Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you doing for shabbos
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:24 pm
Regular shabbat challah and all. We are not turning over until monday.
My family has no desire to have to eat pesachdik longer than pesach.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
We’ve been eating chometz in the dining room because I turned over the kitchen this week. I have a table set up with an urn, microwave and toaster. The microwave is fleishig so I can use it to heat things up. I’ll plug in the crock pot and make Chulent. I can also keep things warm using the cover of the crockpot. I have challah in the freezer, will buy fish, soup, probably chicken fingers…. I will heat up frozen broccoli in the microwave, I have franks n blanks in the freezer and sorbet… Chulent, turkey roll and beef jerky shabbos day.. jars of pickles, bag of lettuce …
Hopefully it will satisfy everyone.
Motzei shabbos we will do the dining room.

I have a similar set up- I turned over my kitchen and set up a Chometz area in my dining room- I would totally plug in my chometz crockpot and put up a cholent but I don't see how I can do that with no sink....where am I soaking the beans? the barley? where am I washing my crockpot afterwards?
It just seems so much easier to make a pesach cholent at this point...
how are you doing it?

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 5:30 pm
Kitchen is Pesachdik and cooking started. Weekdays we eat on TV trays in the hall, after moving the microwave out of the kitchen and plugging it in in the hall. Shab we'll eat Pesachdik except Motzi in the hall, the way we do when Pesach starts on Motzash. No big deal. Glad our apt has a layout that allows this. Our previous apts didn't.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:00 pm
We're going away for Pesach on Sunday. I usually cook tons for Shabbos I can serve leftovers the following week. I have no idea how to cook a normal Shabbos in small quantities. So Friday night we're having soup and then a stir fry with veggies, chicken, and noodles. That will hopefully be finished entirely. Shabbos lunch we're having what my family calls "full meal soup," which has beans, cabbage, potatoes, and meat. I can freeze any leftovers of that.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:07 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I have a similar set up- I turned over my kitchen and set up a Chometz area in my dining room- I would totally plug in my chometz crockpot and put up a cholent but I don't see how I can do that with no sink....where am I soaking the beans? the barley? where am I washing my crockpot afterwards?
It just seems so much easier to make a pesach cholent at this point...
how are you doing it?

There’s a bathroom sink off the kitchen that I’ve been using this week for washing things .. also I have a water filter attached to my fridge so I take water from there or hot water from the urn plugged in on the folding table in the kitchen. I double line my crockpot so there’s very little to wash but I’ll probably put it in the dishwasher. Some people have a water backup into their kitchen sink from the dishwasher but I don’t have that so it’s fine to use.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:13 pm
I kashered my kitchen already. We have a second "chometz" kitchen downstairs where we've been eating since Sunday, and we will eat Shabbos meals there too. Last week I cooked doubles of kugel, ferfel, soup, and chulent. We will buy challa and fish. Simple Shabbos fare but covers the basics.

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:16 pm
Observing it.

zoom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
There’s a bathroom sink off the kitchen that I’ve been using this week for washing things .. also I have a water filter attached to my fridge so I take water from there or hot water from the urn plugged in on the folding table in the kitchen. I double line my crockpot so there’s very little to wash but I’ll probably put it in the dishwasher. Some people have a water backup into their kitchen sink from the dishwasher but I don’t have that so it’s fine to use.

What do you mean to double line the crockpot?

I use the crockpot bags, what else should I do?

I will also be washing it up in the bathroom (teeny weeny) sink, so want to make it as easy as poss.
Thanks.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:41 pm
zoom wrote:
What do you mean to double line the crockpot?

I use the crockpot bags, what else should I do?

I will also be washing it up in the bathroom (teeny weeny) sink, so want to make it as easy as poss.
Thanks.

I either use 2 bags (put some water between the bags) or a bag plus a large piece of parchment paper
I started doing this with my current crockpot which seems to have a very high temperature even on low and melts the bag if there’s only 1

zoom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:42 pm
Thank you!

Where do you put theparchment paper?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:43 pm
zoom wrote:
Thank you!

Where do you put theparchment paper?

Inside the crockpot liner

SYA

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:46 pm
Home Pesach with guests for the Seder and meals.
Kashered my oven and turned over my fridge (except one shelf) and freezer.
All food except challah and store bought dip will be pesachdik so it can be put back in the fridge.
Doing the counters on Sunday iyh.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

But we need to make pesach, and that takes time. For many people, turning over Monday is not sufficient time. It doesn't mean eating only pesach food. We eat chometz till the zman.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 6:49 pm
Eating freezer food on plastic plates. Only have to cook cholent and fish.
Eating in the dining room. After shabbos will vacuum and wash the floor there.
The entrance has a table, so I will clean that off and eat there after shabbos
Plan on cleaning the kitchen Sunday morning so can kasher Mon morning.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 7:08 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

This. regular Shabbos. Turn over on sunday .

SingALong

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:29 pm
I have a Pesach kitchen so already have a lot of the cooking and baking done.

Having regular Shabbos but eating in the kitchen on disposables. Cooked most but doing Some takeout. Dining room is already cleaned for Pesach. Will iyh clean kitchen Sunday, inside cabinets, fridge, etc. Sunday night is Shabbos leftovers, warmed in oven. Monday will kasher ovens, sinks, and cover counters. Will do all the last minute cooking Monday night, Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

If I wouldn’t have a Pesach kitchen I would have turned over Wednesday, cooked Pesachdik food for Shabbos, use disposables and bought small challah to eat outside.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:00 am
We'll be having Pesachdik meals on fine china in our dining room— except for challah, which will be on paper plates outside. Or in our breakfast room if it rains.

Usually we would not turn over the kitchen until Sunday but we are remodeling the kitchen. We just got new countertops today and the kitchen is Pesachdik now.

We will still eat chometz in the breakfast room for a few more days.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:07 am
Regular Shabbos food, made with disposables and eaten with disposables. Will use real utensils and wash one final dishwasher load motzai Shabbos.

Turning over Sunday.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:15 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
We'll be having Pesachdik meals on fine china in our dining room— except for challah, which will be on paper plates outside. Or in our breakfast room if it rains.

Usually we would not turn over the kitchen until Sunday but we are remodeling the kitchen. We just got new countertops today and the kitchen is Pesachdik now.

We will still eat chometz in the breakfast room for a few more days.

What’s a breakfast room? Dinette area?

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:31 am
I froze everything. This afternoon the whole Shabbos leaves the drawer in the freezer and gets popped into the oven. Cholent can't be frozen (afaik) so I'm making the oven cholent from bcp but with meat.
My oven has a Shabbos mode so everything will be left there.
Disposable dishes of course.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note