Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Best baked chicken cutlet -“ schnitzel “ recipe
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:27 pm
Mine came out really gummy and chewy lately.

Usually I dip in eggs and spices then I coat in crumbs

I’m using non frozen chicken cutlets.

Anyone with a yummy recipe. I love it when it’s crispy and then the kids think it’s fried.

mom!

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:29 pm
I like these

https://betweencarpools.com/se.....tzel/

Ingredients
1 ½ lbs chicken cutlets
For the wet dredge:
3 eggs
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoons mustard
For the crumbs:
1 ½ cups homestyle bread crumbs
¼ cup sesame seeds
1 tablespoon paprika
¼ cup olive oil

Instructions
Combine the wet dredge ingredients. If time allows, marinate the chicken cutlets in the wet dredge for up to 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 420⁰F. Line a baking sheet.
Combine crumb ingredients. Bread the cutlets in the crumbs. Line up chicken on a prepared baking sheet.
Spray with oil spray and bake for 15 minutes. Turn schnitzel to other side and bake another 10 minutes or so, until nice and crispy.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 2:34 pm
One way to get it crispy is to use a grid so that the under side cooks as well as the top.

Have you tried changing around what you use for crumbs - panko creates a crispier crust but you can also experiment with pretzels for example.

These are nuggets but very crispy and kid friendly

Cornflake Chicken Nuggets With Sweet Potato Chips and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

Excerpt From: Jenny Tschiesche, and Liz Franklin - Sheet Pan Dinners

SERVES 4

One of my children has a friend who really prefers classic children’s foods to a range of adult flavours so when she comes round I tend to modify our recipes a little. These nuggets were, according to her, ‘the best nuggets I have ever tasted’. I am taking that as a compliment!

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1-cm/½-in. thick chips/fries
1 teaspoon olive oil
¾ teaspoon sea salt
120 g/5 cups cornflakes
1 egg
125 ml/½ cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into 4 x 2-cm/1½ x ¾-in. nuggets
16 cherry tomatoes on the vine

Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F) Gas 6.
Put the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan with sides, drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle over ½ teaspoon salt. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, grind the cornflakes in a food processor to fine crumbs. Alternatively, put the cornflakes in a freezer bag, close the bag tightly and bash the cornflakes with a rolling pin. Place in a bowl.

In another small bowl, whisk the egg, add the milk, arrowroot, garlic salt and ¼ teaspoon salt.

Dip the chicken nuggets into the egg mixture, then into the cornflakes to cover and put onto a separate sheet pan. Put the chicken nuggets in the oven with the potatoes for the last 10 minutes of baking. Add the tomatoes to the sweet potato sheet pan for the last 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:19 pm
I make the between carpools recipe. I bake it at 425 for 20-22 minutes and it gets pretty crispy.

Roseflower

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:51 pm
Dip cutlets in equal parts of duck sauce and mayo. Make sure it's all coated.
Cover with crushed cornflakes.
Spray oil on cutlets.
Bake on 350 till golden.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 3:54 pm
Haven’t tried it but I heard that using real baking sheets, not disposable, helps.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 4:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
One way to get it crispy is to use a grid so that the under side cooks as well as the top.

Have you tried changing around what you use for crumbs - panko creates a crispier crust but you can also experiment with pretzels for example.

These are nuggets but very crispy and kid friendly

Cornflake Chicken Nuggets With Sweet Potato Chips and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

Excerpt From: Jenny Tschiesche, and Liz Franklin - Sheet Pan Dinners

SERVES 4

One of my children has a friend who really prefers classic children’s foods to a range of adult flavours so when she comes round I tend to modify our recipes a little. These nuggets were, according to her, ‘the best nuggets I have ever tasted’. I am taking that as a compliment!

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1-cm/½-in. thick chips/fries
1 teaspoon olive oil
¾ teaspoon sea salt
120 g/5 cups cornflakes
1 egg
125 ml/½ cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped into 4 x 2-cm/1½ x ¾-in. nuggets
16 cherry tomatoes on the vine

Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F) Gas 6.
Put the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan with sides, drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle over ½ teaspoon salt. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, grind the cornflakes in a food processor to fine crumbs. Alternatively, put the cornflakes in a freezer bag, close the bag tightly and bash the cornflakes with a rolling pin. Place in a bowl.

In another small bowl, whisk the egg, add the milk, arrowroot, garlic salt and ¼ teaspoon salt.

Dip the chicken nuggets into the egg mixture, then into the cornflakes to cover and put onto a separate sheet pan. Put the chicken nuggets in the oven with the potatoes for the last 10 minutes of baking. Add the tomatoes to the sweet potato sheet pan for the last 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Add chicken for last 10 minutes? This can't be right.
I've noticed that recipes for chicken fingers/nuggets/Shnitzel tend to underestimate the baking time these need. Certainly if you prefer them really browned like my kids.
10 min (even 20) will give you half baked pale yellow nuggets.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:15 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Add chicken for last 10 minutes? This can't be right.
I've noticed that recipes for chicken fingers/nuggets/Shnitzel tend to underestimate the baking time these need. Certainly if you prefer them really browned like my kids.
10 min (even 20) will give you half baked pale yellow nuggets.

These are small nuggets so they cook very quickly with a 400 degree oven. Chicken is typically cooked at 350

But certainly adjust cooking time to whatever works - even ovens can have different actual temperatures if you haven't calibrated.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:27 pm
Easiest baked recipe I do that my kids love is mayo slathered on the chicken, with spices, then coated in breadcrumbs. I find golden breadcrumbs, or one of the flavored mixes of breadcrumbs works the best for baked as it has a good color, otherwise it usually looks anemic. The mayo helps keep the chicken really moist and soft.
Another way to keep it moist and soft is to leave the chicken in lemon juice for a little while before prepping and cooking.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 5:28 pm
I use my regular recipe whether I bake it or fry it.
Flour, flour egg, crumbs.

The trick to baking at so it looks like it's fried is to put generous oil and bake on high. I bake on 450. Sometimes I flip it in between but I don't. Usually. My kids love it this way

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:10 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I use my regular recipe whether I bake it or fry it.
Flour, flour egg, crumbs.

The trick to baking at so it looks like it's fried is to put generous oil and bake on high. I bake on 450. Sometimes I flip it in between but I don't. Usually. My kids love it this way

Yummy how long do you bake it for . Why does it need flour? Doesn’t it get too thick ?

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:59 pm
18 minute cutlets.
Easy and moist

Mix 1 cup crumbs (pretzel or cornflakes)
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp honey
Parsley flakes
Garlic powder, salt.

Add thin cutlets and mix well. Place on cookie sheet.
Bake for 18-20 min on 375.

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 7:05 pm
Many years ago I saw this recipe in the binah magazine and I’ve been making it ever since.

Dip cutlets in mayonnaise
Coat with flavored corn flake crumbs
Spray pan and spray cutlets
This can be baked or fried

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 7:23 pm
mom! wrote:
I like these

https://betweencarpools.com/se.....tzel/

I make this too. Great recipe and hit all around.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:25 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Many years ago I saw this recipe in the binah magazine and I’ve been making it ever since.

Dip cutlets in mayonnaise
Coat with flavored corn flake crumbs
Spray pan and spray cutlets
This can be baked or fried

This is how I do it, 425 for 25 min, flipping after 15 if I'm not lazy.

I don't understand how anyone has cooked chicken on 375 for less than 20 min. Unless directly on metal?

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:28 pm
I sprat the pan, put the cutlets in and spray cutlets. Then put them in the air fryer.

a1b2

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:28 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Haven’t tried it but I heard that using real baking sheets, not disposable, helps.

game changer!

gr82no

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:33 pm
Dip chicken in eggs then breadcrumbs.
Put it on aluminum foil in a pan. Spray the tops generously with oil.
Bake at 425 for about ten minutes. Flip spray with oil and bake for about ten more minutes.

Next time I will do it on a rack and I think it will be crispier

Frummommy138

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 8:42 pm
We like either one of these 2 recipes.

Dip cutlets in mixture of Mayonnaise, Ketcheup and bit of BBQ Sauce
Then coat with crushed potato chips, or panko corn flakes crumbs (larger pieces, Taanug started selling lately or crush regular corn flakes)
Thread on skwerer and put on rim of disposable baking pan. Bake on 350 about 20-25 min.

Or this recipe is a favorite around here.
https://betweencarpools.com/ne.....tzel/

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 9:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yummy how long do you bake it for . Why does it need flour? Doesn’t it get too thick ?

The flour and eggs make a stickier coating for the crumbs. (I use whole wheat crumbs I spice up myself)
I found only egg made everything slide off .

I bake for like 15-20 minutes till crispy. Super easy. I bake on parchment paper so easy cleanup also.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey