Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Fashion Blunder

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:52 pm
My mother in law generously decided to treat me to a designer handbag for a milestone occasion. I feel very grateful and I’m so lucky to have a generous mother in law. She went into a designer store and selected a designer bag that costed a ton of money.
She even sent me a pic- I thought it looked nice.
Here’s the problem- it’s a MEN bag. I didn’t know that some companies even produce bags for men. I know that it’s a men’s bag bec I looked it up online and there is a man model holding it and it only appears under the men tab.
I feel weird using a men’s bag. What should I do?
I’m scared that if I tell her she will be insulted. She liked it. On the other hand, she probably wants me to be happy.
Any advice ?

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:12 pm
If you cant tell its a mens bag by just looking at it, then you can still use it. Some bags can be for either gender and chances are people wont know which gender its for unless its very clearly male

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:28 pm
Who cares if the designer intended it for men? It's just a bag. You like it, so use it.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:51 pm
I feel that this is like the difference between men's and women's watches. There is no intrinsic difference between the two, and its basically a marketing ploy. The average male probably doesn't wear a pink watch decorated with flowers and butterflies, but nor do most adult women. A plain watch with a metallic or dark coloured strap and clear display might be marketed for men or women, but worn by both.

I actually asked about this once in seminary, and was explicitly told that it doesn't matter, and you could wear whichever you preferred. My logic would be that the same applies to bags. Just because it is marketed as a men's bag, there is no intrinsic difference, and anyone can use them.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 12:58 am
Men in today’s secular world are more feminine. If it has the functionality that you need and you find it attractive, then use it without another thought.
I’d find it weird for a man to use these types of bags.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 2:59 am
I really doubt it is intended for men.
it is a womens handbag
you like it and chose it
accept it graciously and use it well!
a lot of these marketing ploys are to attract attention and virtue signal
so they showed the womens bag with a man
nowadays I shouldn't be surprised
ignore it
and I bet you will get a gazillion compliments!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:33 am
Thanks everyone! I think im just going to keep it

CatLady

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:01 am
You're a woman and you're using the bag. Therefore, it's a woman's bag. Enjoy it!

Congresswoman

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:09 am
Fashion is ALL about wearing with confidence. Wear it proudly, don’t project insecurity, and it will be a fashion statement.

Fox

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 9:53 am
I can't resist weighing in on a handbag thread!

This is all about the marketing, not the bag itself. If you're a marketer for a luxury handbag company, one of your goals is to expand the pool of people who will pay top dollar for your product. If you make a product that would only be used by 51 percent of the population, it's a no-brainer to find a way to target than other 49 percent.

I'd bet a Louis Vuitton Empreinte Noire Mini-Sac Plat that your bag, OP, was not designed specifically for men. More likely, the marketing people came in and said, "Oh, that has a classic feel and a simple silhouette. Our men's collection is a little short, so let's put that in the men's group." Or perhaps they thought there were too many similar bags in their women's line but thought they could pitch this to men.

It's also true, as other posters have pointed out, that people who are into luxury handbags don't think of them as specifically gendered. True, it's unlikely that many men will be carrying a pink leather evening bag, but the range of larger bags, briefcases, totes, backpacks and whatnot are pretty unisex.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics