Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby has a PFO and lips turn blue

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 5:16 pm
Was told baby had a Pfo at birth but no follow up was needed. When dc is cold I will see blue tinged lips. Today dc was not cold (wore valour pjs and a/c was off) and lips were blue.
Made appointment to a pediatric cardiologist.
What can I expect? What kind of tests will they do? Why would they tell me no follow up is needed if there could be issues? Advice needed please.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 6:35 pm
I had the same story with my dc with a vsd.
The cardiologist basically said it’s impossible that it’s the vsd causing the blue lips because the hole is too small. He did have an echocardiogram when he was a baby.
He’s perfectly fine and healthy now bh.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 8:06 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
I had the same story with my dc with a vsd.
The cardiologist basically said it’s impossible that it’s the vsd causing the blue lips because the hole is too small. He did have an echocardiogram when he was a baby.
He’s perfectly fine and healthy now bh.

Do you know what causes the blue lips and does your child still get them? When body temp is warm and cold?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Was told baby had a Pfo at birth but no follow up was needed. When dc is cold I will see blue tinged lips. Today dc was not cold (wore valour pjs and a/c was off) and lips were blue.
What can I expect? What kind of tests will they do? Why would they tell me no follow up is needed if there could be issues? Advice needed please.

Saw cardiologist today, seems PFO has bh closed on its own! However dc still gets blue lips. Cardiologist said it could be a sign of seizures (and there is a history in my family) so I’m waiting to see a neurologist.
What do I do til then? Should I get a pulse ox as recommended by my pediatrician and check if it might be a pulmonary issue?
Or just wait it out until I see neurologist?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Saw cardiologist today, seems PFO has bh closed on its own! However dc still gets blue lips. Cardiologist said it could be a sign of seizures (and there is a history in my family) so I’m waiting to see a neurologist.
What do I do til then? Should I get a pulse ox as recommended by my pediatrician and check if it might be a pulmonary issue?

If your pediatrician recommended getting a pulse ox, you should get one. This way you’ll know if your kid is perfusing using oxygen.
I hope you get answers soon, sounds very stressful!

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

OP, please follow the advice of your pediatrician over that of strangers who are likely not pediatricians on this website.

I am so sorry you are going through this, it sounds so stressful, and the waiting is awful. You can totally get a 2nd opinion, most insurance companies cover that too. You can see an internist, another pediatrician, a family doctor, and probably don't need a referral for any of those.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 2:09 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....10099

cbsp

Post Fri, Apr 28 2023, 3:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

A pulse ox is easy to get. You can get one from Amazon that can connect to an app and keep track of the results. This wouldn't be something that stays attached to the baby but would be helpful for spot checks and certainly can be used when you see the blue lips. We used our baby's thumb, middle finger, or even big toe for taking the pulse ox.

This can help you monitor and see if there's a need to try to see the neurologist sooner or if maybe something else is going on...

Refuah sheleima!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics