Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Rhodes Bake n serve dinner rolls
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:43 pm
Just heard about these...
Can you share what you use this dough for successfully other than dinner rolls?
Thanks

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:48 pm
I've used the loaves of dough for challah. I braid, egg, and top them and bake. I've found I like them more than the rolls, but I have just plopped some rolls in a pan to bake them into a pull apart challah too.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:48 pm
You might also be able to make rugelach with them.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 12:51 pm
Great for donuts or donut holes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:00 pm
notinnjmommy - you mean the white bread dough that comes 5ct?

How many Challahs do you get per package?
Do you first let rise?

Can you walk me through how you make the Challah from these?
Thank you so much!!

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:03 pm
I’ve made cinnamon buns and chocolate buns with these. The one I use comes in a bag with a lot of small balls, maybe 32?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:05 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I’ve made cinnamon buns and chocolate buns with these. The one I use comes in a bag with a lot of small balls, maybe 32?

thanks - those are the one I was originally asking about, but I'd love to hear about the other kind too.

I cant get over the price and with no issue of Pas Yisroel because you are baking them yourself (and right now this time of year no concern of Yoshon issues either...)

Keep the ideas coming!

amother
OP

Boca00 wrote:

defrost, then make into buns and then rise?
thanks!

watergirl

Pizza bread! Put the rolls in attend, cover them, let them rise for a few hours. Cover in pizza sauce, then top with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered at 425 until done. OMG SO GOOD.

Monkey bread - cover and let rise a few hours. Brush melted butter/margarine over the top, sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar or cinnamon, sugar, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips. Bake at 350.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:19 pm
Boca00 wrote:

Does that mean they are hamotzi? Same question for doughnuts.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
notinnjmommy - you mean the white bread dough that comes 5ct?

How many Challahs do you get per package?
Do you first let rise?

Can you walk me through how you make the Challah from these?
Thank you so much!!

Yes I usually find it in 3 or 5 ct. I take them out and have them at room temp for 6-7 hours OR in the fridge for 10-12 hours, let them thaw until not hard, shape, egg, top as desired. Bake at the indicated temp. I suppose I let it rise again after shaping for about 15-20 min while the oven is preheating. I bake for ~25 min (if it's a full or half loaf) then rotate/turn and bake another 10-15. Basically until golden on top and bottom. Shorter time if it's rolls. Remove from oven and cool on racks off of sheets/out of pans.

I do 1 lb of dough (which is 1 of the frozen loaves) per challah, generally. I make 1 lb loaves, sometimes half lb loaves, and sometimes 1 lb pull-aparts made of knots (I divide into ~6 and make knots, put in a pan, etc.)

kenz

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:23 pm
Where can you buy these in Brooklyn?

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks - those are the one I was originally asking about, but I'd love to hear about the other kind too.

I cant get over the price and with no issue of Pas Yisroel because you are baking them yourself (and right now this time of year no concern of Yoshon issues either...)

Keep the ideas coming!

Yes, I love them! I use them for challah all the time too, either plain or with different toppings. I’ve also made donut holes with icing with this dough which came out amazing.

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
defrost, then make into buns and then rise?
thanks!

I defrosted for a couple of hours until it doubled in size. Each ball was rolled out and filled to make one bun, and I put several buns in a round pan. Top with vanilla glaze.
I used chocolate spread for the chocolate buns.

It baked for a long time and I ended up flipping and baking longer so the bottom wouldn’t be gooey.

bwaybabe85

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:27 pm
I use them to make pull a part challah. I put a few in a square or round tin, let them rise, put on egg wash and bake.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:28 pm
Ive made pull apart challah super easy and very pretty
I do it in a disposable bundt/tube pan
While the rolls are still frozen I place them vertically in the pan, I think 12 fit
I spray plastic wrap and cover
Let it defrost and rise about 5 hrs.
Then bake
It makes a very pretty fluted flower

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:32 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Does that mean they are hamotzi? Same question for doughnuts.

I know these things have different opinions, depending on if you are Sephardi or Ashkenazi, how much filling you used, what you plan to eat it for (meal or snack), and for donuts- if they were baked or fried. Sorry I don’t have an easy answer. It’s probably best to ask your Rav to be sure.

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 1:33 pm
kenz wrote:
Where can you buy these in Brooklyn?

I don’t know about Brooklyn specifically but they are usually available at Walmart or Target.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:39 pm
thank you!!!
so many good ideas!!!

kenz

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 2:55 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I don’t know about Brooklyn specifically but they are usually available at Walmart or Target.

Thanks for responding! We don't have a Walmart and I wasn't able to find them at Target. I guess I will keep trying.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen