Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
True or false -Not using sink for 24 hrs prior to kashering?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:20 pm
So this is what I thought you have to do, but I was reading OUs guide, and it doesn't say that.

It says that ceramic sinks can't be kashered and shouldn't be used with hot water for 24 hours prior to being covered but it dont see it say that by the stainless steel sinks section?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:26 pm
What kind of sinks are you asking about?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What kind of sinks are you asking about?

Stainless steel.

I should just dm you My questions loll your so awesome

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:42 pm
Hot chametz!!
Yes

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:45 pm
Stainless sinks can be kashered. Don't use for hot chometz for 24 hrs before kashering — or ask your LOR.

Porcelain sinks cannot be kashered.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:47 pm
True.
Nothing hot can be put into sinks 24h prior to kashering.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:53 pm
Not just hot chometz, which sounds like a frum rock group, but anything hot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:16 pm
Ok I scrubbed my sinks!

Now - counters? Do they need to be off limits too?
I am planning on covering it with corrugated plastic?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:20 pm
If I'm using sink inserts, I still can't use my sink for 24h and need to pour boiling water over it?

ysydmom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 9:22 pm
Basically you need to scrub down sinks and counters not use sinks for 24 hours and then pour boiling water into and over sink once that is done wipe it down and then cover the counters and put in your sink inserts.

octopus

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 10:33 pm
You do not need sink insert if you are kashering. That's not necessary but many people extra machmir for pesach.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 3:02 am
If you use a sink insert, it is lchatchila to kasher with iruy (pouring boiling water) and not use sink for hot chametz 24 hrs prior.

Bdieved, you can skip the 24 hours and iruy and just use an insert in a scrubbed-clean sink.

If you want to use a sink without an insert, it needs to be metal (porcelain cannot be kashered). To kasher a metal sink, you need to use a combination of iruy/hagala and libun. Sink needs to have boiling water poured all over every surface (or filled with water and boiled with an immerser), and then all surface areas need to come in contact with a blowtorch or red-hot rock.

AYLOR for more details.

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:02 am
amother Indigo wrote:
If you use a sink insert, it is lchatchila to kasher with iruy (pouring boiling water) and not use sink for hot chametz 24 hrs prior.

Bdieved, you can skip the 24 hours and iruy and just use an insert in a scrubbed-clean sink.

If you want to use a sink without an insert, it needs to be metal (porcelain cannot be kashered). To kasher a metal sink, you need to use a combination of iruy/hagala and libun. Sink needs to have boiling water poured all over every surface (or filled with water and boiled with an immerser), and then all surface areas need to come in contact with a blowtorch or red-hot rock.

AYLOR for more details.

None of what you wrote is l'chatchilah. You added in a bunch of chumrahs.

If you are using an insert, no need to kasher. If you have a stainless steel faucet, that needs to be kashered. You need to not use the hot water for 24 hours and pour boiling water over it. Otherwise, cover your faucet, which I'm pretty sure is a chumrah too. Because nobody ever drinks straight from a faucet.

I'm not against chumrahs. I personally change the actual spout where the water comes out from but I know it's not halacha.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 1:57 pm
Reality wrote:
None of what you wrote is l'chatchilah. You added in a bunch of chumrahs.

If you are using an insert, no need to kasher. If you have a stainless steel faucet, that needs to be kashered. You need to not use the hot water for 24 hours and pour boiling water over it. Otherwise, cover your faucet, which I'm pretty sure is a chumrah too. Because nobody ever drinks straight from a faucet.

I'm not against chumrahs. I personally change the actual spout where the water comes out from but I know it's not halacha.

I wrote the exact instructions that our Rav gave us. He would not tell us to do a chumrah without specifying that it is one.

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 1:59 pm
Stainless steel. Dh doesn't let me use hot water for 24 hours prior.

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 2:01 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
I wrote the exact instructions that our Rav gave us. He would not tell us to do a chumrah without specifying that it is one.

There are a few chumrahs in your instructions.
I happen to do them, but they are not Halacha.

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 2:23 pm
amother Indigo wrote:

I'm sure you did.

This is why one shouldn't Rabbi shop. Every Rav has certain halachic chumrahs and kulahs. Nobody is strict or lenient on everything.

Clearly, your Rav is strict when it comes to kashering for Pesach and therefore he poskins you must do xyz. I or somebody else can ask my Rav and he is more lenient when it comes to kashering and not include xyz.

There are some bottom line things that everyone holds. You included some things that aren't universal that's all.

shoshana2

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 4:22 pm
False, you can use your sink just no hot water. Turn off the hot water under the sink for 24 hrs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics