Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
How to measure add-on fabric?

it’s okay!

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:40 pm
I ordered a dress I love but it’s very short. I got some fabric to add on, but I can’t figure out how to measure how much I need to add. Is there any way I can do it without another person?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:45 pm
Smooth out the dress on a smooth surface. Measure the bottom of the hem as it runs from left to right. Then double that amount (since you need the same amount in the back).

it’s okay!

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:46 pm
I meant length-wise, if I wear the dress how can I measure how much fabric to add to make it into my desired length?

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:50 pm
Do you mean how wide a piece you need? The number of inches you need to add to reach the dress length you want, plus two inches for the hem, plus five eighths to three quarters inch for the seam joining the added panel to the original dress.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:55 pm
Ah. Take a dress you already own that is of similar cut and the right length. Spread it on a large flat surface. Superimpose the new dress on it, aligning shoulders, sleeves and waistband if any. Measure how far the longer dress extends beyond the shorter. This is how much length you need to add.

Caveat: they must be of similar cut because cut affects apparent length when worn. A straight, narrow cut
"reads" shorter than an A-line reads shorter than a wide flare or gathered style.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:45 pm
Safety pin on a fabric measuring tape going downwards and look into the mirror to see how many inches you need to add.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:36 pm
When measuring it will make a difference if the bottom of the dress is a straight or curved hem. Sometimes flairy dresses are curved. Then you will need additional length so you can cut the same curve in the new hem and at the joining seam

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:38 pm
When adding to the bottom of a dress, you usually double the fabric rather than making a hem. So if you need 3 extra inches, double that to 6 inches, then add seam allowance of 1.25 inches (5/8ths doubled).
I would try to find s/o to help me measure the length needed as that would be the most accurate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing