Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Kosher food finds at non-Jewish supermarkets
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 3:28 pm
Took me too many years to discover Rhodes Rolls and now I use them all the time!
Here are some other things we like, please add cool/yummy things you find at stores like Walmart, Target, etc..

Superpretzels hot pretzels
Fleishmans cornbread mix
Duncan Hines simple mornings muffin mix (I like to sub the blueberries for chocolate chips) and other flavors
Kind bars
Quaker Oatmeal cups
Lenders bagels
Gardein soy products (check for hechsher, not all are kosher)
Friedas Soyrizo
Pepperidge farms puff pastry

Note: check everything for hechsher
Edited to add more products as I remembered them

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 3:39 pm
Love those things too. My local kosher grocery actually carries most of those, but more expensive than from regular grocery stores.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 3:52 pm
Duncan Hines frosting, Pillsbury frosting.

Along with Duncan Hines cake mixes, these are YUM.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:09 pm
Adding more..

Honey bunches of oats granola
Zen Chocolate almond pudding (pareve)
Dole açaí boll (saw this on another thread and will try it out!)
Near East couscous

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:12 pm
Do kosher stores near you all really not carry any of these things?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:14 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Do kosher stores near you all really not carry any of these things?

They carry some of it but not all. And it’s much cheaper in a chain store.

farmom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:40 pm
Pizza dough
Walmart and I think trader Joe's has this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:44 pm
farmom wrote:
Pizza dough

Cool! What brand? Is it pareve?

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:49 pm
farmom wrote:
Pizza dough

aldi also has - pareve for like 1.79

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 5:01 pm
So delicious pareve ice cream

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 5:35 pm
I do 99% of my shopping between Costco, ShopRite, and Aldi’s.

Much of the stuff is CY/PY. I only use the Kosher store for meat/poultry-and much of it I buy at Costco/ShopRite. Oh, I do find the high gluten flour is less expensive on sale at the kosher store so I stick up there.

Costco has CY cheese, empire chicken, Solomon’s meat. ShopRite has a full butcher section under the RCBC, along with A&H packages pastrami/corn beef.

chams

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 6:02 pm
In Aldi, Is it frozen pizza dough? Or already made base if so is it pas yisroel
Shopmiami49 wrote:
aldi also has - pareve for like 1.79

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:00 pm
I'm scratching my head here. Until recently when a relative moved to Lakewood I never saw an all- kosher supermarket. We had a little shomer shabbos convenience-type store that closed years ago but our supermarkets are all regular supermarkets with a small kosher aisle featuring jarred gefilte fish, borsht, and Manischewitz soup mixes. National brands make up 95% of our grocery basket. You guys only discovered now that there are regional and national brands with good hechsherim?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:02 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I'm scratching my head here. Until recently when a relative moved to Lakewood I never saw an all- kosher supermarket. We had a little shomer shabbos convenience-type store that closed years ago but our supermarkets are all regular supermarkets with a small kosher aisle featuring jarred gefilte fish, borsht, and Manischewitz soup mixes. National brands make up 95% of our grocery basket. You guys only discovered now that there are regional and national brands with good hechsherim?

Lol same. Like what is this thread?? I'm rolling. I do all my shopping at Costco, trader joes, and shoprite with the occasional meat order from a kosher store. Like....wut??? Should I list all the products available??

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:04 pm
chams wrote:
In Aldi, Is it frozen pizza dough? Or already made base if so is it pas yisroel

It’s in the fridge section - raw

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:06 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:

Lol I'm rofl at this thread! I live oot in a community that only recently acquired a fully stocked (exorbitantly priced) grocery store. Of course we shop at regular supermarkets! That's the beauty of hechsherim such as OU, you check the package to see if it's kosher.

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
It’s in the fridge section - raw

I think only some locations have the hechsher on it at Aldi. You have to check.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 7:17 pm
I lived in town and shopped at the local large Jewish supermarkets until recently. Walmart and Target and the like were too far to be practical, and Instacart didn’t exist.

Now I moved OOT and the kosher store doesn’t carry much, and it’s expensive. I’m trying to order through Instacart from local grocery stores and I’m looking for ideas of what I can get there.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 10:28 pm
There's "Trader Joe's Kosher Finds" on Instagram. You can also do a search for kosher food on the store's website, although some of the foods shown may not be kosher.
I grew up OOT. Although the supermarket carried kosher poultry, maybe cheaper, my mother insisted on supporting the kosher meat store. Some things mean more than saving a few bucks.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 4:51 am
amother OP wrote:
I lived in town and shopped at the local large Jewish supermarkets until recently. Walmart and Target and the like were too far to be practical, and Instacart didn’t exist.

Now I moved OOT and the kosher store doesn’t carry much, and it’s expensive. I’m trying to order through Instacart from local grocery stores and I’m looking for ideas of what I can get there.

I would recommend that you go in person a couple of times to see what's available
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics