Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach programs that cancel. What do you do?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 12:55 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Omg.
That is horrible.
So all the money that would-be guests already paid, was just sent to the scammer? And now theres no more money to make the program...
That does make sense.
How awful

Not only all the guests but the director as well probably lost a good chunk of his yearly Parnassah because any money he has would have to be paid to others

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:00 pm
The owner sent this to Elan Kornblum, who published it on FB. This is a phishing scheme.

Elan Kornblum: Message going around from operator:

I just want to give you the real story so just in case you believe you did the right thing by smearing me you'll be able to know just how bad it was.
We did have it very difficult at the beginning since large families that did come to us in the past were not too happy with the location.
This did cause us to be late with the payment schedule but we were able to renegotiated the contract based on the early slow sales and we were doing fine until this week when the payments were not getting to them.
The hotel accused us of playing games and sending fake confirmation emails about wires that we actually did send out, my accountant was saying they had asked to switch to a different account as per the copy I sent you earlier, and this was going back and forth.
Today when we were ready to start cleaning the kitchen the said that we were playing games with them and although we said we sent them wires, they didn't receive it.
I showed them the email with the request to change the bank to PNC and that's when all became clear.
If you look closely you'll see an extra "r" after Claridge .com this proved to the hotel that it wasn't our fault but they were too caught up in the fact that we got a good deal and that they didn't get the money as promised.
At this point they were looking at us as to say you guys got scammed and you'll never be able to pull it off and pay us again so they openedq the hotel to the public.
I begged and cried and told them that we will take the loss and pay again but they fell on deaf ears.
We still get a new confirmation every few minutes that we have to turn down and tell them we are not able to go forward.
Now about the vendors.
They like to be paid up front on Pesach due to the risk of Pesach programs having shut last minute.
We were not in a rush to pay them before the hotel was completely paid since the orders were in and we had time to do it after that last hotel payment that was supposed to be sent to the hotel but got to some crook.
Now that you probably feel stupid I want to know that I'll not forgive you in this world or in the world to come.
All this I told you can be verified with the hotel, my accountant, and my sales person.
Heshy

BaltoMom65

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:05 pm
This is so terrible. These scammers are disgusting

gr82no

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:05 pm
watergirl wrote:
The owner sent this to Elan Kornblum, who published it on FB. This is a phishing scheme.

I just want to give you the real story so just in case you believe you did the right thing by smearing me you'll be able to know just how bad it was.
We did have it very difficult at the beginning since large families that did come to us in the past were not too happy with the location.
This did cause us to be late with the payment schedule but we were able to renegotiated the contract based on the early slow sales and we were doing fine until this week when the payments were not getting to them.
The hotel accused us of playing games and sending fake confirmation emails about wires that we actually did send out, my accountant was saying they had asked to switch to a different account as per the copy I sent you earlier, and this was going back and forth.
Today when we were ready to start cleaning the kitchen the said that we were playing games with them and although we said we sent them wires, they didn't receive it.
I showed them the email with the request to change the bank to PNC and that's when all became clear.
If you look closely you'll see an extra "r" after Claridge .com this proved to the hotel that it wasn't our fault but they were too caught up in the fact that we got a good deal and that they didn't get the money as promised.
At this point they were looking at us as to say you guys got scammed and you'll never be able to pull it off and pay us again so they openedq the hotel to the public.
I begged and cried and told them that we will take the loss and pay again but they fell on deaf ears.
We still get a new confirmation every few minutes that we have to turn down and tell them we are not able to go forward.
Now about the vendors.
They like to be paid up front on Pesach due to the risk of Pesach programs having shut last minute.
We were not in a rush to pay them before the hotel was completely paid since the orders were in and we had time to do it after that last hotel payment that was supposed to be sent to the hotel but got to some crook.
Now that you probably feel stupid I want to know that I'll not forgive you in this world or in the world to come.
All this I told you can be verified with the hotel, my accountant, and my sales person.
Heshy

I’m a bit confused. But shouldn’t he be able to refund everyone with minimal loss to him?
I feel bad for the entertainment that was supposed to go

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:06 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
Woah slow down there. Two bad BBB reviews don’t say that much, my company has hundreds of them and we do a great job. Some customers have crazy demands and will leave bad reviews if we don’t give in to them.

It’s possible that he is a crook. But it’s also possible that he’s not. Feeling sure enough to malign someone publicly takes a lot more research than this.

This man’s wife may be on the site. Don’t jump to conclusions.

She deleted but you didn't. If you really don't want this info posted you have to erase.

BaltoMom65

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:06 pm
amother Dill wrote:
I dont understand what happened.
In the case posted on yeshivaworld, why cant the program continue? The program is saying that they were scammed? Who scammed them and how?

I dont get how scams happen when u have an actual physical reputable hotel, a contract, a chef and staff,mashgichim,entertainment etc lined up...who exactly scammed who?
Im sorry for sounding naive but I just dont get it
Scammers have gotten so sophisticated, especially during the pandemic

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:16 pm
I don't want to pile on a person who seems to have been honestly scammed but he really didn't exercise normal caution of a business person.

I periodically receive *notifications* from my bank or other financial organizations that I deal with.

I never never never respond to the email if they ask me to take some kind of action.

I call the bank using the phone number that is on the *true* website - I.e the one I navigate to in my browser and NOT the one that is contained in the email or text or any other kind of communication. This way I know that I am speaking directly to the real financial institution.

He should NEVER have relied on an email or text changing the payment instructions without contacting the hotel to verify that they had indeed changed the information and confirming the new instructions with his contact there.

This is also a PSA for anyone who receives ANY email - do not respond to the email. Contact your bank to verify.

It is true that the scammers have gotten sophisticated as there have been a few *alerts* theoretically from my bank that look legitimate but again I never respond to any emails or texts - I contact the bank on their phone number so I know I am dealing with the bank.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:17 pm
gr82no wrote:
I’m a bit confused. But shouldn’t he be able to refund everyone with minimal loss to him?
I feel bad for the entertainment that was supposed to go

Refund them with what money? It's all gone.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:21 pm
watergirl wrote:
In a facebook group, apparently the owner wrote that he fell for a phishing scheme. This could happen to anyone - you open an email that was sent from a scam account - the email looks like it came from one of your contacts - and you click on a link embedded in the email. If it asks you for certain information and the person is not savvy enough to know this is a scam, you give the information and your money is gone. There people are often in other countries and there is no way to get the money back.

If what I read is true, this is just a reminder to all of us to be extremely careful and vigilant before clicking on links and even MORE vigilant before typing any information into one of these links. If anyone needs your account info, etc., and you get an email, text, or phone call, HANG UP and call the institution yourself to confirm they really contacted you for this information in the first place. If it's legit, they will be fully supportive of you doing this.

Just last month, the bank associated with my mortgage called me and asked me for sensitive information. I was not expecting this call, so I told her to be extra careful I was going to hang up and call back with the number I always used. She completely understood, as this is best practices when sensitive information is involved.

One would hope a businessman would know better than to fall for a scam like that.

Why are these people losing their money? Did they not pay by credit card? They can dispute the charge with the cc co.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:28 pm
Cheiny wrote:
One would hope a businessman would know better than to fall for a scam like that.

Why are these people losing their money? Did they not pay by credit card? They can dispute the charge with the cc co.

One would hope... I read desperation in his letter. I can't judge him because I know extremely smart and savvy people who have been scammed.

I don't know how people paid.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:29 pm
I agree they did wrong by changing the payment instructions without verification. Then when the hotel didn't receive the first payment they continued with more payments?

Congresswoman

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:30 pm
A terrible situation all around.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:30 pm
Phishing schemes can happen, and even if this is legit that he was scammed, this seems targeted and should be traceable.
According to him, there was a mistake in the email address, meaning someone knew who they were dealing with and it was deliberately being rerouted. It should be brought to the police and investigated properly. And for this amount of money, it won't be ignored.

If this is just an excuse, on the other hand...

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
I agree they did wrong by changing the payment instructions without verification. Then when the hotel didn't receive the first payment they continued with more payments?
Mistakes were made.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:36 pm
watergirl wrote:

Now about the vendors.
Heshy

If this actually happened, then that's horrible. Omg.

But I don't really understand what he's saying. Someone sent him a message that looked like the hotel he was planning a program with? He's saying someone knew he was planning this program before he'd even paid the program for the hotel space (so they knew what kind of email to send) and they knew how much the hotel was charging him to request that amount of money? I guess the type of scammer who was in it for the long haul could have done this much research to try to scam one person? I don't know.

Btw, the fact that he showed an email to a hotel owner doesn't mean anything. The Tinder Swindler would show the women receipts showing he sent money too. That, by itself, means nothing.

I don't know this guy from Adam, so no clue who he is. But also that threatening sentence at the end isn't a good look. Sounds like he's trying to tell people to shut up instead of empathizing with people who suddenly lost all that money, which you would think he would. He's acting like he thinks it's normal that people shouldn't question where their money went, when it's perfectly reasonable to expect that people are going to want an accounting when they pay that much money.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:43 pm
WhatFor wrote:

But I don't really understand what he's saying. Someone sent him a message that looked like the hotel he was planning a program with? He's saying someone knew he was planning this program before he'd even paid the program for the hotel space (so they knew what kind of email to send) and they knew how much the hotel was charging him to request that amount of money? I guess the type of scammer who was in it for the long haul could have done this much research to try to scam one person? I don't know.

Btw, the fact that he showed an email to a hotel owner doesn't mean anything. The Tinder Swindler would show the women receipts showing he sent money too. That, by itself, means nothing.

I don't know this guy from Adam, so no clue who he is. But also that threatening sentence at the end isn't a good look. Sounds like he's trying to tell people to shut up instead of empathizing with people who suddenly lost all that money, which you would think he would. He's acting like he thinks it's normal that people shouldn't question where their money went, when it's perfectly reasonable to expect that people are going to want an accounting when they pay that much money.

Re: your last paragraph - not knowing the guy at all myself, to me it could also be a guy who is so stressed out, he is lashing out at Elan even though he didn't deserve it. We all know hurt people hurt people. Heck, remember last year with the counter cover guy? He lashed out at everyone who was mad at him initially before he ever apologized and issued refunds. This is a much larger amount of money so I imagine the stress is that much worse.

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:43 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
She deleted but you didn't. If you really don't want this info posted you have to erase.

Got busy with other things, fixed it now.

The post on Facebook is so heartbreaking. Falling for a scam hurts your self image, and to have to make it public is so embarrassing 😢 Davening for everyone involved.

This is a good reminder to all that we can never let our guard down when it comes to financial matters online. It is so easy to fall for a phishing scheme as well done as this one was.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:48 pm
watergirl wrote:
Refund them with what money? It's all gone.

He said he begged the hotel to go ahead, saying he can pay them now, but they refused. He should be able to refund the guests from that money. he'll also probably need to tap into his savings.
I understand he's stressed now, but his line about not forgiving those who spoke bad about him, in this world and the next, is too much. Does he want his guests and vendors also not to forgive him?

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Honey wrote:
He said he begged the hotel to go ahead, saying he can pay them now, but they refused. He should be able to refund the guests from that money. he'll also probably need to tap into his savings.
I understand he's stressed now, but his line about not forgiving those who spoke bad about him, in this world and the next, is too much. Does he want his guests and vendors also not to forgive him?

I'm very sure. This is all fresh for everyone and I hate to speculate about what I don't know, ya know?

groovy1224

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 1:49 pm
WhatFor wrote:

RE the bolded: As someone who works in a field where we send wires all the time, yes, this is unfortunately a common scam that is happening. It's very sophisticated. They spoof the email address of someone you communicate with often, and send wiring instructions. I have received such emails, and it's crazy how specific they can be. Once I got suspicious and replied hi is this spam? and the scammer WROTE BACK and said no we have changed banks, these are our new wiring instructions. So presumably once he sent a wire, he got an email back saying that it was received. Which it was, but by the scammer.

This is why it's so important to verbally confirm all wiring instructions, but l'maaseh, many people skip this step when dealing (or when they think they are dealing) with someone they know and trust.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics