Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Non-academic seminaries for solid BY girls
1  2  3  Next

Cressel

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:32 pm
Our daughter has always been incredibly passionate about hashkafah and loves learning anything related to it. Her thirst for knowledge and her deep connection to her Yiddishkeit have been evident from a young age.

As DD is nearing the end of her high school years, she is now preparing to apply to seminary for the upcoming year. However, we have noticed that she faces challenges when it comes to textual learning. This has limited her options for seminary programs that may be a good fit for her academically.

Despite her struggles with traditional academic approaches, we believe that she would greatly benefit from a seminary program that nurtures her strong hashkafic interests and provides her with a supportive environment where she can continue to develop her connection to her Yiddishkeit.

We know some non-academic seminaries are often considered for girls who may not be as solid in their Yiddishkeit. However, we are looking for a seminary that can provide both the depth of hashkafic learning and is a place for girls who are good in their yiddishkeit.

We are looking for a seminary program that offers a curriculum that is more focused on hashkafah and Yiddishkeit rather than heavy textual learning. A program that fosters a warm and inclusive environment, encourages critical thinking, and provides opportunities for personal growth.

DD has a strong desire to understand the intricacies of her Yiddishkeit and is always eager to delve into Jewish philosophy, explore the teachings of our sages, and engage in meaningful discussions about our faith. However, we have noticed that she faces challenges when it comes to academic textual learning, which may limit her options for seminary.

We are looking for a seminary that can provide both the depth of hashkafic learning and is a place for girls who are good in their yiddishkeit.

Last edited by Cressel on Mon, Apr 17 2023, 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:35 pm
Ki Tov Seminary hands down. I was so impressed.

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 12:01 am
I second kitov. Sounds like what you desctibed

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 1:18 am
Kitov is special

Cressel

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 6:53 pm
Thanks so much everyone!! Anyone have any other suggestions? Any other seminary ideas so that she has at least a few place to apply?

Also, does anyone wanna expand on Kitov?

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 6:57 pm
Isn't Kitov heimish/chassidish?

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 7:40 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Isn't Kitov heimish/chassidish?

Some heimish. Some litvish. All walks of town BY style. Loved the diversity.

They had so much extra curriculum, unlike other seminaries , plays etc..

And Mrs Kitov makes each student feel like they're the only one. Unreal

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 7:58 pm
Ateres is supposed to have different academic levels

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 8:01 pm
Is it called kitov or is it known by another name?

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 8:07 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Is it called kitov or is it known by another name?

I know it as Kitov. Maybe Kitov sachra?

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 8:38 pm
I would look into Ateres. They have separate tracks for text-based classes so she can be on her own level, but then for hashkafah type things that aren't as textual the classes are combined differently so she can still be with the more thoughtful/philosophical girls.

Cressel

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:39 am
seeker wrote:
I would look into Ateres. They have separate tracks for text-based classes so she can be on her own level, but then for hashkafah type things that aren't as textual the classes are combined differently so she can still be with the more thoughtful/philosophical girls.

Thanks!
I heard Ateres is closing and the principal of Ateres is opening up Neimas this coming year.
Is that correct or was I misinformed?

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:41 am
Cressel68 wrote:
Thanks!
I heard Ateres is closing and the principal of Ateres is opening up Neimas this coming year.

I believe that was the original intention, but they have since decided to reopen Ateres and open Neimas as well.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 1:17 am
Cressel68 wrote:
Thanks!

Principal of Ateres is opening up Neimas yes but from what I heard Ateres is also still operating. I'm not sure whether or how things will change with the leadership shift but the tracking and mixing girls of different levels has always been a very core aspect of their program so I would expect that to stay. It's something you should ask about.

Cressel

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 11:37 am
Just found out that the new place called “Neimas” is going to be very academic and that Ateres is not opening in the end. (Spoke to someone who was going to send)

Does anyone have any other suggestions of places?

We very much appreciate any information on any seminaries that aren’t academic but are for very good girls who have high standards in Yiddishkeit

So far we have Kitov on our list. Anywhere else?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 11:49 am
Just curious- is your daughter okay with going on her own without any friends?
I was your daughter many years ago… it hurt me so much that I didn’t get into the seminaries my friends were easily accepted into. I didn’t want to go on my own to a random (new) place. I also knew it would have been a tremendous financial burden on my parents so at the end I stayed home and went to a half day seminary and worked the other half of the day. My decision definitely didn’t affect my shidduchim. These days many girls are looking for local seminary options and I think I will keep my daughters local too.
Would your daughter consider a local seminary with the promise of a trip to e”y during the year?

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 12:05 pm
Nitzos is a half day seminary in Flatbush, it was amazing for my daughter. But that’s if you don’t want to send to israel . Hatzlacha finding the right place for your daughter; she sounds like a wonderful girl

Cressel

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 12:22 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
Just curious- is your daughter okay with going on her own without any friends?
I was your daughter many years ago… it hurt me so much that I didn’t get into the seminaries my friends were easily accepted into. I didn’t want to go on my own to a random (new) place. I also knew it would have been a tremendous financial burden on my parents so at the end I stayed home and went to a half day seminary and worked the other half of the day. My decision definitely didn’t affect my shidduchim. These days many girls are looking for local seminary options and I think I will keep my daughters local too.
Would your daughter consider a local seminary with the promise of a trip to e”y during the year?

Thanks for your post! Definitely a good point!

We are perfectly fine with her staying local. The thing is that we are seeking a local place that is not academic and on DD’s standards. Migdal and Elyon are known to be pretty academic.

Bnos Binah is a wonderful place but we know from multiple girls who attended and from speaking to the head staff that they allow do unfiltered smartphones and devices for movies in the dorm. Which is fine for some girls, but not something my daughter is personally okay with.

Anyone have information on any other American seminaries that aren’t academic?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 12:29 pm
Cressel68 wrote:
Thanks for your post! Definitely a good point!

We are perfectly fine with her staying local. The thing is that we are seeking a local place that is not academic and on DD’s standards. Migdal and Elyon are known to be pretty academic.

Bnos Binah is a wonderful place but we know from multiple girls who attended and from speaking to the head staff that they allow do unfiltered smartphones and devices for movies in the dorm. Which is fine for some girls, but not something my daughter is personally okay with.

Anyone have information on any other American seminaries that aren’t academic?

Is there a half day option at migdal or any other place? That might be less academic if she goes part time.
I went to Bais Yaakov of boro park because that was the only half day option in a BY type school many years ago.
There has to be some other half day sem options these days…

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 12:40 pm
BYA or the new Seminar... I believe these may be officially academic but may accept a wider range of girls on the academic spectrum...
Keser Chaya may also be a good option.
There are also a few new ones that opened up this year, bnos shoshana, havineini etc, but you'll probably need to wait a couple of months to see what those are like
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info