Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your most important extra to a kosher kitchen?
1  2  3  Next

What's your most important extra to a kosher kitchen?
Two sinks  
 55%  [ 95 ]
Three sinks  
 4%  [ 7 ]
Two dishwashers  
 6%  [ 11 ]
Extra freezer  
 14%  [ 24 ]
Pesach kitchen  
 7%  [ 13 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Two ovens  
 10%  [ 18 ]
Two stoves  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 170

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:20 pm
Or two or three..

Let me know if I missed anything important, and I'll change the poll.

snooper86

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:22 pm
I voted for the 2 ovens. I wouldn’t consider 2 sinks extra to a kosher kitchen, it’s practically a must. (Although I know people who have lived with 1 sink, however it’s extremely difficult)

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:24 pm
If your goal is less chance for error, you need many of the above.

I'd go with two sinks though, you can always use a plug in burner and big toaster for whatever you cook less of. (for me that's milchig)

I'd love two dishwashers but you can make do without.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:27 pm
Not a big deal to have a toaster oven. So two sinks. Hashem should bentch everyone with the wealth and space and energy to have 4 kitchens in every Jewish home.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:29 pm
A kosher chef Smile

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:31 pm
Of course 2 sinks!! Everything else is really a bonus but not at all necessary but having one sink means you need to constantly keep track of what's where & makes things more complicated.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:32 pm
I don't consider two sinks an extra. I think of it as a basic. To me extra is a luxury, totally not necessary but enjoyed.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:32 pm
2 sinks definitely!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:36 pm
Yeah with the extra I was thinking a pot filler lol

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:42 pm
I have 2 sinks, 2 ovens and 3 dishwashers. I'm incredibly lucky.

At the same time, there's something really wrong with insisting that two sinks is a necessity. It's nice and it's easy, but it's not a necessity.

Every time a rav tells you that you must have two of something, ask how many his grandmother had. Jewish women have kept kosher for centuries without two sinks. They had one oven, and everything went in there. And their food was kosher.

It's easier to keep a kosher home when someone else kashers your chicken. I'm not saying we have to suffer. I'm saying that convenience isn't a religious requirement.

We must not confuse affluence with halacha.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:33 pm
I've never had a kitchen with 2 sinks, not growing up and not while I've been married (20 years). It's much easier to deal with than you would think. I voted for the extra freezer.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:35 pm
Extra freezer followed by 2 dishwashers. If I can't have 2 dishwashers, then 2 sinks.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
I've never had a kitchen with 2 sinks, not growing up and not while I've been married (20 years). It's much easier to deal with than you would think. I voted for the extra freezer.

Same. 1 sink, married 20+ years, voted extra freezer.

gootlfriends

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:41 pm
To me extra freezer so you can cool in advance or freeze leftovers. I grew up with 1 sink and 1 oven. We used the toaster for pizza and quiche. My bubby was a simple woman who made pesach from scratch but she had an extra freezer.

Reality

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:44 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I have 2 sinks, 2 ovens and 3 dishwashers. I'm incredibly lucky.

At the same time, there's something really wrong with insisting that two sinks is a necessity. It's nice and it's easy, but it's not a necessity.

Every time a rav tells you that you must have two of something, ask how many his grandmother had. Jewish women have kept kosher for centuries without two sinks. They had one oven, and everything went in there. And their food was kosher.

It's easier to keep a kosher home when someone else kashers your chicken. I'm not saying we have to suffer. I'm saying that convenience isn't a religious requirement.

We must not confuse affluence with halacha.

Yes and no. It is certainly not a necessity. I know frum families with one sink. It makes life harder, but it is doable.

It is a fallacy to bring up the past though. The way we eat and cook today is so different from our great- grandparents, you can't compare. My great-grandparents were always fleishigs. Everything they cooked they used shmaltz. They barely ate milchigs and didn't own anything pareve. So having one sink wasn't a big deal.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:18 pm
Is it either/or?
My opinion (in order of priorities):
2 sinks
2 ovens
3 sinks
3 ovens
dishwashers (1/2/3)
Extra freezer
Extra fridge/freezer
Pesach kitchen

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:21 pm
My extra would be a third sink for baking and parve. 2 ovens and sinks is a basic I think.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:22 pm
I wouldn’t say two sinks is a necessity, but to me it’s even less “extra” than just one dishwasher would be.

bsy

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:29 pm
First is 2 sinks
Then extra freezer
I have no dishwashers so can't comment on that. I have 1 oven but I do have a convection/microwave oven for the other gender

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:33 pm
So true. I would vote for a few of the choices. I have one dishwasher. I was told I can use it for meat and pareve. We're not very into dairy. So my vote is 2 sinks, 2 ovens (I have 3) , 2 stoves, pesach kitchen, extra freezer
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen