Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Info on Cleveland
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 9:18 pm
Hello. I'm looking for info on Cleveland. We are Lubavitch, so thoughts on the Chabad community especially are appreciated. Thanks!

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 11:21 pm
There's not much Chabad here. There's Chabad of Beachwood, and Chabad of Solon. Chabad of Solon isn't in a frum community and pretty much nobody but the Rabbi at Chabad of Solon is frum. But Chabad of Beachwood is in the middle of the Beachwood frum community and most Chabad of Beachwood members are Chabad, my husband tells me. We're not Chabad and live in Cleveland Heights (a mixed community-- some yeshivish, some modern). There's a small Chabad shul here in Cleveland Heights too but I think most people who go to it aren't Chabad.

So that's it--- pretty much just one Chabad shul here unless you want to live in Solon.

But other than the lack of Chabad, there's a lot of wonderful reasons to live in Cleveland--- low cost of living, interesting weather, no traffic, nice people, etc etc! Feel free to PM me and we can chat--- I LOVE it here!

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:43 am
There is a very nice chabad shul in Cleveland Heights and it is well attended by many chabad people. There is also a great Sunday school chassidus classes for children and many programs. The shluchim here are well established and very famous in Lubavitch, a daughter of Bubbe Maryasha. We live in Cleveland and are part of the chabad community here. Feel free to pm me.

There are many good things in general about Cleveland. One thing is that the housing prices are quite low and it is possible to get a beautiful home for a great price. There are many restaraunts, schools, etc., many frum families and the kids all play together on Shabbos.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:49 am
I will try and PM both of you later. Thanks for all the info.

While I'm writing, though, can you tell me about the schools in the area? Thanks!

marina

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:54 am
There are three main schools for elementary: Hebrew Academy, Mosdos and Mizrachi. Mizrachi is Modern Orthodox, Mosdos is a Bais Yaakov type and Hebrew Academy is in the middle, but closer to a Bais Yaakov type. All the schools have boys divisions as well. In Mizrachi the kids are mixed in elementary, in mosdos they are in another building and in Hebrew Academy, they are on a different floor/wing. For high school there are telze yeshiva and Hebrew Academy high school and then there is Yavneh ( Hebrew Academy) for girls and Mosdos for girls.

There is no official chabad school, but my kids go to the sunday chassidus classes and learn yiddish and yomim tovim and chassidus there.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:57 am
Schools!

Mizrachi--- very modern, zionist, college prep oriented.

Hebrew Academy--- a mix-- some kids go to college, some don't.

Mosdos---- not modern-- it's the no tv/no internet school. Smile

We know kids at all 3 schools, and families at each school seem happy and the schools all seem to get along well with each other. I believe mosdos is not under the Jewish Education Center, but the other 2 are. So teachers at Hebrew academy and Mizrachi are all liscened and experienced, etc.

Our kids won't be old enough for school for a while, but we'll probably be Hebrew Academy bound when the time is right.

I think you can view a lot about the schools online.

try hac1.org for HAC, and fuchsmizrachi.org for Mizrachi.

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 11:22 am
Theres Zemach Zedek on Lee Rd in Cleveland heights thats a chabad shul, but its a bit of a far walk from the rest of the cleveland heights community. And most of the people I've seen there have been older russian people (as in 60s and 70s). The rav and rebetzin there are really special.

The chabadnikim in cleveland are really great. I was part of their bat mitzva club program way back when and I find I gained a lot- even though I'm not chabad. (Chemda jacobs was in charge of it then, I dunno if its still around and who runs it now.)

Marina, I'm sooo curious who you are...

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 11:47 am
so interesting. I used to babysit for her while she went to do it. btw I loved cleve. . People are very warm and welcoming.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:05 pm
Seraph or Aidelmom--- I don't know you two, do I?

Marina--- are you who I think you might be? hi! Smile

Seraph

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 12:13 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
Seraph or Aidelmom--- I don't know you two, do I?

Marina--- are you who I think you might be? hi! Smile

No, you moved there after I left. I'm out of the community for quite a few years...

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 2:17 pm
well I wouldn't know if I know you, twinsmommy, cause I don't know who you are. How many years did you live in Cleve.? Wink

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 11:58 pm
Aidelmom, I've only been here 3 years.... you're still here? If so, I'm the only mom of twins on Harvey. Do you know me? Smile

Seraph, if you've been gone more than 3 years, you don't know me. We moved here in summer 05.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:39 am
well I've been gone more than 3 yrs, so I guess I don't know you. Though I did live on Harvey at one point.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:48 am
another ex Harvey gal---- you didn't happen to live at 3574, did you? (I heard there was a nice large family who used to live in our home many years ago, and they made aliyah--- were you part of that family by any chance?)

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:21 am
there's plenty of chabad in cleveland heights - including a women's shiur every shabbos afternoon ... tzivos Hashem things constantly going on for the kids ... so what if tzemach tzedek is a bit of a walk ... nothing most people cannot handle ...

by the way breslov - I really don't think you should be putting people's names out here in cyberspace that are not aware of it ...

oh and just for the record ... none of you know each other ... Nervous ... but I do !!!

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:32 am
LOL greenfire , Twinsmommy- PM me if you want to know more

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:46 am
hm could be aidel & breslov were neighbors ... Wink

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:48 am
I thought her baby had a familiar look. (in her original avatar)

marina

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 11:04 pm
Tzemach Tzedek has plenty of young couples with children. They have a new children's room even.

Seraph

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 2:13 am
greenfire wrote:

by the way breslov - I really don't think you should be putting people's names out here in cyberspace that are not aware of it ...

what is the harm in that? Why is it an issue to write her name but not to write asiking info about rabbi chaiken or something, which I've seen here before?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating