Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Daughter picks her nose all day

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:09 pm
Ok ok I know she’s only 3.5..
But it is gross and drives me nuts.
She picks her nose and then puts her finger in her mouth.
I am not sure how to proceed
Ignore and then potentially will just be habit she never grows out of… or say something and risk calling attention to it..
Any advice…

Cressel

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:11 pm
It is likely a fidgeting issue.

Usually kids who need sensory stimulation will pick their noses.

Give her other fidgets or sensory fun things to hold/play with. The more exciting the hand-sized sensory toy is, the less tempted she’ll be to pick it.

You likely can’t stop it completely at this age, but you can certainly reduce it through this method.

We used it and found it to work well.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:14 pm
Ha my 1.5 year old also picks his nose a lot and people who see it make all kinds of comments but at this age there is literally nothing I can do. He doesn’t talk much and cannot really understand we many times as I tell him no…

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:18 pm
I’ll add that those who pick a lot often have a lot to pick - lots of boogers. It’s not just a bad habit. So addressing that piece - I.e. preventing the boogers- may help because if there isn’t much to pick then over time they well can stop doing it. For example using a saline spritz to keep the nose moist. But with kids who who have allergies like my son there is always some gunk there…let’s be real even adults pick their noses sometimes (but hopefully somewhere private and with washed fingers!) when a tissue isn’t doing the trick. A bigger kid can be trained to pick their nose in private if they need to

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:20 pm
Very compulsive for my kids. NAC helped. Treating parasites helped. And homeopathy.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:21 pm
Second the saline spray.

Give dd the spray and a pack of tissues.

Teach dd to spray, then blow.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Very compulsive for my kids. NAC helped. Treating parasites helped. And homeopathy.

How did you get your kids to take nac?!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:32 pm
My dd is 6 and I just couldnt get her to stop. After a while I took her to doctor for a sore throat and it ended up being a strept probably caused by impetigo in the nose which is what was really bothering her.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:36 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
How did you get your kids to take nac?!
taught them to swallow pills really young. For 3.5 I would do liquid glutathione instead

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:38 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
My dd is 6 and I just couldnt get her to stop. After a while I took her to doctor for a sore throat and it ended up being a strept probably caused by impetigo in the nose which is what was really bothering her.
very interesting. One of my nose pickers gets impetigo a lot. We were told to treat with highest potency manuka honey inside the nostrils because that’s where the colonization begins. I never made the connection to nose picking

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:53 pm
Same with my 6 year old. And biting nails all day. Her fingers are either in her nose or mouth.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:56 pm
My 6 year old is the same way. It makes me crazy, but I keep telling myself he won’t be doing it walking down the aisle. He’s soon gonna realize how it’s socially off and he’ll stop

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:25 am
amother Maroon wrote:
My 6 year old is the same way. It makes me crazy, but I keep telling myself he won’t be doing it walking down the aisle. He’s soon gonna realize how it’s socially off and he’ll stop

You hope. I had a boss who did this when she was thinking hard.

salt

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:25 am
Put that stuff on her finger that has a bad taste for stopping biting nails.

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 3:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok ok I know she’s only 3.5..
But it is gross and drives me nuts.
She picks her nose and then puts her finger in her mouth.
I am not sure how to proceed
Ignore and then potentially will just be habit she never grows out of… or say something and risk calling attention to it..
Any advice…

I am a grown up who does it

No not in public

It’s an anxiety response
It calms me down to do it.

I have an amazing family and a job, so if you are concerned how she turns out, she may turn out just fine.
When I look around at my workplace, I see other adults who pick their nose when engrossed in thoughts. It happens
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics