Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
How are you not scared to leave on the hot plate for 3 days?
1  2  Next

rimon613

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:45 pm
How are you not scared to leave on the hot plate for a 3 day Yom Tov especially with little kids running around. I am so scared. Is there any hot plate that’s automatically turns on and off throughout the Chag so it won’t be on the whole night?

sub

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:50 pm
Use a plug in timer. Set the on off times. There are digital ones that give you versatility for days and time.

cholentfan1

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:12 am
Plug in timer. We have a 7 day digital one so we can adjust for the different days/nights. A basic one will allow you to have it come on the same time each day/night. We do this all year round for our hot plate on shabbos and yom tov. I would be too nervous leaving it on the whole time.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:20 am
Leaving a hot plate on even all shabbos is a fire hazard. We use a plug in shabbos timer.

I never knew there were 7 day ones though, maybe will invest in one of those for the future....

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 12:43 am
I definitely would not be comfortable leaving it on for three days. I live in Israel and it’s easy and cheap to get a timers. I use a timer every shabbos. I usually leave it on during all of our waking hours during the day because someone’s always up but I have a timer turn off before we go to bed. Never had a problem and it works great

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 1:31 am
rimon613 wrote:
How are you not scared to leave on the hot plate for a 3 day Yom Tov especially with little kids running around. I am so scared. Is there any hot plate that’s automatically turns on and off throughout the Chag so it won’t be on the whole night?

Have you never hear of a timer? In hebrew its actually called a shaone shabbat, shabbat timer. Our plata is NEVER left on more than a few hours at a time. Never over night. Very simple hack.

tinyspark

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 4:01 am
The cholent on Shabbos is on your hot plate and your timer to go on and off. Or you put things on on Shabbos day? It sounds like a good idea
I am just curious halachically?

tinyspark

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 4:02 am
Deleted sent twice by mistake

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:01 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Have you never hear of a timer? In hebrew its actually called a shaone shabbat,

100 years ago, literally, my grandmother had what was called a "Shabbos clock" to turn lights on and off. We didn't start calling them "timers" until they became widely used for other purposes.

L25

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:04 am
we use a timer. wondering about our crockpot though, don't want to leave it on for so long...

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:06 am
tinyspark wrote:
The cholent on Shabbos is on your hot plate and your timer to go on and off. Or you put things on on Shabbos day? It sounds like a good idea
I am just curious halachically?

We use a crock pot for cholent.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:25 am
L25 wrote:
we use a timer. wondering about our crockpot though, don't want to leave it on for so long...

A crockpot is safer to leave on for longer. I'll set it on a timer to be turned on Thursday evening till after shabbos ih.

ewwpeas20

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:34 am
[quote="shabbatiscoming"]
Quote:
Have you never hear of a timer?

There’s a much much nicer way to say this. Confused

ewwpeas20

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:39 am
rimon613 wrote:

Don’t worry! I have 2 under 2, and what we do is put the hot place on the plate above the stove which I’m sure is used for microwaves, and plug it in the cabinet, which has a lock, with a timer so little hands and a very curious climber won’t get to it. With hot hot foods I use a step stool to get food down safely without burning myself.

Although your idea sounds better Smile

bsy

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:50 am
We use Sternos and one flame on the stove

Blessing1

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 6:55 am
ewwpeas20 wrote:
Don’t worry! I have 2 under 2, and what we do is put the hot place on the plate above the stove which I’m sure is used for microwaves, and plug it in the cabinet, which has a lock, with a timer so little hands and a very curious climber won’t get to it. With hot hot foods I use a step stool to get food down safely without burning myself.

Although your idea sounds better Smile

You put the hotplate in a locked cabinet, or just the timer?? Hope I'm misunderstanding!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 9:25 am
ewwpeas20 wrote:
There’s a much much nicer way to say this. Confused

Huh? I was literally asking if she had never heard of a timer. I did not mean that in any rude or mean way. Not sure why you read into it that way. 🤦‍♀️

Java

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 10:58 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Huh? I was literally asking if she had never heard of a timer. I did not mean that in any rude or mean way. Not sure why you read into it that way. 🤦‍♀️

Nature of the internet
Everything comes off as snarkier
I read it as a little sarcastic as well

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Apr 04 2023, 11:54 pm
For Shabbos, if you leave your hot plate on a timer just know that liquids cant be left on the hot plate when its off because it will cool then reheat (cook) when its on. Bishul issues. Ask your LOR.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Apr 05 2023, 1:13 am
Hashem Yaazor wrote:
For Shabbos, if you leave your hot plate on a timer just know that liquids cant be left on the hot plate when its off because it will cool then reheat (cook) when its on. Bishul issues. Ask your LOR.

Do people leave brisket on for the whole shabbos? The only liquid thing is cholent pretty much. Get a crock pot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics