Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Delmonico Roast with Balsamic Onion Petals

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 10:03 am
This turned out quite well - the onion and meat combo was delicious. Easy to prep and cook. Since the recipe actually needs to be cooled, sliced and then reheated in the sauce, it really is perfect for a make ahead or freezable dish.

The author provides two cooking methods depending on how you like your meat - I braised it instead of roasting it for a softer texture. ETA - The technique of cooking ahead - slicing and then reheating the slices in the sauce is one that I have used in some brisket recipes with excellent results

She notes that it is freezable and I would probably go for the braising method if I was freezing it as braises tend to stand up to freezing better.

Her notes indicate that you can use brick, French or square roast

Delmonico Roast with Balsamic Onion Petals

Excerpt From: Chanie Apfelbaum - Totally Kosher

Serves 6

This recipe was inspired by a fabulous balsamic onion jam that a friend gifted me. Its sweet and acidic flavors paired wonderfully with steak and good-quality Dijon, so I used the flavor profile as inspiration for this roast, which you can braise for a soft, buttery bite or roast for that chewy medium-rare texture.

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
3 garlic cloves, minced
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1½ teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper, divided
1 (3-pound) Delmonico roast (see Note)
3 large red onions, quartered
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
¼ cup dry red wine
¼ cup balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 450°F.

In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the mustard, rosemary, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 teaspoon of the pepper. Smear the mixture all over the roast and set it in a Dutch oven. Let it come to room temperature for 1 hour.

To braise (for a soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture): Scatter the onions around the roast. Drizzle the onions with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Roast, uncovered, for 25 minutes, until the meat takes on some color.

Remove the pan from the oven. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the onions and add the red wine and vinegar. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F. Cover the pan and bake for 2 hours, until fork-tender, flipping once halfway through. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside to cool. If desired, you can reduce the sauce to thicken before serving. To serve, slice the roast when it’s completely cool. Return it to the pot to warm in the sauce, transfer to a platter, and serve.

To dry roast (for a medium-rare chewy texture): Prepare the roast as per step 2. In a large bowl, toss the onions with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Place the roast on a baking sheet and spread the onions around the roast. Preheat the oven to 450°F and “roast for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and roast for approximately 25 minutes, or until the desired internal temperature is reached (130°F recommended). Rest for 10 minutes, slice, and serve with roasted onions (not recommended to freeze).

Note

A Delmonico roast is like the rib-eye of the chuck or shoulder portion of the steer. It is a tender cut that can be braised or dry-roasted. If you can’t find that cut, you may use a brick roast, French roast, or square roast.

Freezer-Friendly

To freeze the cooked roast, let the meat cool, then slice it crosswise and against the grain. Place the meat in an airtight container with the sauce, and freeze. The night before you’re ready to serve, transfer the frozen roast to the refrigerator to thaw. Transfer to an oven-safe baking dish and reheat in a 350°F oven for 25 minutes or until warmed through (this is for the braised roast; I do not recommend freezing the dry-roasted beef).

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Apr 26 2023, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 10:21 am
oh I want to see this cookbook

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 10:31 am
tichellady wrote:
oh I want to see this cookbook

It's an interesting cookbook - I got it last month and have been making a few of her recipes.

I think she is based in the UK judging from what she calls some of the ingredients. I had to google what a "swede" was when I made one of her chicken recipes.

She says this is an book of international recipes. I would say that is true but they seem to be more of a fusion with Ashkenazi tastes rather than authentic - not that this is bad. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics