Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Making Pesach very last minute
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:13 pm
Hi! I'm not sure why im on here , I think it's to de-stress or something. I'm quite quite quite crushed. Due to circumstances way beyond my control, ( and really no humans control.. though it does look like humans choices have impacted us) we need to stay home for pesach last minute. I haven't been able to clean or shop yet due to the situation. Any tips or chizuk would be greatly appreciated

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:25 pm
Stick to Halacha! No cleaning what you won't use, what you can lock up.
Write a list of all cabinets/drawers/closets/areas in your house that needs to be cleaned out.
Remove chometz from obvious spots.
Take a cleaning lady (if possible), just go through the spots on your list quickly- remove, wipe, put back.
Shouldn't take long, shouldn't be overwhelming.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:29 pm
Your cleaning starts and ends with the kitchen. Vacuum the rest of the house. Clean the fridge and the freezer, self clean the oven, and scrub the counters. Cover them. Tape all the cupboards closed.

If you have Pesach dishes, get them out. If not, go and buy a lot of disposables.

Without knowing your family or your minhagim it hard to suggest menus. Make chicken soup with lots of chicken for the Seder. Serve the broth for the first course, and the chicken and vegetables from the soup for the main course. Add a potato kugel and salad and you're done. As long as you have ingreedirnts you can cook the rest on Yom Tov if necessary.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:32 pm
Remember, you are simply reliving the experience of the original Ivrim who also waited until the last minute.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:35 pm
I am so sorry you were blindsided with this. You can do this and we will cheer you on with chizuk. Please let us know how we can help you. Hashem should send you strength!

The halacha is not to own or eat chometz.
Close up whatever you won't be using on pesach and include them in your mechira sale. Including cabinets and dishwasher (and those items in there are not even yours).

Wash counters, sinks, table & chairs with detergent (spray and paper towels) and cover table and counters. Kasher sinks with boiling water.

Remove any visible food from the oven. Complete the self-cleaning cycle on high. That's the quickest way to get through kashering oven.

Wipe down your fridge & freezer.

Sweep up the house. That's enough. If you missed crumbs then they are not big enough to be considered chometz. If there's a chometz spot you can't get to, spray with detergent and that renders it not edible nor chometz.

P.S.
If there are drawers or bins of toys that you need for pesach and you expect there might be chometz in, just do a viable bedikah check and throw out any chometz you find. No washing or organizing.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:40 pm
Hatzlacha op. Hire help if you can. Don't go crazy with the cleaning.
I also just found out my inlaws can't have us due to a medical situation that came up but bh we have dishes etc as we planned to be home chal hamoed and we are doing very basics. It is what it is.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:46 pm
I’m staying home didn’t start anything. I will clean the kitchen thoroughly. The rest is just being vacuumed quickly. Will clean things like coat pockets and knapsacks. Will kasher and turn over on Monday and cook Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing fancy, proteins and sides. I buy some stuff. Will shop tonight for dry goods and freezer stuff for my tiny extra freezer in my garage. Fridge stuff on Monday.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 2:47 pm
If you have a store that takes orders and does delivery ir pickup, and you have a corner somewhere available, think about placing an order for non perishables. When theu come or someone picks them up, put them in the corner (I've used my own room) and leave them be. It lightens the shopping load later and spreads out the purchases a bit. And let friends help if they offer.

Hatzlachah to you.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:18 pm
https://jewishmom.com/2011/03/.....list/

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:26 pm
Take a huge deep breath and give yourself a validation
1. Self clean ovens.
2. Empty fridge. Spray and wipe interior
3. Tape cabinets closed
4. Vacuum under radiators
5. Buy a cheap set of shelves in Xmas tree shops or similar
6. Put your pesach chumras on a shelf
7. Start cooking

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:29 pm
I once read in a book about a question that was asked to a rav regarding pesach cleaning. I think it was something like this- the man’s wife just had a baby and she wasn’t able to clean the house for pesach - what should they do. The rav’s response was to the husband. He said the night of bedikas chometz he should take the vacuum cleaner and vacuum all over in every room and corner of the house. He should get rid of or lock up the chometz. That’s it. Pesach in an hour.
You don’t need to clean and kasher your oven. Just sell the chometz in the oven and tape it up. Kasher 2 burners and cook whatever you can in a few pots. Line the counter with heavy duty foil. Use disposables of course. Buy whatever you can. Cook simple- soup, fish.. a pot of potatoes and meat… buy yogurts, cheese and fruits… relax… you can do this. Pesach is not tomorrow. It will be fine but I’m sorry for your disappointment.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:31 pm
Im feeling bad.

This is how I usually make pesach and it is planned.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:38 pm
nothing to feel bad about
do what works for you and your family
aylor

seafood

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:39 pm
All great tips.

If you can't clean your oven, just cover it. Buy a large convection oven and two electric burners and a hot plate- I know a few people who cook their entire pesach this way. You can put the burners / hotplate on a shabbos clock over the 3 day yom tov. Hatzlacha!

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:41 pm
seafood wrote:
All great tips.

If you can't clean your oven, just cover it. Buy a large convection oven and two electric burners and a hot plate- I know a few people who cook their entire pesach this way. You can put the burners / hotplate on a shabbos clock over the 3 day yom tov. Hatzlacha!

Do people.clesn their oven if theyr selling it?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 3:55 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Im feeling bad.

This is how I usually make pesach and it is planned.

Haha me too but I don’t feel bad. I prefer living life with less stress.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 4:32 pm
Thank you all!!!!! I'm davening to HKBH thst we all get to pesach happy and kosher!!!! And I'd really greatly appreciate any Tefilos on our behalf!!! Despite the many odds. Forgot to mention I'm doing this with no husband or outside family help( or cleaning help as of yet, still trying to find) and still working next week as well as 2 children with special needs, 1 quite severely health challenged, and an already quite emotionally drained self beyond beyond( hence the need to have gone away for pesach which is not something I enjoy or want to do)

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 4:32 pm
When I was a teenager, my grandfather was niftar very suddenly and unexpectedly on 10 Nissan. I quickly learned how to kasher and clean everything my mother hadn't in our whole house by myself. I also cooked everything for 1st days. Don't go crazy with cooking and cleaning. Find out exactly what you need to do to make your house kasher l'Pesach (in other words: no crazy Spring cleaning!) If you can order some prepared food, definitely do that!

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 4:33 pm
Let’s keep our eye on the ball
Simchas Yom tov is an obligation
Chumras are not

dena613

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 4:38 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Do people.clesn their oven if theyr selling it?

Not necessary.
I do not clean my kitchen cabinets at all. The chometz in them is just sold.

It's a total chumra if you "don't sell" chometz.
The gook in your oven isn't chometz anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics