Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Real Hungarian Apple Compote
1  2  Next

seafood

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:37 pm
I'm looking for a recipe /technique for a real hungarian apple compote, the type that you would buy in satmar takeout. I make applesauce with cortland apples but it doesn't come out like that at all.

Does anyone have one?

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:03 pm
Cortland apples , very little water, a lot of sugar, and something to color it pink. Strawberry jello is perfect
Boil then simmer for 5-6 hours

real israeli

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:05 pm
Beets can color it pink pesach if you don’t use ingredients and peel your apples

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:09 pm
real israeli wrote:
Beets can color it pink pesach if you don’t use ingredients and peel your apples

Apples need to be peeled (and cored obviously) for this all year . Doesn’t come out right with the peels

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:17 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
Cortland apples , very little water, a lot of sugar, and something to color it pink. Strawberry jello is perfect
Boil then simmer for 5-6 hours
I'm sure jello is what our Hungarian grandmothers used in Der heim LOL

I also see recipes for Hungarian cakes that call for whip topping and shortening and it makes me wonder what they actually used instead.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:20 pm
I don't add sugar or water. Just apples. They release their own water and simmer on low for hours so they become deep pink and tart. I mix it to break up the big pieces and so the top and bottom change positions every so often.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:36 pm
My Hungarian grandmother only used apples and a bit of water.
I’m not sure what type of apples though, maybe golden delicious

But she also liked to keep it a light color, so it might taste different to what you’re looking for. But that’s how we all make it now.
I usually use Granny Smith apples or a mix of a few varieties depending on my mood Smile

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:37 pm
real israeli wrote:

Plums?

mom_13

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 11:41 pm
My grandmother used to do a huge pot of Cortlandt and golden delicious apples with no water or sugar, just a bottle of Grape juice.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:02 am
I use just cortland apples, no sugar, a little bit of water and cook on a low simmer overnight, about 6-8 hours.
No need to add anything for color, it turns a beautiful shade of pink/red on its own from cooking so long.

Very refreshing and delicious! Some like to add a bit of cinnamon. I personally don't.

Last edited by asmileaday on Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:04 am
Corland apples a little water that's it. Simmer for 6 hours

ynms

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 6:47 am
You can bake in the oven in a deep 9*13 pan covered with a few slits on the cover of the pan to releasethe steam. Make sure not to over load the pan since it could boil over. No pot to wash!

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 7:10 am
Add a mesh cooking bag with red grapes 🍇

losingweight

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 7:48 am
Whatever you do, don't add sugar. The natural sugar in the apples only gets released if there is nothing added. Just cook cortlands for very long with very little water on a low flame.

DustyDiamonds

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:33 am
Do you think I can make this today in a crock pot and cook on low in my crockpot over Shabbos? I won’t be able to mix it or add water, but if I suspect it’s burning, I could take the pot out.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:37 am
4 cups water
8 quart pot filled with cortland apples.

Peel apple, cut and put in pot. Fresh, don’t want apples to brown. Peel, cut pot and next.

I heat on medium flame, when it starts bubbling, I lower flame.

Mix pot so top apples go to bottom. I cook on low flame for an hour.

Shut flame, mix to get right consistency. Some apples completely breakdown, some stay chunks. Don’t want chunks too big.

yachnabobba

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:46 am
No jello
Add peeled quince 1 for every ten aples

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:50 am
DustyDiamonds wrote:
Do you think I can make this today in a crock pot and cook on low in my crockpot over Shabbos? I won’t be able to mix it or add water, but if I suspect it’s burning, I could take the pot out.

If your not planning to eat it on shabbos don't know if halacha allows that

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:16 am
can u use rome apples for compote? bought 4 cases so I certainly hope so.... also if u use so little water doesnt it become more like apple sauce and not compote?

asmileaday

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:25 am
amother Gladiolus wrote:
can u use rome apples for compote? bought 4 cases so I certainly hope so.... also if u use so little water doesnt it become more like apple sauce and not compote?

Yes one year there was no cortland to be found and the store told me Rome is similar. I used it and it was fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics