Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Desperately need a school bergen county ADHD
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:09 am
Which of the many schools in or around bergen county would be willing to take a boy with ADHD? Lower elementary age.
He needs a school for the coming year.

gingleale

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:14 am
All the mo schools have kids with ADHD. You need to call around and see which one is willing to handle your son's specific needs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:21 am
gingleale wrote:
All the mo schools have kids with ADHD. You need to call around and see which one is willing to handle your son's specific needs.

Thank you. Having a hard time. So was looking if anyone knows which ones are the most likely to be willing to work with him and where he's likely to do best in the environment. Otherwise I will continue to just try them all.

gingleale

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:25 am
Where is your child in school now? I would start by calling the ones that are more hashkafically aligned with your family and see if they even have a spot available for your child's grade. Many schools are pretty full.

bwaybabe85

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:30 am
We have 2 boys with ADHD at RYNJ.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:32 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
We have 2 boys with ADHD at RYNJ.

Thank you, do they give individual attention at all? Being that it's a larger school?

bwaybabe85

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 10:50 am
Yes, lots of individual attention.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:01 am
Going to be honest, depending on the extent of the issues, none of the BC schools are really able to handle it. They'll tell you they can, and it's true to an extent, but you'll be needing to arrange a lot of extra support and they will be very quick to tell you what isn't working without putting much effort into doing more to make it work, and they'llbe quick to tell you to look into Sinai. That said, I think RYNJ and Yavneh are the best of the bunch for this, so that's where you should look first.

jj1236

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:09 am
Just saying RYNJ and Yavneh are very different hashgafically so just look into both of them

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:14 am
amother Diamond wrote:
Going to be honest, depending on the extent of the issues, none of the BC schools are really able to handle it. They'll tell you they can, and it's true to an extent, but you'll be needing to arrange a lot of extra support and they will be very quick to tell you what isn't working without putting much effort into doing more to make it work, and they'llbe quick to tell you to look into Sinai. That said, I think RYNJ and Yavneh are the best of the bunch for this, so that's where you should look first.

Thank you for this info. Very helpful

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:36 am
amother Diamond wrote:

Do you know of anything else, within driving distance?

bwaybabe85

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:42 am
You can check out Noam too.

I agree with amother diamond about arranging extra support. We’ve been required to put our boys in therapy, social skills groups, etc and we’re in frequent contact with our developmental behavioral pediatrician to tweak meds.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:45 am
bwaybabe85 wrote:
You can check out Noam too.

I agree with amother diamond about arranging extra support. We’ve been required to put our boys in therapy, social skills groups, etc and we’re in frequent contact with our developmental behavioral pediatrician to tweak meds.

Did the school require the meds or was that your choice ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 11:59 am
jj1236 wrote:
Just saying RYNJ and Yavneh are very different hashgafically so just look into both of them

What type is yavneh?

bwaybabe85

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:01 pm
We had one on meds already. The other one we jumped to put on when he started having difficulties, knowing how much it helped our first. Since it was our choice, I don’t know if they would have required it, but I would say that they are pro-medicine.

bwaybabe85

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:01 pm
RYNJ is RWMO. Yavneh is LWMO.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:02 pm
BPY is great with my son with ADHD.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:07 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
BPY is great with my son with ADHD.

They speak Hebrew in class, correct? My child doesn't speak Hebrew, would that be a problem? How are the class sizes?

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
They speak Hebrew in class, correct? My child doesn't speak Hebrew, would that be a problem? How are the class sizes?

What grade is your son?
The kids learn Ivrit b’Ivrit, but very few are native speakers and speak Hebrew at home.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:53 pm
No school will outright say the M word, but they can hint strongly enough that you know they would definitely like you to think along those lines.

I will say, as someone with multiple adhd kids, I am mostly happy with their school, but also kind of salty about how the adhd stuff was handled because it was frustrating and I felt the school could have done more on their end. In my case also, my kids are extremely bright, they don't have any learning issues, and the school almost didn't know what to do with that. They had all this help available for kids struggling to learn, but not for bright kids who struggle with executive functioning and such.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics