Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teen son's number coming up borderline prediabetic
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:53 am
Doctor isn't super concerned, said to retest in a few months, but what should I do until then?
Changing his whole diet doesn't seem realistic, anyone have experience or wise advice?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:53 am
just to add - I do think he would be able to make a few small changes - if there would be something specific to change that would be helpful.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:36 am
The big thing for me for getting my numbers back on track was pairing all sugar and carbs with protein/fat. Work on getting more protein into his diet

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:50 am
Exercise

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:52 am
Is your son overweight?

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 7:51 am
Exercise and changes in diet can help.

Just adding, that I've been pre-diabetic since my early twenties, and I'm now in my late forties with no change in the numbers. My doctor says to keep an eye on it, but if its just staying the same he isn't worried.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:14 am
he's tall and not skinny, but I wouldnt say he's overweight

GiGichai

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:33 am
Test for antibodies for type 1 diabetes. This is the age where some people are diagnosed with type 1. (No cure). If you can figure it out before it becomes an emergency situation, it would be better for all involved.
There are 5 antibodies the doctor can test for plus c peptide done with glucose together after having eaten will tell you if pancreas is producing insulin.
Glutamic acid decarboxylase 65 antibody
ZnT8 transporter antibody (note this is NOT a zinc level)
IA-2 antibody (also known and islet cell antibody or ICA 512 antibody)
Insulin Autoantibody
C peptide
Hemoglobin A1c

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:23 am
My 12 year old son is a skinny pickle and he also just tested borderline. His diet is that of a 12 year old in a frum yeshiva that piles them on with sugary drinks and treats as a reward. I wish the schools wouldn't do that, but I can't change them for one kid.

He is afraid of having diabetes and having to inject insulin so is trying somewhat not to eat every candy he gets or to save some and not finish the whole pack in one day. He also knows to make healthier choices and opt for more veggies less starch. It's extremely difficult for him but he is taking those teeny weeny steps. He is very sporty so exercises a ton, especially as the weather gets warmer, I'm hoping next time we check his number will have gone down.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:25 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
The big thing for me for getting my numbers back on track was pairing all sugar and carbs with protein/fat. Work on getting more protein into his diet

This. In addition to that do some kind of scheduling with meal-snack-meal-snack every two hours about, keeps the levels stable.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:24 am
Reduce/avoid sweet beverages and drink mostly water

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:45 am
What came up borderline? His A1C? What was it?

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:52 am
Supplements that can help with blood sugar regulation:
Magnesium
B complex
Thiamine
Adrenal cocktail/electrolytes
Ceylon cinnamon
Berberine
Inositol
Chromium
Vanadium
Phosphatidylserine

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:01 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
My 12 year old son is a skinny pickle and he also just tested borderline. His diet is that of a 12 year old in a frum yeshiva that piles them on with sugary drinks and treats as a reward. I wish the schools wouldn't do that, but I can't change them for one kid.

He is afraid of having diabetes and having to inject insulin so is trying somewhat not to eat every candy he gets or to save some and not finish the whole pack in one day. He also knows to make healthier choices and opt for more veggies less starch. It's extremely difficult for him but he is taking those teeny weeny steps. He is very sporty so exercises a ton, especially as the weather gets warmer, I'm hoping next time we check his number will have gone down.

This is where I would look into type 1 but I’m not a doctor…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:32 am

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Supplements that can help with blood sugar regulation:
Magnesium
B complex
Thiamine
Adrenal cocktail/electrolytes
Ceylon cinnamon
Berberine
Inositol
Chromium
Vanadium
Phosphatidylserine

Wow, should I start with everything at once, or is it better to start one at a time, in which order?
how do you know all this, cool.

GiGichai

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:00 pm
5.7 is high. Please do the bloodwork. It is no fun and also dangerous to be diagnosed type 1 in dka (like my son was).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:04 pm
5.6 is still considered normal
5.7 is one point over the line to prediabetes
what would be other signs of concern?

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
Wow, should I start with everything at once, or is it better to start one at a time, in which order?
how do you know all this, cool.
Always better to start one at a time.
Adrenal cocktails, magnesium, methyl b complex and Thiamine is a good foundation. Then I would add in some of the others, but probably not all? Unless you feel you need everything. This is also not a replacement for good, clean diet (inflammation and gut dysbiosis contribute directly to development of insulin resistance) and always pair carbs with fats and proteins.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:15 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Always better to start one at a time.
Adrenal cocktails, magnesium, methyl b complex and Thiamine is a good foundation. Then I would add in some of the others, but probably not all? Unless you feel you need everything. This is also not a replacement for good, clean diet (inflammation and gut dysbiosis contribute directly to development of insulin resistance) and always pair carbs with fats and proteins.

Oh my, this is like a foreign language to me. How do I begin????????????
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics