Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning leather Matzah cover

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:16 pm
How do you clean the inner fabric layers in the matzah tash if the cover is leather? And also the outer piping is braided satiny fabric. I sprayed and wiped down the leather beautifully but not sure about the rest.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 5:25 pm
You can't, unless you're willing to unstitch the fabric, launder it, and sew it back on. (And it'll probably shrink.)

You could bring the item to a dry cleaner specializing in leather, but dry cleaning is expensive and the solvents are toxic. You really don't want to dry clean anything that will touch your food. In theory the solvent evaporates, but solvent residue clings to the material for some time. The proof is in the smelling: freshly dry-cleaned clothes reek of solvent and stay that way unless they're allowed to air out for a while.

The best you can do--and IDK how it will affect the leather--is take a clean cloth barely dampened with vinegar or vodka and wipe down the fabric. It's not great, I wouldn't consider the lining truly clean, but it may remove some of the surface grease. Maybe. If the matzah cover is leatherette and not real leather, there is no risk in doing this. If it's genuine leather, be careful not to soak the lining but keep it as dry as you can during the process.

As an alternative, sprinkle a heavy layer of potato starch all over the lining. Let it sit for as long as you can stand it, then vacuum away the starch. Again, I wouldn't consider this truly cleaning the fabric, but it will remove dust and superficial grease.

IDK who thought that creating leather objects to be used with food would be a good idea.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:26 pm
1. Turn it inside out, and take a small shmatta towel and dry cleaning toothbrush to clean out all the crumbs from the corners.
2. Call the company you bought the cover from, and ask them for care instructions. You never know, maybe it's a washable pleather.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:27 pm
I vacuum it

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:29 pm
Is it cheap fake leather. If yes it is washable.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:30 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I vacuum it

It sounds like a good idea but are you OK with putting matzah in it after the vacuum cleaner that touches all the dirt has been inside it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry