition is high in Florida. The voucher pays for maybe half then you pay another 10k on top of it.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:38 pm
amother Natural wrote:
The tuition is high in Florida. The voucher pays for maybe half then you pay another 10k on top of it.

Yeah but can you stack the new voucher with step up? So get $16K?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:43 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Yeah but can you stack the new voucher with step up? So get $16K?

The new voucher is an extension of Step Up - they just expanded the eligibility requirements. Everyone is getting the same 8k. The downside is that the day this bill passed 2 of my kids schools raised their tuition. I'm waiting on the third school to follow suit. So now everyone will still pay the same amount, with the raised difference in cost covered by the parents. Yippee.

I'm editing to add that for one child I'll now be paying $500 more a month because they raised tuition the day this bill passed (to make up the difference between the cost of the tuition after the scholarship is deducted). If someone can explain why this is all so great I'll be very grateful.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Natural wrote:

10k is still less than what a lot of people pay in other places….

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:49 pm
That’s generally what happens when everyone gets funding. The schools say oh we automatically get 8k or whatever and then say well you were fine paying 10k so instead of you paying 2k, we’ll make tuition 18k and you get 8k off! So you’re only paying 10k! What a bargain!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:49 pm
Arizona

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:50 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
10k is still less than what a lot of people pay in other places….

For a yeshivish out of town school I’d say 10k is about average. High school is more, nursery slightly less.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:50 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
The new voucher is an extension of Step Up - they just expanded the eligibility requirements. Everyone is getting the same 8k. The downside is that the day this bill passed 2 of my kids schools raised their tuition. I'm waiting on the third school to follow suit. So now everyone will still pay the same amount, with the raised difference in cost covered by the scholarship. Yippee.

They raised tuition by 8k??

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 8:53 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
They raised tuition by 8k??

By 5k, which is crazy.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:04 pm
Ohio has income based vouchers. Currently a nice chunk of if you make less than 250% of the federal poverty line, Ohio governor and legislature are thinking about increasing that to 400% of poverty line. Cost of living is less than Florida, including base cost of tuition.

However, people have been moving in to Cleveland so quickly that schools are having trouble keeping up. So it's not all easy. Not sure about Columbus and Cincinnati.

Vibe is also super, super different between Florida and Ohio. You'll probably find that one of them feels way more like home than the other.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
For a yeshivish out of town school I’d say 10k is about average. High school is more, nursery slightly less.

I wish my tuition for any of my kids was that little….

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Ohio has income based vouchers. Currently a nice chunk of if you make less than 250% of the federal poverty line, Ohio governor and legislature are thinking about increasing that to 400% of poverty line. Cost of living is less than Florida, including base cost of tuition.

However, people have been moving in to Cleveland so quickly that schools are having trouble keeping up. So it's not all easy. Not sure about Columbus and Cincinnati.

Vibe is also super, super different between Florida and Ohio. You'll probably find that one of them feels way more like home than the other.

most people in cincinnati live in a failing public school so we get vouchers regardless of income but people who ear under then a certain percentage of the federal poverty line can't be charged the difference....

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:26 pm
Can someone explain to me, in all these places with 10-15k tuitions, does nobody have large families, only rich people do?
How do yeshivish 6-10 kids families survive with 10k+ tuitions?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:27 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
By 5k, which is crazy.

So you are getting 3000 off tuition.
My OOT school raised rates a ton this year with NO voucher or funding. So I would love to get 3000 off tuition.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:32 pm
amother Violet wrote:
Can someone explain to me, in all these places with 10-15k tuitions, does nobody have large families, only rich people do?

Where I live (OOT, not FL) most people get scholarships. For 10k tuition we used to pay 4-5k when we were struggling financially.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 9:33 pm
amother Violet wrote:

a lot of places have a large percentage on scholarship.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children