Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Based on recent anti shell threads...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 7:03 am
How would you make this dress tznius? I would've put a white ribbed shell under but now I'm not sure.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/womens.....BP876

Should I not bother purchasing it?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 7:11 am
amother OP wrote:
How would you make this dress tznius? I would've put a white ribbed shell under but now I'm not sure.

Of course get a shell! Stop listening to what other people say and wear what you like. I love this dress

hodeez

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 7:15 am
That would look pretty with a white ribbed shell

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 7:29 am
amother Peach wrote:
Of course get a shell! Stop listening to what other people say and wear what you like. I love this dress

Thanks! I really like this dress. I'm not the most conventional dresser but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 7:29 am
Sure you can, this is a jumper style. I would say no shell for a sleeveless dress with full bodice up to the neck & arms

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:03 am
This is a jumper style that many might wear with a tshirt. I think don’t use the word shell which connotes a polyester tight undergarment.

I do think you need to get proportions and fit correct as jumpers are generally looser fitting in the bodice so they skim the body. Also I wouid think a cotton shirt would be more comfortable than a polyester or nylon shell

This is an older article but if you google fashionable jumper dresses you can see how they can be styled

https://www.whowhatwear.com/de.....lide9

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! I really like this dress. I'm not the most conventional dresser but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Where do you live? Because I really love this outfit but in Brooklyn you’re bound to get some stares

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:05 am
amother Pewter wrote:
Where do you live? Because I really love this outfit but in Brooklyn you’re bound to get some stares

Passaic

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:06 am
I might be a total nerd and a Harry, but I think that would look very nice with a ribbed shell underneath in a variety of solid colors, especially white!

writinggirl

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:23 am
I don’t consider a ribbed shell a shell 🤷‍♀️ I think you are going more for a layering look than a jumper and shell look.

imaima

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:32 am
amother OP wrote:

This is basically a pinafore
Absolutely normal with a shell

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:35 am
writinggirl wrote:
I don’t consider a ribbed shell a shell 🤷‍♀️ I think you are going more for a layering look than a jumper and shell look.

I agree as I think she’ll has a specific meaning as I think of it as a tight polyester thin top.

Depending on the garment many people wear layered clothing. Sun dresses with spaghetti straps are very often worn with t-shirts by non frum women. They don’t generally wear them with tight undershirts though

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 8:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Passaic

You are in Passaic!!!
You don’t need to listen to the arbitrary Brooklyn rules. There is a reason you live there. You like down to earth people.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:03 am
IMHO if you are older than 20ish than it will look silly with a white t shirt underneath, that’s a very school girl look.

Congresswoman

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:07 am
dancingqueen wrote:
IMHO if you are older than 20ish than it will look silly with a white t shirt underneath, that’s a very school girl look.

Disagree. It’s very much on trend for women. If you have the right figure.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:09 am
dancingqueen wrote:

Denim and white is very in. Maybe it’s a little youthful for someone middle aged, but she can certainly wear it into her 20’s. I’m in my early 30’s and I’d probably wear it, with cute sneakers.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:10 am
No shell underneath cap or short sleeve dresses.
I think this jumper is adorable with a t-shirt/shell . Wear it and enjoy.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:14 am
amother Pewter wrote:

Oh please. I live in Brooklyn and the general public doesn't care, let alone stare. Brooklyn is full of normal people dressing in all kinds of ways. If op lived in that very limited circle, she would know.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:14 am
Because it's fitted at the top, it's not made to wear anything underneath. You'd have to try it out, it may end up looking a bit bumpy or funny looking. It may look ok.
I agree it's a more youthful look. A lot depends on the wearer's build, too.

Congresswoman

Post Wed, Mar 29 2023, 9:15 am
Amarante wrote:
This is a jumper style that many might wear with a tshirt. I think don’t use the word shell which connotes a polyester tight undergarment.

I do think you need to get proportions and fit correct as jumpers are generally looser fitting in the bodice so they skim the body. Also I wouid think a cotton shirt would be more comfortable than a polyester or nylon shell

This is an older article but if you google fashionable jumper dresses you can see how they can be styled

https://www.whowhatwear.com/de.....lide9

Amarante I really appreciate your knowledgeable posts and articles. You know quite a lot about design and fashion, it’s refreshing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics